Author Topic: Review Spotlight Displays  (Read 14433 times)

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
Review Spotlight Displays
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »
Hey guys,

I just set up a review feature on my Website. If you have the time it would be greatly appreciated if you went to www.SpotlightDisplays.com and gave us a review. There are two options. You can ether leave a overall review which is called "Site Review" or you can leave a product specific review which is called "Product Review" There will be a little Blue Floating Pull Tab that is at the bottom of the page. You can click on it and leave a site review no matter where you are on the site, or a product review if you are on a product page at the time you click the tab.

If you are not on a product page you can't leave a product review for a particular product. Just go to the product you wish to leave a review on and ether click the blue tab then or scroll down and you will see a place right on the page to leave a review for that product.

Again this means a lot and would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys! 
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
Re: Review Spotlight Displays
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:04:13 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone who wrote a review on SpotlightDisplays.com so far. It really means a lot!!! We still do not have any actually product reviews however. If you get a chance, please take a second to write a review on a specific frame you have purchased, it doesn't have to be anything long. If you had us custom cut a frame that is close to the size of one of our frames on the site, just pic the closest size.

There are two types of reviews, Product and Site. We currently do not have any product reviews and would love to get some.

You can go to our site and find the product you purchased, then ether click on the Floating Review button and then click Product Reviews, or Scroll down on the product page and look for the Review Widget.

Thank you very much, it means a lot!!!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:36:23 AM »
First product review is up! If you are on here, Thank you Robert Y!!! It really means a lot and is very helpful to me so I greatly appreciate it!!!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:41:53 AM »
So the house has sold and we're moving in 3 weeks.  My wife is like "awesome, now we have a dishwasher" and i'm like, "awesome, now I can put up some posters"

Are spotlight frames the APF industry standard now? Would appreciate if those who have tried them could let me know how sizes come into play.  For example do I need an extra inch on the sides? For a French 47x63, should I be buying a 48X64?  Also, if I frame a large poster like the 47x63, what's actually keeping it tight and flat in the frame - pressure? 

My concerns are obvious - 1-don't want corners damaged and 2-dont want the art to sag.

notworthy.gif

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »
So the house has sold and we're moving in 3 weeks.  My wife is like "awesome, now we have a dishwasher" and i'm like, "awesome, now I can put up some posters"

Are spotlight frames the APF industry standard now? Would appreciate if those who have tried them could let me know how sizes come into play.  For example do I need an extra inch on the sides? For a French 47x63, should I be buying a 48X64?  Also, if I frame a large poster like the 47x63, what's actually keeping it tight and flat in the frame - pressure?  

My concerns are obvious - 1-don't want corners damaged and 2-dont want the art to sag.

notworthy.gif

OK, here are my experiences.  The poster sagging is not an issue as it is tightly sandwiched between 2 layers of pet-g.  Bob generally cuts the frame with about 1/4" of slop in both directions, so 47x63 should be OK.  OTOH, French 1p are notorious for being +/- an inch in both dimensions.

Bigger issue is that the pet-g itself can billow in larger sizes.  It is held about 1/8" from the wall when normally mounted, so it is possible to see rippling. If this is a concern, consider replacing the back piece of pet-g with foamboard.

edit: rippling is the wrong word.  The poster does not get ripple effects.  What I am trying to say is that the center of the poster may move in and out from the wall as it gets caught in the breeze.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:47:12 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
Thank you sir, very helpful.  The website does make a point of insisting that you "measure your posters" which is fine.  I guess I should opt for the "largest french 1p" because the idea is to switch them out every now and then, so I need the frame to fit them all.

I'm stoked to have one of the larger ones on the wall.  I'm not even sure I can get my hands on foamboard of that size, but i get the idea.  Worse case i'll have them all linenbacked so I can tape the f-cker in place!

Will post pics in a few months when the dust settles. 

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
Hello Vick and thanks Jay for answering the question.

I wouldn't say we are APF Industry Standard by any means but there are a lot of people here who have purchased our frames and are happy with them. Thierry hates "French Grande" Frames are a big seller for us! The most important thing you can do when ordering a Thierry hates "French Grande" Frame, or any frame for that matter, is measure your posters. Especially Thierry hates "French Grande"'s as more often then not they are off in size as Jay pointed out.

The Wide Border Frame covers about 1/2" of the poster on all four sides so there is a little room to play with if you ordered a frame larger than the poster. But you can not order a frame smaller than the poster because it won't fit and will bow in the frame. The Standard Thin Border covers about 3/8th" on all four sides.

Hope this helps and thank you very much for your interest!!!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
Thank you sir, very helpful.  The website does make a point of insisting that you "measure your posters" which is fine.  I guess I should opt for the "largest french 1p" because the idea is to switch them out every now and then, so I need the frame to fit them all.

I'm stoked to have one of the larger ones on the wall.  I'm not even sure I can get my hands on foamboard of that size, but i get the idea.  Worse case i'll have them all linenbacked so I can tape the f-cker in place!

Will post pics in a few months when the dust settles. 

I know there are 40x60 pieces of acid free foamboard out there.  So you'll likely have to use two pieces cut to size as the backing...

