Author Topic: Did You See Movies in DRIVE-IN Theatres???  (Read 29554 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Did You See Movies in DRIVE-IN Theatres???
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 09:49:44 PM »
That must be the largest popcorn bucket I have ever seen !! ;D

Well it is America  ;D
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »
sadly thats the size in Australia also.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
Poltergeist in 1982.  First and last.  I was at a summer camp near Colorado Spring.  I had to sneak in with a few friends because it was full.  I didn't know you could see movies outside.  A taste of America.  It was awesome.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »
I loved going to drive ins when I was a kid. I remember seeing Free Willy and tearing up.  The drive in from my childhood is still in business. I need to make a trip back to it :)

Mirosae

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
I feel like I am missing out on something (not just talking about the drive-in..) uhm that HUGE popcorn hehehe  devil 2

Offline Severen

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »
Originally from Ohio and there were several Drive-In theatres in the area that we would go to all the time. Great memories! My uncle was a huge horror fan and he would take us to see scary movies all the time. 2 movies that come to mind seeing as a kid were The Evil Dead and Fright Night. People weren't so uptight back then, you would get looked at cross-eyed if you took young kids to movies like that these days. While living in Fort Lauderdale I went to a huge 14 screen Drive-In that doubles as a swap meet during the day. Definitely did not have the old school feel to it though. This wasn't that long ago, as far as I know it's still in business.

Offline kobun37

• Beginner
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 02:03:23 AM »
I did go to the drive in as a kid with a friend's family. This was back in the late 80s and early 90s. The theater charged by the car, so if you had a big vehicle you could bring a whole gaggle of kids for the same price. On summer nights they would load up their VW van with their three kids and however many children in the neighborhood could come along for the ride.

I remember the theater had some interesting choices in double features. Last time I went was The Flintstones/Jurassic Park. See the friendly dinosaurs in the first movie, then watch them chomp on people in the second.  rofl1

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 08:32:46 PM »
I went to one about a year ago in Blacktown? in Sydney. The gf wanted to see the kids show Frozen. The audio comes in through the car stereo on a frequency broadcast on site.

A retro cartoon before the show

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:33:59 PM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
Very cool  Steve... great shots too..

Looks like an old B/W Disney/ Mickey Mouse short playing on the screen?

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
Yes, Mickey :)

On second thoughts I'll add a pic of the snack bar too, however editing out the innocent

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
Steve I don't want to alarm you or the gf but your steering wheel is on the wrong side!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »
He may have gotten the negative the wrong way around when printing it..
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 03:45:36 PM »
Great pics Steve... and you two wearing ... matching socks.. it must be luv hehehe ;) 

And thanks for explaining the sounds where it comes from.. I always wondered how the heck you were supposed to hear the thing inside the car...... :P

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »
I grew up in Tulsa Oklahoma. I have seen a few movies at the Admiral Twin drive in. For those who don't know the drive in scene in the movie The Outsiders was filmed at the Admiral Twin. Not too long ago fire completely destroyed it. It has since been rebuilt and is open, but a little movie/drive in history was sadly lost. Here is a link, for anybody interested.

Local News Coverage

This Space For Rent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
Steve.. it seems your gf was in a rather gray mood the day u took that pic of her.  ;D

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
I grew up in Tulsa Oklahoma. I have seen a few movies at the Admiral Twin drive in. For those who don't know the drive in scene in the movie The Outsiders was filmed at the Admiral Twin. Not too long ago fire completely destroyed it. It has since been rebuilt and is open, but a little movie/drive in history was sadly lost. Here is a link, for anybody interested.

Local News Coverage

How sad it was burnt, it is a shame when these places are lost. The good thing is that it was rebuilt. I guess people did care about it..!  thumbsup.gif

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 10:47:43 PM »
Thanks for the pics Steve!

Took me back.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »
Steve.. it seems your gf was in a rather gray mood the day u took that pic of her.  ;D

Are you calling her two dimensional?
:)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:25:01 AM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2015, 12:26:38 AM »
Are you calling her two dimensional?
:)

Me?? Never.  :)

She just looks a little off color in that shot. Maybe she ate some bad popcorn or something?

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2015, 12:53:41 AM »
He may have gotten the negative the wrong way around when printing it..

You Brits have that same negative reversal problem too eh?  ;)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2015, 01:26:43 AM »
Yes, but the steering wheels are on the correct side over here, thats why you U.S. and Canadians have so many Automatics, you cant change gear properly with your right hand.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2015, 02:08:15 AM »
Yes, but the steering wheels are on the correct side over here, thats why you U.S. and Canadians have so many Automatics, you cant change gear properly with your right hand.... ;)

I think the wheel is on the left for Americans as they mostly are right handed and cant do much with the left hand
 ;)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2015, 10:23:09 PM »
cant do much with the left hand
 ;)

She says you are wrong.   :P ;D

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 04:01:10 AM »
She says you are wrong.   :P ;D

This is outrageous

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2019, 02:22:22 AM »
Yes, my parents would load us three kids into the back of my dad's Ford pickup truck and take us to the drive-in in Wichita, Kansas. My dad would park the truck bed facing the screen so we could lay out our sleeping bags and watch the movie.  While waiting for the first movie to start, we would play on the swing set and slide just in front of the movie screen. The more family oriented movie would show first and when it was over, my dad would turn the truck around for the kids to go to sleep while mom and dad watched the more grown-up movie.  I was the oldest kid and of course, I would peak through the back window at the screen when my parents weren't looking.  One time there was a nude lady riding a horse or was it a motorcycle or was it both?  I'm not sure if that led to my friends and I ringing doorbells and streaking through our neighborhood a couple of years later. When I lived in Florida as a young man, I took a few dates to the drive-in in Sanford, Florida. I remember one lovely lady talking during the whole movie about her boa constrictor snake collection. Another date I took to the drive-in on my motorcycle and we watched the first Robocop movie.  She was smart, petite, and could eat way more popcorn than I could (and, I really like popcorn!). I also have a fond memory of one vacation as a teenager in Colorado and staying at a motel that was also a drive-in movie theatre.  Each motel room had a large picture window to see the screen and the sound for the movie played in your motel room: that was pretty darn cool.  Man, you just can't beat a good drive-in!    Okie