Author Topic: 2nd Day Report on the Morrie Auction #2 at Profiles in History  (Read 8159 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
2nd Day Report on the Morrie Auction #2 at Profiles in History
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:19:41 AM »
well I'm sure you folks are frothing at the mouth for a report, so here goes

day one was pretty hot. almost every lot sold and it was pretty obvious that some collectors are trying to assemble 'instant collections' and paying for the privilege. Silent lobby cards and classic 1930s cinema were in high demand, especially considering the difficulty that it might be to find so much of this stuff.

on day one I won just a single lot of Clara Bow lobby cards that showed gambling and lost every other lot I bid on by very much.

day two I was much more successful. Maybe it was burnout for some, but I was able to score the Chan in Monte Carlo lot, some Clark gable stuff, Karloff, other crime and thankfully - the Falcon lot so I could get those Falcon Takes Over cards for my Chandler collection. I actually won quite a few lots today, but I have a feeling I may get some competition for much of my interests tomorrow.

some things went bizarrely out-priced like the Godzilla friends poster lot & the Shrinking Man half sheet which went for an incredible $2250+bp.
yes it was style-B.. but the Forbidden Planet only went for $1900+bp.. it was strange.

lots of fun was had by all, including yours truly

more stuff tomorrow!
Yay!!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: 2nd Day Report on the Morrie Auction #2 at Profiles in History
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 01:23:52 AM »
Congrats, Rich..

Sounds like you have done mighty fine so far.

And, as you said... more fun tomorrow.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:43:27 AM »
Oh, I just looked and I have a shrinking man half sheet in near mint condition... Great

I haven't looked at  this auction yet. so interesting having the quick summary

Congrats on the pickups

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 02:53:52 AM »
yeah I had fun buying stuff for my collection AND stuff for sale.

I haven't tallied my wins yet, but I think I should be going home with a couple thousand cards, though I won't be going home with any of that 'pre-code' stuff which sold big as did Stooges

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 03:21:22 AM »
Awesome Rich...I fucking KNEW that you won that Falcon lot!! When the auctioneer acknowledged ya I smiled knowing you had completed that Chandler section....did he call you "the big R" or something like that mid auction??...per card that Falcon lot was a steal..I was underbidder on that and dropped out late on the 32 card Saint lot when it went silly....the Pre-code lots were soooo awesome...what a rare opportunity...

A big Congrats on the Chan Monte Carlo lot!!  

I won 2 of the early Oland Chan lots myself ....and was underbidder on 2 as well....

Good luck and I'm stoked for ya!!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:36:26 AM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 03:56:05 AM »
thanks Tait.. now I just need the 3 cards I won't have (I have 1 card, the lot has TC + 3)
interestingly, on the Chan in Monte Carlo set, I have 2 cards already. The lot I won has the other 6 cards!

and yeah, when I won that Falcon lot was the only time I gave the auctioneer a big smile & a big thumbs up. He knew I wanted to get that lot.

I just tallied the day.. I won 720 cards.. I didn't think that was going to happen initially. Seeing as all the silent & pre-code stuff I was bidding on I was left in the dust..

more tomorrow!

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 03:56:54 AM »
I won 2 of the early Oland Chan lots myself ....and was underbidder on 2 as well....

Charlie Chan at the Race Track maybe?.......

ps: good luck tomorrow yourself & anyone else bidding..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:09:14 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 05:17:02 AM »
Wasn't aware you were a Falcon fan Rich.  Congrats.

As for the silly Saint cards, that was me!  Floor bidding Started at $1500, making a mockery of the estimated low and high prices.  I was figuring they would go to the price they did due to the inclusion of Palm Springs cards which are akin to hen's teeth for rarity.

I will have some duplicates out of this set so if there are any you would like, I can pop you some communications, Filmlobbycards.  Sorry, not sure I know your name sir.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »
The only lot I "needed" in this round was absurdly over-estimated and didn't sell.

It was particularly annoying when the opening bids were the low "estimate" so when you factored in the 28% vig, plus the 9% sales tax (which I'm assuming they added for us CA residents) you were practically paying the high estimate on your opening bid.  I would have grudgingly paid the low estimate if that's what it would have been all in. 

Going to have to wait for those who bought to break up their lots and move them individually before I get anything.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »

the Falcon wasn't the interest. Falcon Takes Over is the first adaptation of a Chandler novel, otherwise it would be tissue paper to me

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
Ah, the light dawns.

