Author Topic: **Rare Star Wars Polish Poster** Ever Seen this one? I sure hadn't before  (Read 6639 times)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Here is a really special Return of the Jedi Polish B2 "Comic Style" that was used in Polish theatres. It was lost to history and only recently re-discovered.
The artist is Marcin Chudzik.  This was his personal copy and he created this design in 1985.  Matt Johnston AKA Dr Harry Caul help arrange this purchase from Macin.
Thanks MATT http://marqueeposter.com/
Its really special and cool part of Star Wars history

Its a B2 btw, Matt has more info he would like to share but I will add this tidbit from Mr. Chudzik. (translated from his words by his daughter to English.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"About the poster : It was ordered by OPRF in Szczecin, Poland.
OPRF is a shortcut from : "Okręgowe Przedsiębiorstwo Rozpowszechniania Filmów" which i could translate as a "county organisation for diffusion of films"
- it was an institution which took care about diffusion and advertisment of films on the therythory of our voivodeship : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Pomeranian_Voivodeship

The date - you have to check on the poster itself.
I know it was long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...)

The poster had to be made fast, preferably in black and white (for easier printing) and before diffision it had to be accepted by cenzorship.

After acceptation it was printed.

Situation in Poland was tragic, there wasn't enough money for food and basic things ensuring survival.
Films and the advertisment wasn't the priority.

So it is why the OPRF asked me, local artist, to make a poster.
For the money i gained i've bought a wooden chandelier for my bedroom and a bottle of wine.
After that i  wasn't making anymore posters, i was drawing for the papers, doing some illustrations. Now i am painting."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:49:25 PM by jedgerley »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: **Rare Star Wars Polish Poster** Ever Seen this one? I sure hadn't before
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
Very nice story, thanks for sharing! It might be too late, but might I suggest a watermark on this rare find before a box of them is "found" .. .
This Space For Rent!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:20:09 PM »
I have already placed them in there but you cant see them unless its compared to the original.  :-X

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
Cool story.  Big fan of the Polish stuff and Star Wars...good stuff!
-Brian

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
I have already placed them in there but you cant see them unless its compared to the original.  :-X

HHHHmmmmmm.......well played Sir!
This Space For Rent!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
Thanks for posting this Jason!  Yes, interesting story regarding this rare B2...  

As many of you know I collect Eastern European posters and one of my contacts in Poland was selling a lot of theater-used posters.  There were 2 copies of this "comic style" ROTJ in the lot.  It's not everyday that a previously unknown Star Wars posters pops ups so you can imagine my excitement!  When I was trying to find out more about it I didn't have much to go on as the signature didn't match any of the more well-documented artists.  Well, eventually I tracked down the artist, Marcin Chudzik, from his sig and emailed hoping to find out more about it.  He was quite surprised as no one had ever contacted him about the poster and it had been 30 years since he made it! He told me I should have just asked him and he would have given me one of his two extra copies. Do'h! At first I was disappointed, but after several more emails over the following months it dawned on me that I was in a unique position to help him -- he had recently had some medical problems and was still trying to work through the debt he incurred. I offered to help him sell his two copies at 0% commission.  I think too often the original artists get the short end of the stick in our hobby... so I'm doing my best to make amends for that.

The fine print at the bottom indicates that there were 1000 copies originally printed.  To my knowledge, only 4 have surfaced -- the 2 I found in the theater lot and the 2 from Marcin.  I asked Marcin if he could sign my personal copy and Jason now owns one as well.  That leaves two more that are for sale.  I'll list one on my website that will be launching soon.  If anyone is interested, please contact me!  

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:20:15 PM »
Wow thats great.

And good idea with secret watermark.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »
"Situation in Poland was tragic, there wasn't enough money for food and basic things ensuring survival.
Films and the advertisment wasn't the priority.

So it is why the OPRF asked me, local artist, to make a poster.
For the money i gained i've bought a wooden chandelier for my bedroom and a bottle of wine.
After that i  wasn't making anymore posters, i was drawing for the papers, doing some illustrations. Now i am painting."

I've gotten to know Marcin and his daughter pretty well over the last year... when I heard the above I knew I had to do something to help, especially given his current health issues and bills.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 06:29:46 AM »
Cool poster, interesting back story! Thanks for sharing. Good on you Matt for not taking advantage and helping the artist get some money in his pocket too.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 06:35:03 AM »
Good on you Matt, a first rate story, and shows what a great guy you are.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:09:46 AM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 07:00:46 AM »
Good on you Matt, a first rate story, and show what a great guy you are.

Agreed. What a poignant tale.

Mark

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 09:45:02 AM »
Well done, Matt. 

It's quite an interesting looking poster, albeit that Ewok is even more nightmarish than usual.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
Cool poster, interesting back story! Thanks for sharing. Good on you Matt for not taking advantage and helping the artist get some money in his pocket too.

I tried to explain that just having the poster on my website would benefit me enough.  However, with the language differences, it was difficult for them to understand why I would do this and not take a percentage of the sale!  Even after I explained it probably 3 different times and I thought everything was clear -- I then sold the first copy to Jason and the first thing they asked was how much of the sale I wanted :)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
I tried to explain that just having the poster on my website would benefit me enough.  However, with the language differences, it was difficult for them to understand why I would do this and not take a percentage of the sale!  Even after I explained it probably 3 different times and I thought everything was clear -- I then sold the first copy to Jason and the first thing they asked was how much of the sale I wanted :)

Does anyone hate Matt for being so nice? happy they got all my pennies  :)  but seriously, thanks for being so honest and professional too.
Its a precious plakat! lovin' it

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Here is a really special Return of the Jedi Polish B2 "Comic Style" that was used in Polish theatres. It was lost to history and only recently re-discovered.
The artist is Marcin Chudzik.  This was his personal copy and he created this design in 1985.  

Cool poster here, Jason.

It's certainly out of the norm. Good on you for getting it.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Yeah, the details on it are very cool.  I recently posted a close-up to my Instagram account...

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Jeff: Still lovin' it.

Lol Matt. I have the same (cropped square)closeup photo. but I think I like your lighting better.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:57:50 PM by jedgerley »

Offline Chris9000

• Collector

Awesome story here Matt, and Jedgerly!