Author Topic: Indiana Jones subway poster?  (Read 4644 times)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
Indiana Jones subway poster?
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:30:50 AM »
Guys,

Have you come across many of these? I haven't seen one before and couldn't find anything on Emovie.

It's a subway poster, it measures 60"x45". Anyone know anything about these type of posters and rarity?

Thanks

Marc

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:12:30 PM by timelessmoviemagic »
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Indiana Jones subway poster?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »
Nice subway poster, there, Marc. Unfolded and with a really great image, too.

Plus seeing the upcoming play dates and theater location on the bottom border.  It's like an advance, with full credits.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:14:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:44:42 PM »
Guys,

Have you come across many of these? I haven't seen one before and couldn't find anything on Emovie.

It's a subway poster, it measures 60"x45". Anyone know anything about these type of posters and rarity?

Thanks

Marc

I haven't  seen one ..I seem to recall that Brandon collects   subway posters....he might be able to help?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
I own a couple folded ones... on my site as always.

Not that rare.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »
Cheers T, I haven't seen one before.

I think I'll check your site after Emovie in future considering you have over 11,000 posters on there  :o
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:12:11 PM »
Yeah, my little collection is growing.  One step at a time.  Like I always say, it's not what you have that matters, but what you don't have.  One day I'll have a search engine to make it easier, but not today.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:43:19 PM »
Yeah, my little collection is growing.  One step at a time.  Like I always say, it's not what you have that matters, but what you don't have.  One day I'll have a search engine to make it easier, but not today.

T

But in the mean time, pressing the Command key + the F key, then entering a title name ( & as Brandon also pointed out) works great to Find a title on your website.

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »
I remember hearing that all subway posters were advance posters, from Bruce H. perhaps....Very cool poster, the only subway poster I had was issued folded.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 10:51:19 PM »
Guys,

Go here: http://www.emovieposter.com/faq/types.php?question=79
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
I am not sure why, but there is a trend within emp to assign 'advance poster' nomenclature to a number of posters that might otherwise be main release posters.

This is only said, again, within my own little sphere of interest and knowledge.  But there are a number of Bond posters that are advertised as advance when categorically, they are main release.  I am sure they have their reasons.  But they don't tally with my own experience of having seen the posters in existence.

I did raise this with them but I am not sure as to their rationale.

Again, only related to Bond.  But there we go.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »

The subway thread: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10128.0.html
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 08:18:05 PM »
I am not sure why, but there is a trend within emp to assign 'advance poster' nomenclature to a number of posters that might otherwise be main release posters.

only related to Bond.  But there we go.

Examples please. I will explain my reasoning, or change to your way of thinking.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 04:59:21 AM »
Ah, good man.  Knew you'd be all over this sir.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/11670377.html -
Main release style in the US.  The Adele credit was indicative of this being the last version of this release poster to be printed.  To be fair, the black 'tunnel' version you call a Teaser so I don't know the difference between Teaser and Advance.  But I would submit the above linked is the Main release poster.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/3870449.html -
Similarly, this Skyfall version was the UK / International release and absolutely the main release outside the US.  But again for some reason you have assigned Advance style.

I am sure you have perfectly good reasons and I am always happy to have my mind changed.   ;)    Perhaps by way of explanation, what would be considered the Main release style for Skyfall?

Cheers sir.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 06:38:21 PM »
I talked to Matt and here's the deal (as I suspected):

Until a few years ago, a date on a poster virtually guaranteed it was an advance, because when the movie was actually playing they issued new posters with no date.

Recently, those cheapskates have sometimes not bothered with the "no date" version, as in the examples you cited.

So here is how we will deal with this:

We will add a note to posters like these saying that we are calling them advances, but it is possible that the same poster also served as the "regular" one sheet when the movie played.

On titles where experts like yourself say that there definitely has NOT been a "date-less" one-sheet ever seen, we will add a note to that effect, asking anyone who has ever seen a "date-less" poster to show it to us, so we can amend our note.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 11:14:08 PM »
So, since you are sure there were no "date-less" posters in this case, we added this:

"Note that starting around the 1970s, it was common for studios to print teaser and advance posters (which mentioned the date that the film would be released), as well as final theatrical posters which had no date because the film had been (or was soon to be) released. However, modern promotional campaigns sometimes lack a poster without a starting date, and the final theatrical poster is what we would normally call an "advance" poster. That is the case with the promotional campaign for this film, and this advance is actually the final theatrical poster created. However, for consistency, we are still calling this poster an advance."

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 04:35:25 AM »
Ah, understood.  Wasn't aware that it was the date that was the tell tale sign for such.  Ok, so I learn something as well.

Fair play.

Cheers sir.