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »
Charlie Chan at the Race Track maybe?.......

ps: good luck tomorrow yourself & anyone else bidding..

I bailed on the Racetrack lot...I love that Title card....I won the Chan in Egypt lot and the Chan in London & in Paris....16 cards total!!!
Tait

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »

As for the silly Saint cards, that was me!  Floor bidding Started at $1500, making a mockery of the estimated low and high prices.  I was figuring they would go to the price they did due to the inclusion of Palm Springs cards which are akin to hen's teeth for rarity.

I will have some duplicates out of this set so if there are any you would like, I can pop you some communications, Filmlobbycards.  Sorry, not sure I know your name sir.

Nice work!! You and I bid back and forth for awhile on those Saint cards....I was hoping I could snag them for around $2 K ....Tait is my name by the way...and when you get them and upgrade shoot me a line and we can work something out on your duplicates...it's a real crap shoot about the condition of the cards not pictured...I hope it's a clean sweep of an upgrade condition wise for you Simes....and yes that Palm Springs title card looks really nice and super rare...all the title cards looked to be in beautiful shape....Great job!!!!!!!!!!!
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »

Congrats on these wins, Simes, as you have posted your other Saints material (posters) you have, from time to time. Nice job on these. thumbup

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »
Nice work!! You and I bid back and forth for awhile on those Saint cards....I was hoping I could snag them for around $2 K ....Tait is my name by the way...and when you get them and upgrade shoot me a line and we can work something out on your duplicates...it's a real crap shoot about the condition of the cards not pictured...I hope it's a clean sweep of an upgrade condition wise for you Simes....and yes that Palm Springs title card looks really nice and super rare...all the title cards looked to be in beautiful shape....Great job!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Tait,

Thanks for the words fella.  Appreciate the philosophical take on it all - never did want to 'hand it' to the guys on the forum 'n' all...  Yeah, I got the impression that it was me and one other during the final straight.  Not sure about the 'good job' though.  It was 1am in Windsor UK, I was shot, and blindly going 'Yup' at every request to Joe Moe, my telephone bidding contact.  (Who, by the way, was the model of cool and calm.  Top chap)

Yes indeed sir, when they arrive I will be in contact to see what, if anything, we can do.

All the best.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
T, did you get the Bardot lots, those both went reasonable. Was going to bid to resell to you  ;)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 11:37:20 PM »
I'm so tired.. I'd hop on a horse & take a ride, but I didn't win any of those horse racing lots.. not one.
time to kill people... after I drink plenty of coffee and get some sleep

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 11:49:28 PM »
Are you sure you want coffee, Rich?   ;D

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:56 AM »
Are you sure you want coffee, Rich?   ;D

yes.. it's what I need to help me stand up so I can crawl into bed

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »
 cheers cheers

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »
First of all - buyer premiums are ridiculous, this goes to HA as well.

The minimum was too high on several lots.

Some things did extremely well and as a whole I would expect them to be happy with the results.

Thankfully, I am just not that into lobbies!

Any word on how many more go rounds there will be, I think I heard initially they thought 6 or 7 total ??

Mirosae

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
WoW it sounds like you all had a good bidding round. Simes good for you for using the phone service. I never want to do it for fear of being "pushed" to keep bidding. I find the live e-bidding much more agreeable!

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »
Yep, the buyer's vig is damn steep.  If the two cards I got were offered more often, I would probably not bid on them.  But, it's been years since I've see one of my wins for sale or auction. So for me, it means I'll be a little less prolific collecting over the next few months to make up the $.  Sometimes you just bit the bullet and hope the wallet gets replenished.   ;)

And a big congrats to everyone who scored.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:07:32 AM by lynaron »
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
WoW it sounds like you all had a good bidding round. Simes good for you for using the phone service. I never want to do it for fear of being "pushed" to keep bidding. I find the live e-bidding much more agreeable!

Yeah - there is really no selling or pushing going on. It is all purely communicative.

I wanted to do it via the phone as the last time I tried e-bidding through Profiles, it didn't work.  But this 'may' have been before they were aligned to Invaluable.  It was a whiles back.

I also did phone bidding with Ewbanks when I was at work as none of the systems allowed internet access.

Anyway, all this to say it is really very relaxed.

Mirosae

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »
Thanks. Helpful to know. Worth having it as an option. You never know with the IT in London... eyeroll