Author Topic: Scarface poster  (Read 12875 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Scarface poster
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »
Has anyone seen this Scarface poster?  http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-38-x-52-orig-rolled-SCARFACE-movie-poster-Pucino-/350316596513?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51907f0d21
There is one that looks the same in the pawn shop on the show Pawn Stars, on the History Channel.

The same seller also has this Scarface poster that I have never seen.  http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-40-x-60-orig-rolled-SCARFACE-movie-poster-Pacino-/350316588507?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51907eeddb
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:26:22 PM by eatbrie »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Scarface poster
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
Bueller?...........................Bueller?............................Bueller?............................................ ...........................................
I have not seen original movie posters in this size.  Could it be an original promotional poster?  Anyone?............................................ .........................Anyone?............................................ ...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »
Three things:

1) It could be a NYC Subway poster.  The size corresponds.  But I'm not 100% sure.
2) Whatever it is, the price asked is absolutely ridiculous.  A fan might spend $150 on something like this, but not much more (IMHO).
3) The seller doesn't seem to be a "poster" seller.  So they probably have no idea what they have.

My 2c.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »
Thanks Thierry.  We can always count on you to offer an informed opinion.

I was also thinking it could be a Subway poster  :D, but maybe someone can affirm as to whether or not that is the case.

The price issue can only be determined by what someone is willing to pay, as that is how "values" are determined for collectibles, and almost everything for that matter .  To someone who has been looking for that poster for a long time, he/she might consider that price a steal.

I emailed the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop on the show Pawn Stars to see what they have to say about the one they have on their wall.  Although I didn't want to post what Colin said about the Videodrome poster, I will post what the "Pawn Stars" say about their Scarface poster, if I hear back from them.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »
The price issue can only be determined by what someone is willing to pay, as that is how "values" are determined for collectibles, and almost everything for that matter .  To someone who has been looking for that poster for a long time, he/she might consider that price a steal.

I agree with you that when people bid, and overbid each other, they set a precedent on offer vs demand that establishes the value of a given property.  But in this case, since there is no possible comparison with a prior sale, the price set seems totally arbitrary to me.  Yes, someone could bite, but it would be a fluke rather than the norm (one person doesn't make a trend).  Which is also why the poster hasn't sold.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:39 PM »
I agree with you that when people bid, and overbid each other, they set a precedent on offer vs demand that establishes the value of a given property.  But in this case, since there is no possible comparison with a prior sale, the price set seems totally arbitrary to me.  Yes, someone could bite, but it would be a fluke rather than the norm (one person doesn't make a trend).  Which is also why the poster hasn't sold.

T

Yes, yes, the price of collectibles for which it is difficult or impossible to find a comparison have price tags that represent the definition of "arbitrary".  With extremely rare pieces, they are generally "here today and gone tomorrow", with possibly no assurance that they will ever be offered for sale again.

After speaking with two gentlemen in the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop, what I thought was the same Scarface poster (as the ebay ad) is actually a numbered print of a Steve Kaufman painting, with a price tag of eight thousand dollars.  Here is a link showing what is similar to, or possibly the same as the one in the pawn shop
    http://www.stevekaufmanart.com/sak_celebrities_al_pacino_scarface_blood.asp  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:18:41 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »
3 Scarface posters, 2 of which are the same style as the ones I started this thread about 6 months ago, sold for a whopping $9.95 (+ $5.35 shipping and handling) a couple days ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-38-x-52-orig-rolled-SCARFACE-movie-poster-Pucino-/350316596513?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51907f0d21  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
I was on my PhD hiatus when this thread was posted so this is the first time I'm seeing it... however, that poster is a commercial poster that was released shortly after the movie.  They tend to feel vintage at this point so everyone thinks they are valuable... but they are not. 

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
that poster is a commercial poster that was released shortly after the movie.  They tend to feel vintage at this point so everyone thinks they are valuable... but they are not. 

Wow.  Incredible that the woman is selling those for $799 and $1299.  That is a good point though, that although they are from the same time as the movie release, and seem vintage, that does not mean that they are authentic originals.  I had my doubts, and even asked the guy selling the 3 in the auction if they were originals, and his one word reply was "originals".  Thanks for confirming that they are commercial repros, Dr. Caul.

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »
"Incredible that the woman is selling those for $799 and $1299"

I doubt she is selling them for anything.

Asking and selling are two very different animals.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:16:59 PM »
Wow.  Incredible that the woman is selling those for $799 and $1299.  That is a good point though, that although they are from the same time as the movie release, and seem vintage, that does not mean that they are authentic originals.  I had my doubts, and even asked the guy selling the 3 in the auction if they were originals, and his one word reply was "originals".  Thanks for confirming that they are commercial repros, Dr. Caul.

