Author Topic: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession  (Read 40464 times)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
Re: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2017, 11:44:54 PM »
So what's the set I was bidding on?

T

The Witches. Haven't seen the film, but something about that set just told me I had to have it. The rest was all about McCabe & Mrs. Miller. One of the most important films to me, and a set I've wanted from the start.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2017, 11:59:10 PM »
nice set.

Thanks, Jay. Your posts with all those musical title cards were an inspiration to look more at vintage cards. I've been a bit obsessed with complete sets, but I have to start grabbing title cards that appeal to me before they're gone. I keep thinking about what a lost opportunity it was that I didn't start collecting back in the 50s. Seems we're the same age, so you know what I mean...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2017, 12:56:35 AM »
Thanks, Jay. Your posts with all those musical title cards were an inspiration to look more at vintage cards. I've been a bit obsessed with complete sets, but I have to start grabbing title cards that appeal to me before they're gone. I keep thinking about what a lost opportunity it was that I didn't start collecting back in the 50s. Seems we're the same age, so you know what I mean...

You raise an interesting point and this question came to me:

How available (or not) were posters, LC, WC and the like to wannabe, every day collectors back in the 1950's? Was the material available at all? Or just what might have trickled out and was taken by theater employees?

And if the stuff was somewhat available, how would the "average Joe" be able to get it? Also going to local theaters and asking? Or buying from small shops that might have begun to appear on the scene, that also carried film books, etc?  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2017, 01:27:04 AM »
Good question. As often as I went to the movies starting in the mid-to-late 50s, I don't actually recall seeing lobby cards displayed. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention as a kid, too eager to get in see the latest sci-fi or horror flick. Since the cards I have say they are to be returned to the NSS, I assume lots of them were. Were there fines if the theater owners kept them? And if they were returned, what became of them? Where were they returned to? Are there old forgotten warehouses full of them waiting to be discovered?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2017, 01:31:39 AM »
Hopefully, Rich, Grey from HA, Dave L, Dale D, EMP (or others) might chime in here. I'd be curious to know the history of this hobby's roots and I'm sure many others would, too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:00:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
I found some history of the NSS by Googling NSS and landed at learnaboutmovieposters.com. Turns out they made the plates for a while locally here in Cleveland. I wonder if it's worth some local detective work...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:50:54 AM by Dr Bill »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2017, 02:02:23 AM »
LAMP is a well recognized and respected site. And Ed & Sue are wonderful.  (http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/)

Dr Bill... are you in the CLEVE area?

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2017, 02:36:48 AM »
LAMP is a well recognized and respected site. And Ed & Sue are wonderful.  (http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/)

Dr Bill... are you in the CLEVE area?

Kind of. I'm an R&D chemist for a large company with headquarters here. I'm working out my last year or two before retirement after a recent transfer. Temporary apartment here, permanent residence in Florida.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2017, 03:19:32 AM »
Kind of. I'm an R&D chemist for a large company with headquarters here. I'm working out my last year or two before retirement after a recent transfer. Temporary apartment here, permanent residence in Florida.

Very nice. I grew up just east of CLE... about 13 mi east, and I still have family there. I was back there for the holidays, too.

-Jeff

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2017, 06:11:16 AM »
Good question. As often as I went to the movies starting in the mid-to-late 50s, I don't actually recall seeing lobby cards displayed. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention as a kid, too eager to get in see the latest sci-fi or horror flick. Since the cards I have say they are to be returned to the NSS, I assume lots of them were. Were there fines if the theater owners kept them? And if they were returned, what became of them? Where were they returned to? Are there old forgotten warehouses full of them waiting to be discovered?

Here is an article from 19 years ago that gives you some info:
http://www.reelclassics.com/Articles/General/posters-article.htm
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »

I always loved the lobby card display when I was a kid in the 50s.  It was usually in a 1 sheet case, but not the most obvious one.  The cases facing the street always had 1 sheets (or larger) so they could promote to passing cars.  The lobby case generally was on the alcove facing the ticket booth.  It generally had 3 or 4 lobbies and a half dozen stills.
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2017, 09:44:43 AM »
Here in the UK and for the Bond films, I only ever remember seeing a lobby card display for Octopussy.  And that was 1983.

And yet the cards were still being produced up to and including Quantum of Solace.  2008.

For whom were these cards made?  A rhetorical question....

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
Very nice. I grew up just east of CLE... about 13 mi east, and I still have family there. I was back there for the holidays, too.

Well, small world. I'm 18 miles east but work in the city every day. Let me know when you're around the next time and I'll buy you a beer.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »
Here is an article from 19 years ago that gives you some info:
http://www.reelclassics.com/Articles/General/posters-article.htm

Thanks, Bruce. Great article - answered all my questions and then some.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
The Witches.

Ah, yeah, I kinda wanted that set for my Eastwood collection.  I own 27 LC sets on Eastwood, missing 10 or so.  Next time, I guess.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
Thanks, Bruce. Great article - answered all my questions and then some.

Glad to help!
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
Here in the UK and for the Bond films, I only ever remember seeing a lobby card display for Octopussy.  And that was 1983.

And yet the cards were still being produced up to and including Quantum of Solace.  2008.

For whom were these cards made?  A rhetorical question....

I know you don't need an answer, but 99% of these sets are sent to us from South America, Europe, and Australia, and zero of them come from North America and England, so it gives you a sense where they are still being used. I suspect certain countries very much like lobby cards, and THAT is why they are still being made.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
I know you don't need an answer, but 99% of these sets are sent to us from South America, Europe, and Australia, and zero of them come from North America and England, so it gives you a sense where they are still being used. I suspect certain countries very much like lobby cards, and THAT is why they are still being made.

I need an answer.  I don't know about South America, Australia I understand, but Europe (if you remove the UK) baffles me a bit.  France, Germany, Italy, Spain (the largest markets) all have their own lobbies.  Are they used in Eastern Europe?  Greece?  Can you be more specific, Bruce?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »
I suspect the people in Europe who get them get them from nearby countries that don't have their own lobby cards. More than that I can't say. I never ask my consignors where they get their items from.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
Ah, yeah, I kinda wanted that set for my Eastwood collection.  I own 27 LC sets on Eastwood, missing 10 or so.  Next time, I guess.

T

Sorry - I didn't notice it was you until the clock had almost run down and I had placed my last bid. I was done, and I was sure you would bid before it was over - I know by now that your pockets are a lot deeper than mine when it comes to posters. Anyway, best of luck getting another one - I'm sure one will turn up.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »
Dont apologize.  As a rule, I never look at who I'm bidding against, because I know too many people and I don't want to pass on something I want because someone I know wants it too.  Sometimes I agree before the sale, but never during.  And yes, it will show up again.  What can make it a long wait for me is that I always want complete sets and absolutely no pin holes.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2017, 12:40:10 AM »
Well, small world. I'm 18 miles east but work in the city every day. Let me know when you're around the next time and I'll buy you a beer.

Will do, DB! cheers

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2017, 02:50:40 AM »

Well well well!

I had absolutely no idea. 

My confidence in the Knowledge on these boards thus reinforced, no further questions will be rhetorical.  Each and every one will demand a full and complete answer.

Cheers Bruce.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »
In my experience, lobbies for the US market stopped being produced in the early 90s.  Probably after half sheets and inserts were discontinued and about the same time they went to 27x40 for 1sheets.
-Jay-

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2017, 12:46:23 AM »
Futureworld, with Peter Fonda and Blythe Danner - 11" x 14" 8-card set.