Author Topic: Unicorns  (Read 250884 times)

Carson

Re: Unicorns
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »
WTF!

When did this happen, Mel? How did it not pop up on my triangulation? I paid big money to have an algorithm created that would tell me anytime a LIT poster is published to the world wide web across eBay and all dealers! How much did it go for?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »
WTF!

When did this happen, Mel? How did it not pop up on my triangulation? I paid big money to have an algorithm created that would tell me anytime a LIT poster is published to the world wide web across eBay and all dealers! How much did it go for?

It happened a couple of hours ago here.   I spotted it a week ago while looking through the 2000s US-Internationals Ebay auctions.  Once in a blue moon I'll spot a "diamond in the rough" like this.  

Carson

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »
Thanks for the deets, Mel.

It's the real thing but the miracle is it's C9+ bordering on minty fresh. I'm sure there's been others but that one makes a grand total of 2 I've seen on eBay. Whoever it is got one smokin' deal on that one. With that high of feedback I'd bet it (the buyer) was a dealer.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »
Yes, the seller made the mistake of sticking it only in the "Internationals" section, which gets much less attention than the US Originals.  That poster sold for $250 on Emovie a couple of months ago.   I knew it was worth more than $115 when I bid but I already have the Spanish version (with English title), so that was my limit.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »
WTF!

I hope this is a late April Fool's joke Carson ;)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
this is my unicorn. i dont own it but iv been after it for 7 years now nearly. i only know of 2 people who have them.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

So Google reveals that Bill Wallen, who is the "Wallen" of "Wallen Green Direct Marketing," which marketed this poster, is still around and doing business as "Wallen Design."  Anybody know anything about him/them?

The less valuable version of that poster:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:25:54 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2010, 12:32:30 AM »
Anybody have this Schindler's List unused Saul Bass design?  Pretty sweet.  Spotted it in Cmasterpieces' listing.  The Google God reports that only 200 were made and distributed to insiders.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2010, 07:21:16 AM »
They were available to purchase from Moviegoods.com, I believe that was the only place to buy and they only had about 5 copies available I think. I know Thierry has one because I sent him a heads up about them, although he may have already known. His Spielberg senses were probably tingling as soon as they went up! Nice poster though.

guest8

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
At Mel's request I'm posting up the Lilly Cole, Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus poster with the info I have about its release and availability for collectors (or lack there of) ...

Well the story as far as this poster goes something like this ..

This was printed SS OS style for the UK premier of the movie, there were 500 copies made, its hard to say if the theater copies were collected or if a sneaky theater employee may have gotten there hands on a couple ... But the remaining copies were all given to Terry/Amy Gilliam. They are kept by the Gilliam's for personal use, gifts to family and friends or special circumstance .. or something along those lines.

There was three given to members of the films fan site, (which is were I got mine) as for the others, one went to the site owner/admin and I have been told by her that she will never ever part with the poster it is a special part of her memorabilia collection .. the third owner I dont know who that is I could have possibly looked it up when I got my poster, but honestly I didnt think about it then and now that the movie is on DVD and Terry is working on a new project the Imaginarium fan site is no longer up.

So unless you know the Gilliam's or know someone who does that could put in the request on your behalf the likely-hood of any number of these hitting the open market is slim at best.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2010, 09:21:50 PM »
At Mel's request I'm posting up the Lilly Cole, Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus poster with the info I have about its release and availability for collectors (or lack there of) ...

This was printed SS OS style for the UK premier of the movie, there were 500 copies made, its hard to say if the theater copies were collected or if a sneaky theater employee may have gotten there hands on a couple

It's up for International Poster of the Year at the Key Art Awards.  How can they nominate a poster that was never distributed?

guest8

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
Well it was produced and used at the UK Premier .. Just because it was only used for one show in one theater doesnt mean it wasnt distributed .. Just not widely distributed ;)

masterpizza2

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2010, 11:29:56 PM »
My Unicorn would have to be my Story of Ricky Poster. Had to pay a pretty penny for this poster. If only it was mint. :(
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6982/dscf3091y.jpg

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »
Anybody have this Schindler's List unused Saul Bass design?  Pretty sweet.  Spotted it in Cmasterpieces' listing.  The Google God reports that only 200 were made and distributed to insiders.

These posters came from Tom Martin, who was head of distribution at Universal at the time of release.  When Moviegoods put them up for sale, they referenced Tom Martin as the source.  So I contacted Tom Martin to make sure it wasn't one of Moviegoods' ploy.  And he did confirmed their authenticity.  They were printed at Saul Bass' request.  About 200 of them.  Bass got a bunch, Martin got the rest and put them up for sale 15 years later using Moviegoods.  The poster is really stunning in person, but not nearly as commercial as the one that was eventually chosen by Spielberg.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »
So I found and bought an extremely rare and nearly-impossible-to-find L.A. Confidential international OS poster hidden away on an international eBay site.  From the information and pictures provided by the seller, I'm pretty sure it's the real deal - as far as I can tell it is NOT the Sonis reprint (as seen here) or the US video version. (Note that Kevin Spacey is wearing a black jacket and the Sonis logo is missing). Supposedly one of the movie producers gave it to the seller's friend.

