Author Topic: Good lord! Am I out of touch here?  (Read 30723 times)

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
Good lord! Am I out of touch here?
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:39:35 PM »
Just received news from Poster Mountain that my first ever venture into the world of restoration is complete! All very exciting of course until one gets the bill. But of course splendid work never comes cheap! Now I don't mind paying for good work but the biggest shock for me was the cost of postage from the USA to the UK.

Now when I sent out the posters (there are three heading back) they were folded flat and unbacked. Now they are all mounted on linen and restored. Admittedly the largest was a cracking 60 x 40 inches before the work, so it and the other smaller two are bound to be that bit bigger and heavier. Nevertheless the cost of shipping and handling via DHL comes in at a rather chilling $220 ...and that doesn't include insurance. I will of course have to pay to get the posters back and I have raised an eyebrow but they have simply said it's the size of the largest poster (which I'd thought) and offered to add insurance if I wish it (which would doubtless bankrupt me).

Now all you chaps hurtling your cinematographic posters all round the world, please tell me reassuringly that the figure sounds about right. I assume that a percentage must be for packing but I have to think that all three will be sent in one large tube. Pray fire away with your thoughts before I hand over my credit card details...
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Good lord! Am I out of touch here?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »
you must be in the UK.. and so .. yep.. shipping is huge!

length of tube at $44" or more & the weight must be 6-10 lbs

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:57:57 PM »
I think it costs similar for EMP to ship a similar package to Australia, so, I'm not that surprised.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »
But $220. Dear god, that's stiff! I can only assume that they are packing it with ball bearings or original offcuts from the Declaration of Independence  :(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:02:54 PM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
Sounds steep to me.  Did you ask them for options?  You could always ship locally to one of our american friends and he could send it off via a more reasonable postage service than DHL.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »
You know Vick, I had considered that but as a first time customer I believe my options are either to pay with good grace or risk irritating them. By all accounts it would appear that USA to UK postage is pretty grim. When they were first sent by me to the USA they were flat and folded and it cost me about $30. Now they have blossomed into something larger and positively postally frightful. Expansion is obviously expensive.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
Nick,

The weight will be a factor, but that price does sound a bit high to me, too, tho that could be the going rate from DSL for a tube that weight and size..

I would also inquire to see what it would cost to have this tube sent via USPS international Priority mail. I think that would be a bit cheaper as I sent a tube a couple years ago to the UK, that had 3 linen backed US OS (27x41) inside, and the cost, if i remember correctly, was about $65-70.00 USD. The tube I mailed didnt have the added insurance, so that would have to be calculated in, if wanted.

It got there in about 3-5 days. And it was also mailed from the Los Angeles area.

Prices likely have gone up a bit but it might be worth looking into, especially if PM will give you the weight and length of the sealed parcel.

I would not think PM would be bothered by you asking about other, possible shipping options. In the end, they want you to be a happy customer, from start to finish.

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
As EMP no longer advertises against Nose Bleed Shipping, I think it is now a given

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »
Just sent them a request Jeff. If they tear up the posters in annoyance I shall let you know!

Steve. I think you just made an interesting comment in code. Translation please as I cannot help but show my ignorance. Who is EMP?
Nick
Utter gent.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »
With what Poster Mountain charges to restore posters, packing supplies and tube should be free.  After that, yeah, shipping is expensive, but $220 seems outrageous to me.  

You should ask them the length and weight of your tube and do the math yourself.  When I was in France in November, I used this service: https://www.upela.com/ and they were half the price of DHL (and 1/3 of Fedex).  I sent 3 heavy tubes to myself in the US and got them delivered in 3 days and in mint condition by DHL :)  Don't ask me why.  It is the best service I've ever used.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
Nick, as Rich mentioned, too, perhaps the numbers ($$) grow as the length of the tube needed here will be about a 44" long x maybe 6" diameter size. And the weight of the backed 40x60 will be a bit hefty.

