Author Topic: Found Collectibles  (Read 45949 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Found Collectibles
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
thought i would share this, our local Salvation army has a monthly auction i stopped recently and won this for very cheap... I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is, looks like asian cherrywood but dont know from where exactly and what time period.  The teeth on the one side of the dragon are dinged (bummer) but altogether a super nice piece, seems to be a pedestal of some sort, very heavy and around 22 inches in height.  Oddly enough the colors aren't all that evident in real life but the camera flash makes them stand out I guess. Its Probably not worth a lot but I think its cool.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:16:31 AM by Crazy Vick »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 12:00:42 PM »
VERY cool, Vick. Nice find!

Are there any markings or anything like that, or a carved signature, on the bottom of the piece?

The top piece looks much lighter in color. Is the stain just not as heavy? Or has it worn off a bit?

How much would you guess that it weighs?

I love Asian art and carved pieces, too. I think (and am guessing totally) that this was made for the export market. The question is... when?  ;)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:28:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
thanks Jeff I knew you would appreciate coming from picker country and all :)  It weighs just under 30 pounds and yes the top seems to be different made, although equally old i think, and probably designed to be added rather than carved out along with the dragon.  It looks like the same type of wood though. It has a grove along the edge like a butcher's block would too...

I know there`s a lot of woodwork out of Indonesia, but it does have a Chinese feel to it?  No markings on any kind... that might mean export like you say.  I was sure I'd find loads of similar pieces online but i'll have to keep looking.  Maybe just email pictures to an asian art expert.  My wife says its tacky.  So naturally I love it even more now!   thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:43:08 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »
Its cool... for sure.

Looking at the carving style, too, is what made me think it was more made for export.

30 pounds... heavy!   thumbsup.gif

Congrats again. And yeah.. you might for sure find comp images online.

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
THAT IS A REALLY COOL FIND!  I'd be super excited to find something as exotic as that - 22" high is perfect!

Mirosae

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
Great find Vick. I wonder what it was meant for..do you know?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »
Thanks both.  Yeah a bit of a mystery...looks like a pedestal but might be too short to be one!?!  Then again, Asian people are generally shorter...  (i can say that right?)  like Jeff said could just be an export piece.  I'll see if I can find me an expert somewhere and get more info.

Mirosae

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 01:11:41 PM »
Then again, Asian people are generally shorter...  

:P  Have you seen Yao Ming? ;D

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:11:59 PM by Mirosae »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:16 PM »
Thanks both.  Yeah a bit of a mystery...looks like a pedestal but might be too short to be one!?!  Then again, Asian people are generally shorter...  (i can say that right?)  like Jeff said could just be an export piece.  I'll see if I can find me an expert somewhere and get more info.

Would be a cool, small table or pedestal to put a vase or something on, maybe, Vick.

again, i thinks its such a great looking piece.

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
Maybe it is a TV remote control table

Mirosae

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
Haha... Yes... Thought it was a nutcracker

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
the reality is it's now a dust collector in the basement  :'(

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »
This is something else I picked up recently, a metallic serigraph although i cant make out the signature.  The old stickers on the back say its a limited edition from France and "forbidden to be reproduced", from 1975.  No idea... reminds me of the Story of O poster (that really naughty US OS)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 02:50:19 AM »
Damn, Vick... you finding some crazy shite out there.

Very jealous of the dragon pedestal(?).
Shouldn't languish in your basement though.
Bring it upstairs and put it on display.
 cheers

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 08:18:58 AM »
I passed on a couple of frame posters that popped up in a local thrift store... Q rolled one sheet.  Cool art but had a corner torn off and some scratching on the top left for $14.99 and a Quad for the original 1996 version of Pusher, the first film from the director of Drive.  It was folded and so heavily worn/creased that I originally thought that it might have been printed that way, kind of like the 25th Hour OS.  It was $19.99...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »
This is my favorite find this year, for so many reasons.  Its from the Northern Electric company, which became Nortel, a huge telecom company in Canada (based in Ottawa) that literally went from top of the world to bankruptcy in the early 2000s, when Ottawa was known as "Silicon Valley North" (San Francisco, Cali, being Silicon Valley proper)   The effects of Nortel folding up were felt for a long time in our little Canadian capital, i know a lot of former employees (and their fathers) who lost many a pension dollars after the fallout.  