Wonderful news, right?  Well, there's a catch: it's dry-mounted, which severely damages its value.  However, since I'm a frame freak, I can live with it and can always have it linen-backed.  

Anybody else have this poster?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:12:25 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2010, 12:02:52 AM »
For a minute I thought that was the Canadian one, Mel.  Cool nonetheless, and I hope cheap since its dry mounted.  Still no Prestige UK advances huh i guess  ;)
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Thomsen

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »
My unicorn is this one...

It's an Italian due-fogli (39x55") from Mario Bava's first film (a.k.a. 'Black Sunday'). Heritage has never sold one, neither has emovieposter.com, though Bruce has had a couple of French posters up for auction which utilized the same artwork.

So far it's been pretty elusive. KinoArt had one for sale when I first started collecting, but the price tag of 1700 Euro scared me away.

Since then, I have only seen it up for sale once, this spring on eBay. But as I wrote then in another thread, the seller ended the auction early and traded it privately for another rare Italian poster.

I have searched here and there and everywhere, but lo and behold it looks like I might actually be close to getting one now. I asked for it (again) last week on MoPo, and a seller wrote that she was actually offered it a couple of weeks ago and would inquire for me whether it was still for sale. And even if that doesn't work out, another seller emailed me privately that he might consider selling me his personal copy for the right price. "The right price" probably means I will have to take out a second mortgage, but frankly I don't care. I just want it.  :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2010, 07:28:45 AM »
Kovacs/Prestige poster: "When you believe in things, that you don't understand [or exist], you may suffer, superstition ain't the way" (Stevie Wonder)

Kovacs/LA Confidential: Not particularly cheap at all, especially with international shipping, although I still consider it worthwhile.  Funny that outside our little movie poster neighborhood, people consider dry mounting a huge plus.

Thomsen/Black Sunday: Nice!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:43:15 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
My unicorn is this one...

Now that is a poster-and-a-half.  Good luck and keep us updated on how you make out.  Absolute stunner!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »
Mel, you absolutely kill me.  Every other day you state that you are taking a break from the madness, yet you keep on buying, buying and buying. Obviously, to say you are a "man possessed" is an understatement!  Beautiful poster, man....congrats!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2010, 01:19:28 PM »
Mel, you absolutely kill me.  Every other day you state that you are taking a break from the madness, yet you keep on buying, buying and buying. Obviously, to say you are a "man possessed" is an understatement!  Beautiful poster, man....congrats!

For some posters all financial rationality goes out the window.  This is the SECOND best original poster for L.A. Confidential, one of the best movies of the 1990s. There are substitutes with the same image - particularly the Australian one-sheet as well as non-English language versions - but ya gotta have the real thing, bro.  This one was available for about three days hidden away on an international Ebay site and I was lucky to find it and I had to snatch it quickly.  One of these days hopefully I've have the same luck for the BEST poster for this movie - the Canadian/1998 re-release.  

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »
For some posters all financial rationality goes out the window.  
Know what you mean. In this hobby, "financial reality" goes out the window every day.... you gotta love it.
Again, that is a sweet poster.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Mel, I have that LA Confidential OS and I reckon yours definitely looks like the real deal. I'm 100% certain that mine is legit because of who I bought it from originally. FYI mine is single sided. I've added a close up of the bottom part (and some cracking fun bags) so you can check the details when yours arrives.

My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
Mel, I have that LA Confidential OS and I reckon yours definitely looks like the real deal. I'm 100% certain that mine is legit because of who I bought it from originally. FYI mine is single sided. I've added a close up of the bottom part (and some cracking fun bags) so you can check the details when yours arrives.

Thanks for info, Ed.  I've read Dan R's article on it, it doesn't have the Sonis logo, and the seller - who appears to be very truthful - says it came directly from Arnon Milchan, the producer.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:11 PM »
Now, I haven't posted this "unicorn" of mine on this thread yet, but I have searched for it for almost 10 years and the very few times it did appear, I was outbid.  Today...SUCCESS!

Painted by the late Tim Hildebrandt (of the Brothers Hildebrandt), this seldom-seen masterpiece is one of my all-time schlock-movie poster favorites, ranking right up there with EQUINOX, THE GREEN SLIME and GALAXY OF TERROR.  Outrageous graphics and brilliant colors command the attention, don't they?

This pic is not of the poster I won tonight...the one I won is ROLLED! Buwahaha!!  When I receive it, I'll post it again in New Acquisitions because -- I think it must be seen twice...at least...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
Hopefully they have a good dental plan Brude...
Chris