Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 250844 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Unicorns
« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
 welcome1 DSOS. 

Very cool stuff.   sm1

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »
Also, what does anyone think about the Batman Begins DS International onesheet?  Is that rare enough to be considered a unicorn?  Or do a lot of people have one?  Obviously the best paper for the first movie...

Actually, many people consider the Style A Advance tops on the title.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #377 on: November 07, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
That rolled Aliens is awesome.  Welcome back, Steve!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
« Reply #378 on: November 07, 2012, 07:08:22 AM »
Actually, many people consider the Style A Advance tops on the title.

Seriously?  It looks like all of the other U.S. onesheets with that reddish-orange background and whoa! a silhouette.  Obviously it's personal taste and preference, but I prefer the Batcave/noir/black, white, and gray/dark and misty and foreboding poster to any of the U.S. posters.  I have them, because I'm a completist, but this was insanely hard to find when it came out (primarily because it was an international style, produced by a completely separate firm), and I could only get a handful of copies from one dealer (to remain anonymous); no one else in the entire country could get them, and when they were sold out, that was it.  Never selling mine.  It's just a world apart from all the U.S. posters, which are all just variations on one simple, bland theme.  At least Dark Knight took the posters in a new direction and color pallet.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #379 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:59 AM »
Welcome to APF, Steve.
I also like the Intl. design a lot, especially in quad format.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #380 on: November 07, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
Welcome Steve, I assume the same Steve that used to be dsonesheets, hmm, where? MPT?

Ari
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #381 on: November 07, 2012, 09:01:38 AM »
That rolled Aliens is awesome.  Welcome back, Steve!

While I hadn't seen many... I didn't realize it was rare.  I bought it on eBay for the opening bid with no competition (well <$50) and I'm pretty sure I sold it to T for the same thing I paid. 

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »
Here is the sidewalks in new york title card that you wanted to see

Tait

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
Tait

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2013, 12:25:01 AM »
That's a beauty...very very nice.
I'd like to see a thread of all of your goods collected.
 cheers

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
I believe there are four double crowns for HELL DRIVERS, that's what I want.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #386 on: March 09, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »

does this count as a unicorn? I am wondering how many were actually printed?

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #387 on: March 09, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
I have one of those but I'm not sure it's original. How is the print quality on yours?

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #388 on: March 09, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »

I'm just learning how to post photos so.....enjoy!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:55:52 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #389 on: March 09, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »
Damn straight I'm enjoying.  clap clap clap clap
Spanky looks like he's only 3-4 years old in the top card.
Outstanding.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #390 on: March 09, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
Damn straight I'm enjoying.  clap clap clap clap
Spanky looks like he's only 3-4 years old in the top card.
Outstanding.

Spanky FTW!

Great cards!

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #391 on: March 09, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Thank you sir..sharing these rarities is a pleasure ....The early sound our gang cards with spanky are all ...literally...unicorns

Once Again.......enjoy!!!

Tait

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #392 on: March 10, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »
Thank you sir..sharing these rarities is a pleasure ....The early sound our gang cards with spanky are all ...literally...unicorns

Once Again.......enjoy!!!

Those are great. I like the Chaplins. The Keatons are good to. Thanks for sharing those.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #393 on: June 06, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »
A true blue unicorn sold tonight (forgive the mixed metaphor):

Bruce's description: "I have been searching for this poster for over 20 years, ever since I first learned of its existence! At that time, I saw images of three different advance posters, one showing attendees on a car, one showing a black man walking, and this one, with the close up of the hand. Over the years, I found several of the "car" teaser, and I have seen the "black man" teaser offered for sale, but I had never seen this poster, and I was beginning to wonder if it was a discarded "concept" poster that never made it to print (which would surely be understandable, as it would have been extremely controversial in 1970!). However, I have now been consigned this poster, and it comes from a collection from a former theater owner, and so we know the poster DID make it to theaters in 1970 after all (but I still have never seen another example!)."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:50:33 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #394 on: June 07, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »
Fooking hippies...
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #395 on: June 08, 2013, 04:15:03 AM »
Yeah ban them.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
Yeah ban them.

Agree. Right after they pass the pipe.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »
I've been looking for a first release since I started collecting and after 5 years figured it would be next to impossible to find.  The movie was a box-office bomb and it sat languishing in a storage vault until after the Cold War (the film has a really long and interesting history).  Even if people were collecting posters back then, this probably wouldn't be at the tops of their list to save.  It did have really cool art by a local painter, which may have helped it a bit.  Still, I doubted there were many, if any floating around for purchase.  Then of course I found one  :)

The original is (quite obviously) on the left.  It's printed on MUCH lower quality paper stock in terms of materials (acidic, tanned, fragile), but at the same time it had a nicer, heaftier feel.  The later printing is on paper probably not as thick as 2 pieces of cheap white printer paper.  I was told the reprint was done by the same communist-run national film distribution company that printed the original, probably sometime in the 80s.  Although looking at it closely again out of the frame, it looks like maybe 90s.  It's a nice screen print, but NOTHING like the original...

The original inks were oil-based, as can be seen by the heavy leaching on the back. They are not very good in terms of long term conservation of the paper, but damn are they pretty.  The two posters were placed directly centered under a ceiling light for my photos and you can see how it reflects easily off the later printing -- with hotter reflections in the upper center.  The original should show the mirror image of that reflection pattern, but the matte paper and inks just eat the light.  They colors have a beautiful saturation and intensity in person. 

And in terms of print quality I definitely prefer the original when I see them side-by-side.  Much more nuanced detail -- look at the lines on the face and the white ball with smaller red/black balls in it in the lower right.  If they did use the original screens to print this they just globbed on the black layer.  And the red isn't much better.  The inks were also printed in different orders -- the original put down yellow then red, while the later printing put down yellow then grey, and a much lighter grey at that. 

Anyway, it's a really well done screen print that an internet picture cannot do proper justice.  I'm so happy to have finally found one!  If anyone hasn't seen movie and you enjoy watching beautifully shot and technically-amazing filmmaking, then check it out.  It's a Soviet-Cuban joint production, so expect it to be propaganda-ish in terms of story.  But if you can suspend any biases you may have from the origins of the film, you will be richly rewarded.  It has one of the most incredible long shots in the history of cinema! 

"In another scene, the camera follows a flag over a body, held high on a stetcher, along a crowded street. Then it stops and slowly moves upwards for at least four storeys until it is filming the flagged body from above a building. Without stopping it then starts tracking sideways and enters through a window into a cigar factory, then goes straight towards a rear window where the cigar workers are watching the procession. The camera finally passes through the window and appears to float along over the middle of the street between the buildings. These shots were accomplished by the camera operator having the camera attached to his vest—like an early, crude version of a Steadicam—and the camera operator also wearing a vest with hooks on the back. An assembly line of technicians would hook and unhook the operator's vest to various pulleys and cables that spanned floors and building roof tops." From the Wikipedia Entry

Charlie

« Reply #398 on: June 25, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
Congrats Matt!  You did it again!

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #399 on: June 25, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
Fooking awesome.

Jealous.   Very, very jealous.

--Peter