Author Topic: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession  (Read 40480 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Dr Bill's Lobby Card Obsession
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
I agree with you, but sometimes it's fun.  Pissing off the other guy (or hoping I did) made me happy.  And if I had won it, oh well, i will probably be worth that 100 years from now.

T

Not sure you did.  Galaxy2001 was bidding lots of stuff up to insane levels.  I picked up 6 sets myself from that auction
Grease 20 Anniversary
Risky Business (fills to complete set)
Something Wild
Flashdance
LA Story
Hot Car Girl

But I lost a few to Galaxy2001.  The guy seemed to be everywhere and didn't seem to care about price.
$320 for "Just One of the Guys"
$315 for "Clue"
$188 for "Caddyshack"

Really??
But... None of these would get up there if there wasn't some other guy hanging in there.  All these auctions had somebody pumping up the price.  And I note you were the guy on Caddyshack at the end.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:54:06 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
I know... $320 for "Just One of the Guys"   laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

I was the guy on 12 Angry Men also and a bunch of others.  12 Angry Men, I really wanted, especially because it didn't have pin holes, if I recall correctly.  I hate PHs on lobbies.  But then I got busy trying to get something else and it slipped through.  But like Dr. Bill said, they all come back at some point.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
#

Had a quick look around on your behalf on my saved links.  Popping a quick search into emp's archives seems to turn up more results for Malena than Paradiso.

This set does seem to be a rare breed.

Good luck

Thanks. I have the German Malena set, and I've found a Legend of 1900 set as well, but nothing else by Tornatore.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
This was a tough set to photograph - the pics don't do it justice.

As Thierry said, we will email you the large unwatermarked images of all you buy. Saves you much time (and if you like unenhanced images, they will likely be better than what you could do). Just let us know.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
Not sure you did.  Galaxy2001 was bidding lots of stuff up to insane levels.  I picked up 6 sets myself from that auction
Grease 20 Anniversary
Risky Business (fills to complete set)
Something Wild
Flashdance
LA Story
Hot Car Girl

But I lost a few to Galaxy2001.  The guy seemed to be everywhere and didn't seem to care about price.
$320 for "Just One of the Guys"
$315 for "Clue"
$188 for "Caddyshack"

Really??
But... None of these would get up there if there wasn't some other guy hanging in there.  All these auctions had somebody pumping up the price.  And I note you were the guy on Caddyshack at the end.

If people want to "bid people up", I can't stop that. But what I CAN stop is people trying to "make the guy pay through the nose" and then they get stuck with the item when the other guy doesn't bid again, and then they try to back out of honoring their bid.

Every week or two I get a "I bid by mistake" email from someone, and if it is obvious they were doing the above, I tell them they must honor their bid or they can't bid anymore. And I stick to it. On eBay, they can just abandon that bidder ID and immediately open a new one. I want only real bidders who honor EVERY bid they make.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »
If people want to "bid people up", I can't stop that. But what I CAN stop is people trying to "make the guy pay through the nose" and then they get stuck with the item when the other guy doesn't bid again, and then they try to back out of honoring their bid.

Every week or two I get a "I bid by mistake" email from someone, and if it is obvious they were doing the above, I tell them they must honor their bid or they can't bid anymore. And I stick to it. On eBay, they can just abandon that bidder ID and immediately open a new one. I want only real bidders who honor EVERY bid they make.

I bid on items I want and my strategy prevents me from paying more than I am willing to spend on an item.  I always love it when at the end of an auction, some guy is bidding me up by $5 a crack repeatedly, extending the auction for multiple cycles.  It just shows how some people just can't understand how your system works.  I just place my best bid shortly before closing and then walk away.  If I don't win it, I don't feel bad because the other guy obviously overpaid.

I must admit that I have once or twice bid by mistake.  It is always because I didn't read the description carefully and am bidding too much on some lesser quality paper, or misread it was a re-release.  I have never asked for a retraction.  Instead, I honor my mistakes and simply hope someone else bids more.  The system runs smooth and I build up a bit of goodwill among the sellers as a 'good' buyer.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »

What if I want to make the guy pay through the nose and still pay without complaining if I win?  It has happened a few times and I won.  I've lost more than I won, so it evens itself out in the end.  And the one person that wins is you, Bruce.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »

I know... $320 for "Just One of the Guys"   laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

I saw that movie when I was a kid, and thought that girl is a badass.  Maybe the other bidders had memories of the movie, also.

