Author Topic: Egyptian Political Poster 1995  (Read 6380 times)

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Egyptian Political Poster 1995
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
[img width= height=]http://www.musicman.com/00pic/wafd1.jpg[/img]

This is a 1995 19" x 26" poster promoting the old Egyptian Wafd Party (check Wikipedia for articles on the Wafd Party and the New Wafd Party), which is still active and is one of egypt's oldest political parties. The Arabic at the top says "I love the free life"; in the lower left it says "al-Wafd" in the circle with the dates 1918 - 1995 below it.  The artist signature is by a woman named Mervat.  I have recorded the artist signatures on at least 2000 Egyptian film posters going back to the 1930s and I've never seen a film poster done by her, so I don't think she did any work in the film industry.  The printer is al-Shoruq Printers.  The image of the peasant woman in a wheat field breaking her chains needs no translation.  The rural context suggests that in this poster the party was directing its message to egypt's feudal landlords, but the party was long active in the early days in opposition egypt's monarchy and the British presence there.  The village skyline behind the peasant woman is telling us that the Wafd Party is a party for a wide cross-section of Egyptian society; it shows mud brick homes, mosques, Coptic churches, an Egyptian earth pigeon house and a Pharaonic obelisk.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:01:08 PM by DarvishJo »