Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 247637 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Unicorns
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:57:51 AM »
Unicorn; n.; a mythical creature resembling a horse, with a single horn in the center of its forehead.

But this is a poster forum, so a unicorn in terms of posters would be those posters that you have heard tales or seen pictures of but you do not really believe exist beyond that until you see one yourself with your own eyes.  I won't ask which unicorns you are searching for, but some of us have such posters in our collection.  Lets see them!  

My 2:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:35:07 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Unicorns
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:26:29 AM »
Wow - great topic!  I do have two rare posters, although they certainly are not nearly as impressive as Pi and The Prestige.

I bought a "printers proof" of a Girl Next Door video poster from Skiper/Roger.  It's a different pose from the other versions (check out these versions on MPDB).  Thierry says he's seen this version pop up occasionally but I can't find one for sale now.

I also bought the rare double-sided Jackie Brown/Bridget Fonda movie poster from Holiday.  No dealers sell the DS version of Fonda and it's never been auctioned at Emovieposter or Heritage.  Once in a blue moon it pops up on Ebay - Saw snagged one for $7 by pure chance.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:52:23 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

guest8

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »
I guess I havent been around long enough to see anything so rare that its only popped up once or never and Ive only seen the artwork online somewhere .. So in my case .. It would be a Lightening, Matrix poster ..

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
Hey marklawd, give us an update on your Thai Lord of the Rings "Ring" poster.  Did you ever figure that one out? That's a cool poster and a true "unicorn."

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »
Whether it is real, fan art, or what, that is the best designed LOTR poster I have seen, and it isnt close.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:09:16 AM »
this is my unicorn. i dont own it but iv been after it for 7 years now nearly. i only know of 2 people who have them.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

www.AmovieMasterpiece.co.uk
www.Twitter.com/ammasterpiece.co.uk

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
That is not the image of either of the Thai LOTR posters I bought. I never did any research but I think cj did - he has one poster image up on his site. Both are double-sided and I don't think many surfaced as was first speculated. I firmly believe that the posters, which were printed locally, were to have been distributed in the SE Asia region but were pulled because of the HSBC logo printed on them - the bank having pulled out of a funding arrangement. I'll try and post images of the two posters when I get a chance. I do not subscribe to the popular view that everything that comes out of Thailand has to be a fake and I will keep an open mind as to whether they are original or not until firm evidence surfaces either way.

Jon, I share your despair at ever finding that BTTF.

Mark

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »
Surely Thierry has one?  I have his address somewhere...you two can just make a pact that whomever makes it out of the house alive gets to keep the treasure...OR you could share it...6 months in one house, 6 months the other.

Does someone have a link the LOTR poster you are talking about...I'm intrigued now...
Ves

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
Click below for a pic of the lord of the rings poster. When I first saw this poster, I was a nonbeliever. However, my opinion changed after speaking to a die hard LOTR collector of all LOTR collectables including movie paper. I do know that not many of these are around. They don't pop up often.
http://www.moviepostermadness.com/Movie_Poster_Madness/Thai_Posters.html#0

Cj

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
this is my unicorn. i dont own it but iv been after it for 7 years now nearly. i only know of 2 people who have them.

I checked the Emovie and Heritage past auctions.  Emovie has never sold it and Heritage sold one for $195 in Feb 2006. Who got that one?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:42 PM »
Dazed and Confused premier art.

Can you post pic?  And is there way to access Dan's old site info?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »
Hmm...  Interesting topic. 

Mine used to be the 3 Gremlins posters (you know them by now) but now that I own them, my most wanted (which I have never seen anywhere except in picture) would be this Hungarian Close Encounters poster.  And yes, I have contact more than 20 people in Hungary (where selling posters is still against the law).

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
I checked the Emovie and Heritage past auctions.  Emovie has never sold it and Heritage sold one for $195 in Feb 2006. Who got that one?

Not me.  I got mine on Ebay for less ($145 I think).  Now that more people know about the poster, I have the feeling it would never sell for so little again.  I know of at least 5 people who desperately want it.

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »
IF IF IF IF it's not a bootleg, the ultimate unicorn is the Star Wars "International" Empire Strikes Back version.