Sorry, to be clear I was only talking about the first poster.  I'm not sure about the second, B&W-only poster.  I've never seen that one.  However, I would guess its a similar story to Terry's Clockwork Orange poster in that it is also a commercial poster. 

It's funny.... I've seen some people list it as a *rare* commercial poster that you can't get anymore in that size  eyeroll

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
"Incredible that the woman is selling those for $799 and $1299"

I doubt she is selling them for anything.

Asking and selling are two very different animals.

Bruce

That reminds me of when you mentioned the methods of some pickers.  It wouldn't surprise me if she bought them for $10 and is now asking those prices.  On Auction Hunters (on Spike) a couple days ago, one of the guys said something like "if I can sell something for 3 times what I paid for it, then it's good, and if I can sell something for 100 times what I paid for it, then it's incredible."  To many people the name of the game is "buy low and sell high", so more power to them.

the chip guy

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »
Has anyone seen this Scarface poster?  http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-38-x-52-orig-rolled-SCARFACE-movie-poster-Pucino-/350316596513?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51907f0d21
There is one that looks the same in the pawn shop on the show Pawn Stars, on the History Channel.

The same seller also has this Scarface poster that I have never seen.  http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-40-x-60-orig-rolled-SCARFACE-movie-poster-Pacino-/350316588507?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51907eeddb

Sorry about the late bump on this one guys but I bought both of these poster from a head shop in Minneapolis like 10+ years ago for $20 each... only the 40 X 60 survived my cat. I think the movie Scarface got really pouplar again around 1998 for some reason? and these where released right around then. I really hope nobody paid that womans crazy ass asking price for them.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »
That's a cool commercial poster.  But yeah, several hundred bucks is a bit much.  You said you got it from a head shop? Were they selling stuffed animal heads?  :D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »
You said you got it from a head shop? Were they selling stuffed animal heads?  :D

Yes, they were.
That's where I got this nifty one...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
Yes, they were.
That's where I got this nifty one...

laugh1 Rudolph on meth?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
laugh1 Rudolph on meth?

Exactly...EVIL METH II: DEAD BY DAWN.

the chip guy

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »

It's funny to think how much the evil dead and evil dead 2 scared the shit out of me when I was a kid..... maybe that's why I prefer european style Deer mounts??

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:05 AM »
I contacted the seller of the Scarface posters that I started this thread about to inform him/her that the posters are not originals.  You can decide for yourself what to make of the brief dialogue between us from a few emails, and just in case anyone wants to purchase the posters, they're still for sale, $1,299 and $799.

Me:
"Just to let you know, according to a few knowledgeable people regarding original posters, the 2 Scarface posters you have listed are commercial posters. They are not originals."

Seller:
"I'm sure no poster expert. What do you mean by "commercial"? In doing my research, I found so many that were very similar, all looking like each other, but not a single one that was identical to this one. In other sorts of "things", that generally indicates that the ones that are all alike and found in quantity were mass produced,and the one that is a match to none was not produced in such quantity. I picked up a pile of posters that came out of the old, no longer operating, movie theater in Sterling City Texas --- think "Last Picture Show", also an indicator. Can you take a few minutes and educate me? Eva"

Me:
"Original movie poster" means that it was released by the studio, sent to theaters, and intended for display at those movie theaters (and later video posters were the same story except they were sent to video stores). "Commercial poster" means that it was printed by a company and sold to various retail locations where anyone could purchase one, and are therefore not nearly as rare or valuable. I contacted several people about your Scarface posters, and got confirmation from a few different people that they are commercial posters. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just wanted to let you know so you don't get into trouble for selling something that is claimed to be an authentic original, when it is not."

Seller:
"It makes me wonder how the old Sterling City movie house got them. They have been closed for some time. Hmmmmm. I'd better do some local fishing around. Thanks, E"

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
At least she seems honest.

My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »
Nice to see a seller who is interested in learning and gracious in her responses. A Good read.

Thanks for sharing a positive exchange.

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
Eddie (Film On Paper) was nice enough to send me some bootlegs, including the Scarface bootleg.

I don't have an original Scarface to compare but it's well known that the bootleg lacks the hash marks in the corners, so I went ahead and posted that information in this authentication:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Scarface.html

The bootleg is quite spectacular.  It would be very tough to distinguish it from an original aside from the missing hashmarks

Some of the highlights from that authentication:

This is the bootleg:

Hashmark, where art thou?

Bootleg also has a printing defect:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:45:44 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:40 AM »

so you are no longer linking to our site for Scarface?  :'(

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:20 AM »
Bootleg also has a printing defect:

Best to drink the glass of scotch after doing the photography, not before

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 04:26:50 AM »
Never heard them called hash marks before. Crop marks is the correct term or trim marks, unless maybe it's an american thing. Or I am just plain wrong (again).
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!