I had PM linen back a French 1P for me, a number of years ago and I was surprised at the weight of that finished item. 3 pounds, at least, I'm guessing.

Can I ask what size the other 2 posters are?

I still think you can get a better rate than that quoted 220.00 tho. Once you get the dimensions and weight, it will be easier to factually determine.  ;)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:08:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:30:18 PM »
Thanks Thierry and Jeff. Seeing that the two other posters were single sheet examples - is it 40 x 29 inches? (As it's 1.30am here I Am to tired to know) - they will add little but additional weight. Anyway, I shall report back tomorrow on either their barely disguised indignation or extraordinary helpfulness...
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 08:32:59 PM »
Steve. I think you just made an interesting comment in code. Translation please as I cannot help but show my ignorance. Who is EMP?

eMoviePoster.com is made up of Bruce Hershenson and 30 other staff. Bruce Hershenson owns a city block and operates EMP from it in West Plains, MO.  It has an annual turnover of 4 zillion smackers and is famous in poster circles for putting white squares over elongated appendages and over line shaped rear end cracks and also on perky dots on the female cartoon form 

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »
Unfortunately $220 is probably not the last of it too with duties and those pesky brokerages fees... So yeah, get some options for sure.  When I ship from the US via the national service (USPS) to Canada post, those fees are always cheaper.  Always.

Don't feel too bad about it though, we've all done it!  I'm sure the posters will be exquisite.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »
Nick, I guarantee you, if I were to ship by DHL, it would also be $220

shipping overseas is an enormous cost

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 08:39:51 PM »
eMoviePoster.com is made up of Bruce Hershenson and 30 other staff. Bruce Hershenson owns a city block and operates EMP from it in West Plains, MO.  It has an annual turnover of 4 zillion smackers and is famous in poster circles for putting white squares over elongated appendages and over line shaped rear end cracks and also on perky dots on the female cartoon form 

I think you can tell I don't collect movie posters. I should probably start.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 08:41:21 PM »
Probably best to pay it soon since the pound has dropped 10% in the last month against the dollar

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 08:44:54 PM »
Probably best to pay it soon since the pound has dropped 10% in the last month against the dollar

Is it me, or is this thread taking a turn for the worse?
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:56:52 PM »

Might be best value just to advise PM to sell your three posters on your behalf and forget about shipping them back to the UK?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »

Nah.. its stable.

Just avoid shipping via DHL.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 02:26:56 AM »
Not sure how it works in the UK but you might be charged customs duty charges on the value of the posters, the cost of backing and also the postage. I think that is what happens doing similar from Australia but to mitigate being taxed on the value of the poster which goes oberseas then back, some declaration needs to be filled out prior to sending the posters overseas saying as much. Hopefully nothing to worry about though.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 03:11:05 AM »
It's not that complicated.

Declare the value of the items in the parcel on the customs form.

Done and done.

:)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 03:37:27 AM »
Nick

Will pm you. But in short, you have options. And paying £220 is not one. You also need to think about Customs charges when it arrives in the UK which most shippers here dont know much about. Best shipper I had: Fedex Economy. Why? Will pm u with details

R

Mirosae

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 03:41:29 AM »
Not sure how it works in the UK but you might be charged customs duty charges on the value of the posters, the cost of backing and also the postage. I think that is what happens doing similar from Australia but to mitigate being taxed on the value of the poster which goes oberseas then back, some declaration needs to be filled out prior to sending the posters overseas saying as much. Hopefully nothing to worry about though.

True. And it is not about the declaration of the value nah...is nore about  the customs system being rather messy here. Unless you are lucky and you get the right charge which have to be said....it happens sometimes.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 05:12:56 AM »
For the size and weight of the tube, I wouldn't be surprised by that sum.

Please ensure that if you don't want insurance, you ask the seller to declare a nominal value ($20) on the shipping form.  Otherwise you will get a back end request for duties too.  20% of value.

Good luck.