Only two are known to exist.  Emovieposter sold this for $1800 several months ago.  Cinemasterpieces has the other one for $2595.

Both came from yet-to-be-determined consignor in Japan.  

I wrote extensively about this poster on MPF.  In summary it has the original Kastel artwork, which previously was only seen on the album and novel.  According to the Star Wars Poster Book, the studio ordered Kastel to remove Lando & Boba Fett and some other changes.  The studio used the revised version for the official poster.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »
A few of my 'unicorns' would be:

1) Detour 1945 daybill

2) Decoy 1946 daybill

3) Nightmare Alley 1947 daybill

4) The Big Combo 1955 daybill

All of these are at such a mystical level I cannot find even a picture of a single one of them to prove its actual existence!
Chris

morphine

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 10:12:21 PM »
Unicorn; n.; a mythical creature resembling a horse, with a single horn in the center of its forehead.

But this is a poster forum, so a unicorn in terms of posters would be those posters that you have heard tales or seen pictures of but you do not really believe exist beyond that until you see one yourself with your own eyes.  I won't ask which unicorns you are searching for, but some of us have such posters in our collection.  Lets see them!  

My 2:

That 'pi' one is freaking me out. I like it.

Jason.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »
I think my Unicorn would have to be the Superman Lives 1-sheet.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
Links or pics, please?

I need visual stimulation to get satisfaction  :o

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
Lost Boys Double Crown, sure some have been sold, I gave up looking for one.

American Werewolf Advance - seen a few, either they got snagged before I saw it or I got obliterated in the bidding war.

There are others, but I dont really maintain a want list per say, probably saves me some money.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 12:54:19 PM »

There are others, but I dont really maintain a want list per say, probably saves me some money.

Without a doubt.

Chad

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »
Mystery of Marie Celest Daybill - never seen one. Hope it exists. Someone send me one and Ill send you 1000 posters in return
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
Damn Ari you like to make things difficult for yourself!

Let's see:

1) 1935/1936 = long daybill
2) Early Hammer production
3) BELA LUGOSI
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 09:57:43 PM »
I know, rarer than most and may not even exist, but I can dream
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 02:59:19 AM »
Great analogy and topic. My most elusive unicorn of the last 5 years is oddly enough a video poster. The fabled Dazed and Confused Premier Video Poster. I'm usually guarded about my want list but some unicorns are so elusive I can't announce my search loud enough. Buckle in for the ride:

There were three different posters featuring the Dazed and Confused premier art. Non of them are true "movie posters". Two of the three posters are 22" x 35" and have the appearance of screen prints (but not true screen prints) that were printed to be used in production offices as well as the premier of Dazed at the Paramount Theater in Austin. The two posters are near identical with the most notable exception being one print run was hand numbered and one run was not. The two styles are commonly referred to as "signed" and "unsigned". Those two styles can be found with some real determination, even though they are not original theatrical movie posters. They're smaller in size though still very costly at around $1000 for either.

The poster I'm after is far more trying. It uses the same premier art as the other two but it's the video paper made specifically for Universal Home Video and poster artist Frank Kozik. A limited run of this video poster printed on a Sunday, August 22nd 1994 which was unusual because the printers are closed on Sunday. The count is said to be 100 even. And unlike the other two the video paper is a full 27 x 41. This information has been told me by at least three people and Dan Rickard's account matches almost perfectly with what I've been told.

I have seen the smaller version surface a few times, but never the 27x41.  Love the Kosik art too.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 03:04:22 AM »
Hmm...  Interesting topic. 

Mine used to be the 3 Gremlins posters (you know them by now) but now that I own them, my most wanted (which I have never seen anywhere except in picture) would be this Hungarian Close Encounters poster.  And yes, I have contact more than 20 people in Hungary (where selling posters is still against the law).

Ahh, those pesky Magyar posters.  That one guy surfaced at mpf and started talking about hungarian posters and then disappeared.  I think he was a scammer looking to get some paypal money off easy marks.  It was just a little too convenient that that guy showed up right after we had a brief discussion about them, claiming to have one of the very posters I had been looking for. 
Schan
My Poster Gallery