Author Topic: New to collecting Original movie posters  (Read 17212 times)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: New to collecting Original movie posters
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 04:17:12 AM »
Drugs are bad, stay off them davo..
He is addicted I think it will be a little hard for him to stay away from the drugs  ;D

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »
a) EVERY title sells eventually if priced properly, just how long you want to hold them.

b) If you are not emovieposter or heritage, do not have auctions that start at .99, you are better off throwing them in the garbage. I have never understood this, after fees your take is basically nothing if they go for .99.

c) Create a list on here with reasonable prices, be sure to price it; not make an offer stuff, and you will probably move a good chunk.

d) if you do not want to work it long term, bulk lots sell, you move a good count at a time, just dont expect to get great prices.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:49:40 AM by ddilts399 »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »
Do what Rich said.
And Dale has good points, too!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »
One other thing to check.  Twice in the last two years I have been offered bulk lots of original movie posters, but when I went to investigate, they were video release posters of mostly junk titles.  Video posters are always worth a LOT less, and the best thing you can do with them is use them to wrap birthday presents.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
One other thing to check.  Twice in the last two years I have been offered bulk lots of original movie posters, but when I went to investigate, they were video release posters of mostly junk titles.  Video posters are always worth a LOT less, and the best thing you can do with them is use them to wrap birthday presents.

Or use them as tiny bed sheets -
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
That sure sounds like a lot of work sorting through them alone, not to mention all the other work involved in selling them.  Good luck.

cheers

One other thing to check.  Twice in the last two years I have been offered bulk lots of original movie posters, but when I went to investigate, they were video release posters of mostly junk titles.  Video posters are always worth a LOT less, and the best thing you can do with them is use them to wrap birthday presents.

Not everyone feels that way about video releases.  8)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
That sure sounds like a lot of work sorting through them alone, not to mention all the other work involved in selling them.  Good luck.

cheers

Not everyone feels that way about video releases.  8)

cool1

-Jeff

Bruce

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 05:02:19 PM »
I will take 100 of these "worthless" video one-sheets:

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
Guess I shouldn't have used the term 'always', as there are 'always' exceptions.  Still a pretty good general rule, the same way that re-releases are GENERALLY worth less than first run.

If you disagree, I can give you the phone numbers for two gentlemen with boxes of video posters.  They only want a couple of $$ apiece. :)
-Jay-

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
If you expect to make money off junk modern posters, prepare for frustration:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBO0VsYFsgw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hBO0VsYFsgw</a>

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
Make a bulk All-For-One auction on ebay. List all the titles. Figure out freight shipping cost. Start at 99 cents and be done with it.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

bvick

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
Lots of great information and opinions. Thanks! All of the posters came from a local theater where I know the owner. I've flipped through most of them and pulled out what I thought were the better of the posters so I could see their condition, etc. I work in sales and enjoy buying, selling, trading, and collecting. I've gone through the worst part of the work which was sorting them out. It's fun, for now and I'm sure it will wear off over time. I'm interested in movies and posters so I'm enjoying learning the ropes do I can buy and sell honestly. I will try and post pics soon. I know they aren't the oldest posters out there but they cover parts of my childhood, high school, and college days. Lots of memories, not to mention some cool posters too

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
BUYING .10 posters, no limit..

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
I am saying that I had HOPED that with 75% commissions on $1 to $7, and two thirds commissions on $8 to $11 items (and putting all lesser items in bulk lots) I could provide people with a way to sell their low value items.

It has not worked. Yet others say they can charge less and take such consignments. I am suggesting this person, and everyone else with low value items seek out those people, consign to them, and then report back with the results, so I can send future people like this to those venues. I get at least one of these calls a month.

Bruce, why you hanging around this thread?  Get to work on those previews of your Major Auction.  So lame that you don't have any up ONE WEEK before they begin  :P

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 11:30:59 PM »
How about a gigantic bonfire?

Ah... memories ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
Is that what happened when your wife discovered another stash hidden in the back shed?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »
That would be my Final Solution as well
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »
I think I trashed at least 500 posters that day.  I have trashed many more since, but never that many in one go.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:23 PM »
How about a gigantic bonfire?

Ah... memories ;)

T

who sees the $500 poster in Thierry's crap pile?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 11:40:26 PM »
who sees the $500 poster in Thierry's crap pile?

Not me, I saw Waterworld and that was enough

bvick

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
Any ideas on uploading pics to the post via IPad other than copying a Flickr URL?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
Any ideas on uploading pics to the post via IPad other than copying a Flickr URL?

Upload them to Photobucket and then copy the URL here
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 12:02:22 AM »
I think I trashed at least 500 posters that day.  I have trashed many more since, but never that many in one go.

T

You created 500 poster martyrs
Chris

bvick