--------------------------------

I just happened to notice the title of this thread.  Dr. Bill's Lobby Card Obsession.   cool1

It's impressive how quickly you've acquired such a great collection.  Well done.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 02:48:30 PM by Neo »

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
What if I want to make the guy pay through the nose and still pay without complaining if I win?  It has happened a few times and I won.  I've lost more than I won, so it evens itself out in the end.  And the one person that wins is you, Bruce.

thumbsup.gif

T

You DO honor every bid you place, so you are completely free to bid as you please. You also never complain. 99% of the 41,000 buyers never complain either. It is that 1% though!

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »
I bid on items I want and my strategy prevents me from paying more than I am willing to spend on an item.  I always love it when at the end of an auction, some guy is bidding me up by $5 a crack repeatedly, extending the auction for multiple cycles.  It just shows how some people just can't understand how your system works.  I just place my best bid shortly before closing and then walk away.  If I don't win it, I don't feel bad because the other guy obviously overpaid.

I must admit that I have once or twice bid by mistake.  It is always because I didn't read the description carefully and am bidding too much on some lesser quality paper, or misread it was a re-release.  I have never asked for a retraction.  Instead, I honor my mistakes and simply hope someone else bids more.  The system runs smooth and I build up a bit of goodwill among the sellers as a 'good' buyer.

This is a perfect bidding strategy when the auction house plays fair. You can easily tell, by when you bid $100 and a bidder comes in who bids $90. Then you bid $142, and the bidder bids $138!

At those places you need a different strategy.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2017, 11:15:30 PM »
Back to Dr. Bill's great lobby card collection...

Dr. Bill, your images are reminding me of a huge part of this hobby that I've been ignoring.
Love your collection!
 clap clap clap clap

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »

I just happened to notice the title of this thread.  Dr. Bill's Lobby Card Obsession.   cool1

It's impressive how quickly you've acquired such a great collection.  Well done.

Thanks Neo. It's great fun. So many more movies to collect...

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »
Back to Dr. Bill's great lobby card collection...

Dr. Bill, your images are reminding me of a huge part of this hobby that I've been ignoring.
Love your collection!
 clap clap clap clap

Thanks, Ted. I've been traveling all week, so now it's time for more lobbies. I think you'll like this next set...

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
King Kong, starring Jesscia Lange and Jeff Bridges - 11" x 14" 8-card set.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
Henry & June, starring the delicious Maria de Medeiros as Anaïs Nin, Uma Thurman, and Fred Ward as Henry Miller. Two 23 1/2" x 33" perforated sheets containing 8 German cards per sheet.

Sheet 1

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2017, 09:55:59 PM »
Henry & June, Sheet 2

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2017, 10:05:13 PM »
Great shots there of Ms. Thurman, also.  8)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
Great shots there of Ms. Thurman, also.  8)

Yup, the cherry on top of this movie - but she'll always be Mia Wallace to me.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2017, 12:48:25 AM »
That's a fine looking LC set for Kong, there, Dr Bill.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
You are picking some really great cards here.  I love them.
-Jay-

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2017, 01:51:45 AM »
Thanks, guys - here's a new press kit, Sleepy Hollow, with Johnny Depp & Christina Ricci - 13  8" x 10" B&W photos.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
Press kits with stills..... I think you are gonna need a lot more storage tubs, Dr Bill!  ;D

Nice images in the Sleepy Hollow kit, too, by the way.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:41:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
Yeah, I had to order more sleeves and backs too - never thought my first 100 would be gone so soon. I do have a few more press kits coming from Sunday's auction, but that one was my first impulse press kit buy, from a guy called "spookydave". I'll slow down soon as my business travel picks up, but I still have loads to post.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »
Sleepy Hollow, 8 1/4" x 11" 10-card French set.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2017, 12:48:34 AM »
So it begins. And what better way than two of my favorite things - Winona and Dracula. A 12 card German set of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Such a good looking LC set and this image is great, imho. Oldman's fluid and smooth "removal" of the blood from that straight razor is delectable.  devil 2 

-Jeff