Author Topic: Hi! Another new guy  (Read 5897 times)

USMC8808

Hi! Another new guy
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:47:48 AM »
As my user name may imply, I spent 20 yrs in the Marines, retiring in '08. After 20 yrs, I got a small pension and an incurable and untreatable nerve disease that rots my muscle away. I got into movie posters in 2011 when my wife 0f 21 years left me. I was buying them off of ebay and other auction sites. In 2013, when I got divorced, I went into overdrive buying posters. I have put the brakes on buying, now I am much more interested in self teaching myself linen mounting. I wrote to some of the larger studios to see if I could apprentice, but was met with a wall of rudeness. Well, I guess that sums up "me".

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Hi! Another new guy
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:26:09 AM »
Welcome to APF U. Glad you have found us after these years. Sorry to hear about your illness, but glad posters are giving you something to get joy from. We have a resident backyard linen backer called Charlie here who is happy to help others do the same.

What genre / era of posters do you collect?

Welcome onboard

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:27:31 AM by 50s »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
Good to see you found this place, 8808. 

First, thank you for serving our country. 

That sounds like a difficult situation with the medical issue and all.  Stay strong, and please seek professional help if needed.

Regarding the apprenticeship, that's rough, also.  As Steve (aka 50s) said, Charlie has a lot of knowledge on restoration and often shares good info. for fellow collectors and DIYers.  I think he learned most of it himself, and it seems logical that someone who has experience like that would be looked highly upon for employment with a company in that field.  Sometimes it just takes a lot of time and perseverance to find a good gig like that.

Welcome aboard.  welcome1

USMC8808

My genre
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
My genre was at 1st, movie that shaped my life...Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Road Warrior and Full Metal Jacket. Then it spread to modern classics I saw at the theater like Jaws and the Sting. Now my genre is mostly car or bike related, a bit of horror and then whatever else I think is cool at the moment!

Folks don't have to worry much about me stealing their secret techniques and running out to be their competition. Personally, I love the way a linenbacked poster look so I think I will slowly back my whole collection, As far as work goes, I have about a 2 hour window each day, if I have taken just the right drugs, I become a functioning human being.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
Sounds like a large collection and looking forward to seeing some things down the road. Welcome to the forum man! -Jason

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:32:03 AM »
 welcome1, USMC8808.

Enjoy the forum and I good to read that you are also wanting to learn the ways and means of linen backing. I think restoration and conservation are fascinating aspects of this hobby.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 05:43:48 AM »
An 'interesting' route into posters there fella.

Welcome.  Hope you find what you're looking for.

Good luck.

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 10:18:53 PM »
Hi there and welcome aboard the APF love fest. As you can see, there are some great people here and we are all happy to have you here. Please feel free to share photos of your posters and linenbacking process as you learn the craft. Good luck, welcome  and CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:35:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 07:52:30 PM »
 welcome1 USMC8808!

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
As my user name may imply, I spent 20 yrs in the Marines, retiring in '08. After 20 yrs, I got a small pension and an incurable and untreatable nerve disease that rots my muscle away. I got into movie posters in 2011 when my wife 0f 21 years left me. I was buying them off of ebay and other auction sites. In 2013, when I got divorced, I went into overdrive buying posters. I have put the brakes on buying, now I am much more interested in self teaching myself linen mounting. I wrote to some of the larger studios to see if I could apprentice, but was met with a wall of rudeness. Well, I guess that sums up "me".

Welcome........from another career soldier!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

USMC8808

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:41 PM »
A belated "THANK YOU" to all!

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 11:12:55 PM »
So...the welcome still stands, but when are you going to belatedly share your collection with us? Hint! Hint!   :)
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!