Anyways, in 1928, Northern Electric produced the first talking moving-picture sound system - not just in Canada - but the system for the Palace Theater in Montreal was the first anywhere in the whole of the British Empire!  The piece below dates back to the late 1930s.  Based on the very old newspaper articles stuck to the back of the mount (and the history of the person I got it from who was in radio broadcasting for decades), the piece I picked up comes from the Picadilly Theatre in Williamsburgh, Ontario, which opened in 1935. According to the Toronto Sun the first showing was The Glass Key, and the last in 1959 was Never So Few, a war film starring Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford and Steve McQueen.

Coincidentally, I did not know Williamsburg,about 45 minute drive from here, but doing some research and seeing the picture below, I realized last summer, my wife and I returning from a road trip, came across this old theatre.  I immediately stopped and found a souvenir shop not far and asked the owner how much the large Picadilly sign was (pîctured). She said $5K! Nuts, but she did let me have a glance inside the old theatre, which was mostly in shambles.  I was hoping to find some old posters (yeah right, just like the hundreds of people before me who had stopped to ask)!

Anyways, crazy that months later, and a hundred miles further, I find an original piece that ties the whole thing together.  Its a heavy brass coated piece, already framed on original wood backing, I can`t wait to clean it up and hang it.  

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:42:19 AM by Crazy Vick »

Mirosae

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 05:38:41 AM »
I love this!!!! What would you do? Display it?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »
Interesting story, and a cool piece of history there, Vick.  Do you know where it was displayed in the theater?  It would be neat if there is a photo of that.

Good try on the offer to purchase the sign.  The price doesn't seem too unreasonable.  Not many theaters have such an iconic piece like that, anymore. I can't imagine what the sign in front of the nearby Tampa Theatre would sell for.  It's a similar dealio, with all the history of a cornerstone piece to a classic theater like the one in Ontario, and others from that bygone era.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:01:50 PM by Neo »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
Thanks all.  Haven't been able to find pictures of inside the theatre so far. I know it had just the 1 screen with 382 seats.

I did dig up info on Williamsburg, which was essentially put on the map when Dr. Mahon Locke began treating people's foot ailments.  He pioneered reflexology and pedorthics and became the most famous foot doctor in North America.  With his practice came, and went, Picadilly theatre:

"People would come from all over the continent, and Europe, to have their arthritis cured by his self-devised, innovative treatment that earned him the moniker The Toe Twister. They lined up by the thousands outside his practice all day long, every day, and included such notables as Eleanor Roosevelt, Sir Robert Borden, Mackenzie King, and Louis B. Mayer, and -- despite it being The Great Depression -- the town's economy boomed with businesses opening to take advantage of the endless hordes; townsfolk renting rooms in their houses, even entire houses."

Here are a few pics of people lining up for this "toe twisting" treatment.  And yes Rosa, its on my wall already!  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:39:58 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
That is pretty cool Louie. Does is have a date stamp?

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2015, 11:23:34 PM »
Good question. I couldn't find one but if I had to make an educated guess, I would say it's probably from the opening night of "Just Imagine".

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
The date stamp is top rightish. Oct 2 pm 1935? Kinda faint but something is stamped on there.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:29:39 AM by jedgerley »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »
The date stamp is top rightish. Oct 2 pm 1935? Kinda faint but something is stamped on there.

Maybe that's it, no "Just Imagine" then.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »
well since i can't seem to swap the original pic below, here's a new one, cleaned up on the wall.