Author Topic: Crazy Vick`s Crazy Collection  (Read 77784 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Crazy Vick`s Crazy April
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »
Rosa, you are giving the cheapest price (180 GBP) for a custom made frame, right? If so, custom made frames (or custom made anything) will always be a premium.  ;)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:09:46 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
Rosa, you are giving the cheapest price (180 GBP) for a custom made frame, right? If so, custom made frames (or custom made anything) will always be a premium.  ;)

Any frame that you have made to a specific size, frame style, etc., including the one I mentioned above for $60, is "custom made."  If you want a really fancy molding, matting, museum UV acrylic, etc., that stuff will surely be more $.

Vick was saying that the one he got was "very basic matting, framing, etc.," and I'm always shocked at how much some frame shops charge people.  I just figured I'd throw my $0.02, regarding shopping around for the best prices from local shops and/or online.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:23:44 PM by NeoLoco »

Mirosae

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
Rosa, you are giving the cheapest price (180 GBP) for a custom made frame, right? If so, custom made frames (or custom made anything) will always be a premium.  ;)

Yes Jeff.  Custom made. I am just a bit hesitant to frame some of my posters myself. If anyone in the UK or London can recommend a cheaper framer or a solid online store then that would be great!

@ Brandon. .  your 60p very helpful ! It really is good to be reminded that you can always find it cheaper elsewhere. .yessss sir thumbsup.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
Any frame that you have made to a specific size, frame style, etc., including the one I mentioned above for $60, is "custom made."  If you want a really fancy molding, matting, museum UV acrylic, etc., that stuff will surely be more $.

Vick was saying that the one he got was "very basic matting, framing, etc.," and I'm always shocked at how much some frame shops charge people.  I just figured I'd throw my $0.02, regarding shopping around for the best prices from local shops and/or online.

My thought was that certain, more standard sizes are available to purchase (27x40, 22x28 etc) and can be bought "off the shelf," or are even available from places that may also offer poster size frames and so are not "custom made" in that sense.

And as you said, Brandon, doing the research will often pay off, as these types of frames can come with UV plexi and acid free backing boards or foam core.  ;)

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Yes Jeff.  Custom made. I am just a bit hesitant to frame some of my posters myself. If anyone in the UK or London can recommend a cheaper framer or a solid online store then that would be great!

@ Brandon. .  your 60p very helpful ! It really is good to be reminded that you can always find it cheaper elsewhere. .yessss sir thumbsup.gif

It's really easy to just have a frame shop chop the moldings, cut the acrylic and foam, and then just hand it to you to put the poster, print, or whatever in.  If you get wood moldings, you just need a point driver, and points, I recommend flexible points, as they don't put too much pressure on the back, and you can just bend them and swap out the piece in the frame.  You also don't have to worry about the framer messing up your stuff this way.  Don't ask me how I know what that's like.

You're welcome.  You can call me the Frame Price Police.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:57:02 PM by NeoLoco »

Mirosae

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
Hehehe! Fully Noted ! Thanks FPP :-*

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
My friend just got a Daybill I gave her framed, $220 bucks. Aargh it looks nice though
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »
Thanks all.  The place I had to go to would not have been my first choice but alas I had that Groupon (thanks honey)

http://www.wallspacegallery.ca/services/#/framing/

The original price was $536.  Minus 25% and minus $100 came up to $307 but need to add an awesome 15% in Canadian so $360.  I`ve been trying to wrap nty head around it, my mechanic charges $80 an hour, you think they make more than my mechanic?  Would custom making a German A1 size frame take more than 2 hours (or $160)...?  Even three hours would be lets say $225 in labour...and thats not even half the $536!  I don't get it. What I do know though is that it better look MINT when its done, I tell ya if there's even one human hair behind that glass they are redoing the whole thing...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 08:49:05 PM »
By the way, nice collection, Vick.  Looks like you're into the German stuff, eh?

Love zee Germans!  I just got this one.  Wasn`t there an APF thread where everyone talked about Supergirl a while back...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
Love zee Germans!  I just got this one.  Wasn`t there an APF thread where everyone talked about Supergirl a while back...

The Germans have some cool designs. That one for Supergirl is excellent.  cool1
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:49:34 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »
It's really easy to just have a frame shop chop the moldings, cut the acrylic and foam, and then just hand it to you to put the poster, print, or whatever in.  If you get wood moldings, you just need a point driver, and points, I recommend flexible points, as they don't put too much pressure on the back, and you can just bend them and swap out the piece in the frame.  You also don't have to worry about the framer messing up your stuff this way.  Don't ask me how I know what that's like.

You're welcome.  You can call me the Frame Price Police.

I am the same way.  You can have frames, mats, etc. cut to size by a frame shop.  Sometimes I have saved money getting UV plexiglass from a plastics supply business instead of a framer, and getting archival backing board from an art supply store.

I am paranoid enough that I want to be the one to actually put my poster into the frame.  It's the only way to be sure a framer won't use some crazy adhesive, roughly handle the poster, etc.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
I am the same way.  You can have frames, mats, etc. cut to size by a frame shop.  Sometimes I have saved money getting UV plexiglass from a plastics supply business instead of a framer, and getting archival backing board from an art supply store.

I am paranoid enough that I want to be the one to actually put my poster into the frame.  It's the only way to be sure a framer won't use some crazy adhesive, roughly handle the poster, etc.

Indeed - I have framed every single one of my posters myself
Chris

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
Indeed - I have framed every single one of my posters myself

Likewise!
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »
Deke, Chris, lyn, you guys realize I'm going to call you on this and look for your advice in the near future.
 You might need to draw me some pictures though... As a poster collector - I'm quite visual!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »
Is it too late to cancel that framing order, Vic?  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
Is it too late to cancel that framing order, Vic?  ;D
Haha unfortunately I already PAID...the 25% discount was actually 20% plus 5% if you paid in advance. What a bunch of bums... And what a sucker I am!   Man these guys should hook up with Chris Cloutier and the posterfix team!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »
If it's any help I wouldn't do it myself. Too clumsy and messy.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
Deke, Chris, lyn, you guys realize I'm going to call you on this and look for your advice in the near future.
 You might need to draw me some pictures though... As a poster collector - I'm quite visual!

More than happy to give any advice I can.  I know the hassle of getting framing supplies within Canada all too well!
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
Well here's the final product, does look pretty awesome. The colours are great, light UV glass, poster wasn't glued or mounted, the spacing between the 2 mats is great.  Best birthday present I was ever "forced" to get for myself.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:16:19 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 07:28:25 PM »
Looks GREAT, Vick!  Beautiful frame and mat job. thumbsup.gif

And I gotta ask about the sign directly above that... does that mean we are in a deer "poop-free" zone??  qip

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:29:01 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »
Nice
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 05:47:21 AM »
What a great poster, fabulous frame and.......cool rug!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
What a great poster, fabulous frame and.......cool rug!

Haha.  I'll put a pic of it hanging on the wall.  Was worried it might scare the kid and my $450 frame job would have to come down.  Luckily she laughed and waved at the angry bear this morning so i guess we`re good!    bed1 :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
Good to read that your daughter liked "Mr Bear," Vick, and wasnt freaked out or scared.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »
I think she is a lucky little girl. I would have loved having something like that in my bedroom.

Looking forward to seeing it on your walls!