Also a linenbacked French 1P is going to be pretty heavy.  You'd have to use some heavy duty tape to hold it up.  It's likely to sag somewhat in the middle regardless of the tape(even my linen backed one sheets do this slightly and these are framed with much thicker UV plexi overlays). 
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »
Hello Vick and thanks Jay for answering the question.

I wouldn't say we are APF Industry Standard by any means but there are a lot of people here who have purchased our frames and are happy with them. Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" Frames are a big seller for us! The most important thing you can do when ordering a Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" Frame, or any frame for that matter, is measure your posters. Especially Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""'s as more often then not they are off in size as Jay pointed out.

The Wide Border Frame covers about 1/2" of the poster on all four sides so there is a little room to play with if you ordered a frame larger than the poster. But you can not order a frame smaller than the poster because it won't fit and will bow in the frame. The Standard Thin Border covers about 3/8th" on all four sides.

Hope this helps and thank you very much for your interest!!!

Thinking Thierry is going to need a royalty cheque soon
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »
Lots of good points here, much appreciated all.  Because the 1p will be such a large poster in an innaccessible area (over staircase) i'm hoping its not too difficult to swap one for the other.  The 1p's I have in mind are old and relatively fragile so I hoep i can manage without tearing anything. faint2.gif

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:19:29 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
I know there are 40x60 pieces of acid free foamboard out there.  So you'll likely have to use two pieces cut to size as the backing...

Also a linenbacked French 1P is going to be pretty heavy.  You'd have to use some heavy duty tape to hold it up.  It's likely to sag somewhat in the middle regardless of the tape(even my linen backed one sheets do this slightly and these are framed with much thicker UV plexi overlays). 

Yes the Thierry hates "French Grande" is going to be heavy with the linen but I have to say I have customers purchase frames for Linen Backed Thierry hates "French Grande"s and they seem to be happy with them. I did have two customers that I can recall state that they did have to tape two pieces of Foamboard together for the backing to give the poster more support. Hopefully some more people can chime in as I do not have any Thierry hates "French Grande"'s Lien backed.

I do however have a one sheet lienbacked and have not had any sagging issues what so ever. It is still up as I write this and I can take a picture if anyone needs to see it. Did the frame your talking about come from me CSM? I have never had anyone complain about sagging.

Thanks.
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
Thinking Thierry is going to need a royalty cheque soon

And this went right over my head. Can you let me in on this?
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 04:30:22 PM »
And this went right over my head. Can you let me in on this?

Rob - whenever you type F r e n c h  G r a n d e on APF it comes out as Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" (because Thierry owns the place and hates that terminology)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:30:50 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
Yes the Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" is going to be heavy with the linen but I have to say I have customers purchase frames for Linen Backed Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""s and they seem to be happy with them. I did have two customers that I can recall state that they did have to tape two pieces of Foamboard together for the backing to give the poster more support. Hopefully some more people can chime in as I do not have any Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""'s Lien backed.

I do however have a one sheet lienbacked and have not had any sagging issues what so ever. It is still up as I write this and I can take a picture if anyone needs to see it. Did the frame your talking about come from me CSM? I have never had anyone complain about sagging.

Thanks.

No it did not Rob - sorry for not being more clear.  It's just an issue with larger posters - perhaps the Spotlights are a bit better at keeping the middle sections flat and taught because of the pressure of the snap frame sides on the overlays...
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »

FWIW, I have a 3 sh frame that uses a single piece of foamboard for backing.  I cut it down from a 4x8' sheet, which I got from an art supply house.  It is out there.
-Jay-

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
No it did not Rob - sorry for not being more clear.  It's just an issue with larger posters - perhaps the Spotlights are a bit better at keeping the middle sections flat and taught because of the pressure of the snap frame sides on the overlays...

Hey no problem Chris. The pressure does work pretty well and the great thing is it doesn't damage the posters.

That is funny about the Thierry hates "French Grande" or should I say French One Panel? I am assuming that is what the P is for? I never knew they were called that. Thanks for filling me in.
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
Hey no problem Chris. The pressure does work pretty well and the great thing is it doesn't damage the posters.

That is funny about the Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" or should I say French One Panel? I am assuming that is what the P is for? I never knew they were called that. Thanks for filling me in.

Using French 1P would be a good circumvention - or just join in the fun and continue using Thierry hates "French Grande" ;)
Chris

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
Using French 1P would be a good circumvention - or just join in the fun and continue using Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" ;)

thumbup
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »
I do however have a one sheet lienbacked and have not had any sagging issues what so ever. It is still up as I write this and I can take a picture if anyone needs to see it.

the golden rule is if you want to see ours ya gotta show us yours !
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:24:04 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »

That is a fare request. here you go:

Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »

Well Vick, I showed mine!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
This frame here currently holds 9 24" x 36" Art Prints. And as you all know, the paper is way thicker then Movie Posters. So these frames are a great way to store your posters as well. As long as there is no debris on the posters such as tape. And if your posters are rolled it's a nice way to straighten them out.

Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:34 PM »
Well Vick, I showed mine!

nicely done! I'm thinking you guys will get an order in a few weeks when the dust settles after the move.  Keep it up!

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »
nicely done! I'm thinking you guys will get an order in a few weeks when the dust settles after the move.  Keep it up!

thumbup
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 11:58:23 PM »
That is a fare request. here you go:

That is a fine-looking movie poster you got there.
What else you got?
 pcorn