Author Topic: Yet Another Forum?  (Read 194696 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Yet Another Forum?
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:32:54 PM »
Well Charlie and David went off and started YET ANOTHER FORUM.  Like I told 'em, this hobby does not need any more forums.  It already has several "barely alive" forums - NS4, MOPO (which has became dealer post purgatory), MPF, and MoviePosterDB's forum.

So I'll stick around here unless and until somebody builds an Expressobeans database/forum combo, which this hobby does desperately need. Or until Bondposters comes back. Or until I get banned.   

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Yet Another Forum?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
Yes... the invites must have been sent all around town... MOPO members included.  8)

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »
Don Corleone: I have a sentimental weakness for my children and I spoil them, as you can see. They talk when they should listen. Anyway, Signor Sollozzo, my no to you is final. I want to congratulate you on your new business and I'm sure you'll do very well and good luck to you. Especially since your interests don't conflict with mine. Thank you.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
I wonder if T and Holiday got invites? :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
As long as they are different, I think there can be as many forums as people want.  The key is to make them different.  Like APF and NS4 are.  Different topics, different point of views.  Otherwise, they become repetitive.  Holiday and I have always said that if people are not happy with APF, they are free to go somewhere else or make their own forum.  It's the sign of a healthy hobby, imo.  Collectors are different, they have different needs and wants, and that's cool.  I'm not attached to anything or anyone.  We've tried to make a forum that would be pleasing for all, but we are not perfect.  We tried to make it without rules for as long as we could sustain it, but sadly, it had to end.  I understand if people don't like change and want to try something new.  That's what life is about.

So good luck to the new forum.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
As long as they are different, I think there can be as many forums as people want.  The key is to make them different.

I wish the daybill people would "self-quarantine" themselves and start a "dandydaybillsforU" forum ;0

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
Or until I get banned.  

Btw Mel, I was not 100% behind Holiday on the banning, but I understand his decision and I respect it.  We talked.  But don't even think for a minute that this is something we intend on doing more than once.  Heck, Holiday did not even ban Carson and I didn't ban the Bond guy.  We just needed to change some rules and I'm hopeful we can leave it at that.  Banning is everything we stand against and it would be really cool if we never have to do it again.

T
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:12:36 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
Well Charlie and David went off and started YET ANOTHER FORUM.  Like I told 'em, this hobby does not need any more forums.  It already has several "barely alive" forums - NS4, MOPO (which has became dealer post purgatory), MPF, and MoviePosterDB's forum.

So I'll stick around here unless and until somebody builds an Expressobeans database/forum combo, which this hobby does desperately need. 

This has been obvious for some time...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Per their Rule number one... you fight and dont  :-* and make up -- you are booted:

"This is not Fight Club and sure, there is going to be clashes along the way that happens in forums. Our advice is get over it quickly and once it's over then don't bother bearing a grudge in here, else we'll kick your ass right out the door."

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
It's good to know we are getting talked about...our ears were burning over here

We've invited all and we welcome all, including owners of all forums (some have joined too - a class act that they did too we might add). It was started by (and moderated by) Matt, Charlie and me, we're looking to add another couple of mods from different timezones/countries. Similarly there is no one owner, it is all agree or none agree.

The site itself is run using proprietary software (Vanilla) on (their) hosted server - it's got a lot of features that are different including being able to import old/other forums posts and merge them into ours. We're still learning it, we've gone with a design that is different yet fairly easy to use, pretty to look at and very easy easy to sign on to compared to the others (no approval process). We've made some rules, we've kept them simple.

This is not a battle of the forums, no one has a grudge against anyone, so no one should think that straight away, we're going to see how it goes, we'll have a play and have some fun with it, the software allows us to run it slightly differently from ALL the others that are out there which in itself is a point of difference - we do have mods however the software also allows for some degree of member management too, we'll see how that goes. We ain't kidding ourselves, as has been said before "understanding some people is like smelling the colour 9" but what hey, we already knew that before we started

Whether the world needs another movie poster forum who knows, we'll find out...if it doesn't need one now then I don't see what waiting for later will do.

If it survives then great, if it doesn't we're going to go down enjoying ourselves.

cheers!

The Guys over at The VMP Forum
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:17:00 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
Good luck (really not sarcastic)
NSF was formed when banning and deleting posts was going nuts on MPT and while NSF is slow now it was pumping for years. Mpf was founded a day or two later and that also was busy for a fair time.
You might have chosen the apt time if people are disgruntled about recent events. I'm not sure If they are or not.
Anyway can't hurt.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
Whether the world needs another movie poster forum who knows, we'll find out...

It's already quite clear that it doesn't (besides the list Mel posted there have been at least three other attempts), unless it brings something new to the party - which I am really not seeing.  Otherwise, dividing the conversation only leads to further dilution of engagement for all.

BTW, the option of stealing content from other forums seems rather sleazy...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:40:33 PM by archie leach »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tTYdhyKFpNA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tTYdhyKFpNA</a>

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
It's already quite clear that it doesn't (besides the list Mel posted their have been at least three other attempts), unless it brings something new to the party - which I am really not seeing.  Otherwise, dividing the conversation only leads to further dilution of engagement for all.

BTW, the option of stealing content from other forums seems rather sleazy...

You miss-read, I didn't say steal I said import - besides one cannot import from a database without the other's permission.

All it means is if another forum was about to fold this software could import that data so history would not be lost, nothing more sinister than that.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:36:40 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
My mistake.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »
I personally have enough with one forum.  I don't go to Mopo or NS4.  Not because I don't want to, both are fine forums and I'm sure the new one will be too, but simply because I don't have time.  I love collecting posters, but there are other things I want to do with my free time than jump from one forum to the next to pretty much get the same info.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 10:47:25 PM »
I was invited by Charlie and I've registered.  I wish them well and welcome them here.

I'm reinstating Charlie's account shortly.  He knows I was going to do so before he started the new place.

I was hasty, but he understands I had to respond to the challenge.  You can't back this old dog into a corner and expect not to get bit!

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »
I've been cross state for a few days and missed all the hubub 'cause I can't log into APF from there.
So, now I've got a bit of APF reading to do to catch up....

I did get an invite to the new forum and registered there moments ago.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »

So I'll stick around here unless and until somebody builds an Expressobeans database/forum combo, which this hobby does desperately need.

Someone please build such a forum so Mel can

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »
Oh and I am offended by the use of Vanilla in your forum name
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 12:20:50 AM »

I'll pass your concerns on to the owners of the software and server, or you can - http://vanillaforums.com/  :)
David

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 12:21:47 AM »

Really?
I thought 'vanilla' was a Canadian favorite.
It rhymes with 'snow.'
 wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 12:24:01 AM »
I had thought this was an April Fool's joke but then I recalled the Aussies are already in the future and the day of jokes has already passed...
Chris

guest4531

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 01:48:41 AM »
I had thought this was an April Fool's joke but then I recalled the Aussies are already in the future and the day of jokes has already passed...

Hehe

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 01:54:21 AM »
More power to you guys.Seriously,I wish ya well.Generally,it's tough cuz most people have an issue posting on two forums (time consuming) but ya never know,it might take off.

I'm sure my invite is on the way. ;)