Author Topic: Pricing Trends?  (Read 42203 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Pricing Trends?
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »
who can sight the $500 poster in T's trash pile....

I didnt know Dakota Fanning's posters were going for that much now, Rich.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2015, 01:11:36 AM »
I didnt know Dakota Fanning's posters were going for that much now, Rich.  ;D

I'm surprised you can't see it.. look again

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »
I'm surprised you can't see it.. look again

Still haven't seen it, Rich.

Can you give a clue?  prayer.gif

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2015, 08:23:59 PM »
Still haven't seen it, Rich.

Can you give a clue?  prayer.gif

it's one of the posters shown in the pile.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2015, 08:31:19 PM »
it's one of the posters shown in the pile.

NO... really?

binoc.gif

-Jeff

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2020, 10:47:20 PM »
Five years later, and I'd love to revisit the question of price trends, but not in an "investment" context... merely as a point of interest.  I was looking at the sales (or lack thereof) from horror auctions since Halloween, and was surprised with some of the results in categories like 1960s horror.  It has had me thinking about this question of pricing trends.  And I've had a hard time finding resources on broad, generalized pricing trends by genre. 

What have people noticed over the years in their favorite poster genres?  It Universal Horror more affordable today?  Do you think covid affecting the poster market?  I know it's hard to make broad statements about genres, because some iconic titles will always fetch great sums.  But years ago, many people noticed that posters for '50s musicals and westerns had become much less sought after.  I just wondered if there are any other obvious trends or changes that collectors noticed in any of their areas of interest.

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »
https://youtu.be/yCZ8Ki2Sd90

I know Jeff's value has plummeted.  ;D
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2020, 08:22:16 PM »
Hi Stefano,

I haven't run the numbers, though it seems like there has been some recent renewed buying interest in nice 1930s stone litho Western posters. Also, on the 1930s classic Universal Horror posters, I could work in the summer cutting and selling firewood in the 1970/80s and may have been able to stretch and perhaps buy one of the known posters from Dracula, Frankenstein etc.  Today, I can work all year in my profession, pay the bills, and not come even close on most of them. Okie
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:44:21 PM by okiehawker »

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2020, 10:20:18 AM »
1930s and 1940s Universal Horror seems popular as ever, as the continued high prices for those titles indicate.  Paper for early Hammer movies seems to be on a bit of an upswing lately, particularly Italian first release for Horror of Dracula, some of which have achieved stratospheric prices (66K for 2Fogli style A and 84K for style B, a rather unattractive composition IMHO) at Heritage this past year.  As usual, rarity appears to be key here. 

Overall, I haven't noticed any Covid-related dip in auction prices (both for movie poster sales as well as in the fine art sector) over the past several months.  If anything, the market seems to have been somewhat strengthened by people looking for a safe investment during these turbulent times.  Curious to see if that trend will continue next year. 

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2020, 05:09:04 AM »
I think in the 5 years since this thread, Star Wars has gone up. Japanese posters seem to have more collectors too.

I like to buy cheap, modern quads - they seem to have a bump recently. My speculation on this perception is:

- Cinemas being closed, so lack of supply - less new releases, less supply of those new releases
- More collectors - there seem to be more active quad collectors recently in Facebook groups and other social media
- I'm getting tight/cheap

Offline ChromaticAberration

• Beginner
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2021, 10:08:01 AM »
Not being an expert at all and not living in a county like the USA or even Japan where everything seems to be collectable at some point in time, I gotta say that the prices of modern posters, even if in near mint condition, seem to reveal that there is not much interest to be honest. In my experience, paying more than, let's say, €5, for most modern posters, let's say, from the last 5 to 10 years, it's usually a bad deal.

This may change radically as we move back in time, especially if we are only considering original editions used in cinemas. Stuff from the 90's or even from the beginning of the year 2000 is super rare in any condition, I can only imagine how many of those just went to the trash!

The matter of the short supply will only get worse since many, many movie theatres are already digital or going that route, it is much smarter to have a couple o digital frames (basically LED TV screens?) where you just load the posters you want to scroll every minutes and be done with it...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:16:13 AM by ChromaticAberration »

• Beginner
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »
Having started in this hobbies only very recently I have to say now that it is very hard to know what to pay for any kind of modern poster.

Being a millennial I have not emotional attachment to 90% of the movies released before 1995, back then I was 10 years old and all I watched was Star Wars because my father was a great fan, only later did I started getting interested in movies in general, stuff like Jurassic Park, Matrix, Back to the Future and E.T. were my stronger references.

My collection is not built in top of A grade posters but 90% of them cost me less than €5 which seems ridiculous when I look at eBay auctions for example.

What is the fair price for a mint, 90's, run of the mill, movie poster?! I have no idea whatsoever...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2021, 01:04:54 AM »
Buy what you like for what you feel is a good price, Chromatic.  You'll be happy with your collection that way.  Price most always depends on condition, supply, and demand as you probably know. Watch eBay, emovieposter, Movieposterbid, Heritage, and others and you'll see the range of prices and perhaps some trends.  Then, jump in buying what you like.  That's my advice.  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »
Okie is right, buy what you like, that's what matters most. 

It is extremely difficult to figure out which title will increase in value over time.  So many 80s posters for movies that didn't even do well when they came out (Goonies, anyone?) have increased in value.  Others, like gigantic hits like Beverly Hills Cop, are worth nothing.  In recent years, I could have told you that La La Land was going to gain traction.  Same with the Marvels and some horror flicks.  But the rest, I have no idea.  Only time will tell but I guarantee you a lot of those €5 ones will.  They always do.  People change their views on movies, tastes evolve, a flop becomes a hit... who knows.  So buy what you like. 

And yes, the Emovieposter.com database is a very good tool.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2021, 10:44:51 AM »
I am not so much as worried with the posters I own raising in value but more afraid of overpaying because sometimes there are quite different prices for the same posters and it gets real hard to tell what is fair and what is pure speculation or even plain and simple robbery from someone who got the stuff for free and now wants to make an easy buck.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2021, 12:57:32 PM »
.......plain and simple robbery from someone who got the stuff for free and now wants to make an easy buck.

The fact that someone got something for free or cheap and is able to make an "easy buck" shouldn't concern you. I recently paid someone x10 what they had paid for a true unicorn poster only 3 weeks earlier (I didn't have this price information at the time) but it would sell for x 5 what I paid....and I managed to get another one from the original seller for the price my seller had paid. I didn't consider my seller was ripping me off. On the contrary I am grateful to him for giving me the first opportunity to purchase an incredibly rare poster off the market.

One tip I would give you when buying modern posters on ebay is to check actual completed sales after viewing listed asking prices. There are an awful lot of delusional sellers who will never find a buyer for their posters at the inflated prices they are seeking.

Mark

• Beginner
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2021, 02:01:17 PM »
Of course, I have no problem with people selling for profit but many are not even someone who enjoys posters they just happened to have come across them for example due to professional reasons.

But yeah, in the end I just want prices to be fair for both parties, the tis the most important no doubt.

I already use that "sold items" technique on eBay, it is one of the only way to get s glimpse at market trends.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »
I am not so much as worried with the posters I own raising in value but more afraid of overpaying because sometimes there are quite different prices for the same posters and it gets real hard to tell what is fair and what is pure speculation or even plain and simple robbery from someone who got the stuff for free and now wants to make an easy buck.

My 3 requisites when buying a modern poster (post 1980).

#1 Condition.  Poster must be mint, mint, mint.  After 1984, poster must be rolled.  After 1988, poster must be double sided (or single sided small indie release).  And mint.  Did I say mint?
#2 Seller.  Is the seller lying about condition (most sellers are) and does he know how to ship (most sellers don't)?
#3 Price.  I will pay if the first 2 requisites are met, even if I must overpay.  Better overpay than having to ship the poster back because the seller lied on condition and did not know how to ship.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2021, 04:51:56 PM »
I totally get the condition criteria, it's very hard not to cause damage just by simply handling them...

Guess I will have to be on the lookout price-wise regarding the ones I am looking for.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »
I recently paid someone x10 what they had paid for a true unicorn poster only 3 weeks earlier

I managed to get another one from the original seller for the price my seller had paid

so not a true unicorn ???

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2021, 09:49:38 AM »
so not a true unicorn ???

My definition of a unicorn is a poster that is believed to exist but hasn't surfaced before. The fact that the original seller had another one doesn't really diminish the meaning.

Mark

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2021, 10:13:16 AM »
^what's the poster?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2021, 10:54:45 AM »
it's very hard not to cause damage just by simply handling them...

It really is not.  There are a few sellers out there who know exactly how to handle paper and whose stuff is always pristine.

T
My Personal Collection

• Beginner
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2021, 04:18:34 PM »
It really is not.  There are a few sellers out there who know exactly how to handle paper and whose stuff is always pristine.

T
In my very short experience I have been able to slightly deteriorate the condition of one or two pieces just because I rushed and mishandled them thinking it would be ok... silly me.

In the meanwhile things just gotten worse! Since the UK has now left the European Union, one if not the best source for US one sheets is now out of the equation. I really don't want to pay extra import fees and have to deal with the Portuguese customs which are utterly inefficient. What a bummer!