Author Topic: "Pitfalls of Youth" Not Necessarily "Marihuana"  (Read 2437 times)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
"Pitfalls of Youth" Not Necessarily "Marihuana"
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
Thought it might be worth a heads-up about the Pitfalls of Youth poster coming up at Heritage. In spite of what it says in the description I really don't think it's an analog of Marihuana, Weed With Roots in Hell (or as they inexplicably call it, Marihuana, the Devil's Weed).  The source for this attribution seems to be from Eric Shaefer's Bold, Daring, Shocking, True! A History of Exploitation Films, but how he came to that conclusion is not elaborated and I think is incorrect.

Here's why:

As you can see, this rather mysterious film does exist with it's original title and was picked up for distribution by Al Dezel in 1934.  Dezel was a large midwest distributor of exploitation films including Esper's Narcotic and Seventh Commandment.  The problem is that the earliest date I have found for Marihuana is from about July '36, and that was under its original title.  Which brings us to issue #2:

Pitfalls of Youth was shown in '36, albeit in late February, months before Marihuana likely even existed.  Notice too that this also has the de rigueur appearance of noted "counsellor" Franklyn D. Doyle, which typically accompanied birth of baby pictures such as its co-feature Her Unborn or other sorts of sex films, and not reefer movies.

It's certainly possible that this is a States Rights poster for Marihuana, but I think it's unlikely and thought it might be worth some discussion for the none of us that might be interested.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: "Pitfalls of Youth" Not Necessarily "Marihuana"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »
you may be right on this one Peter

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:35 AM »
Nice detective work Peter!  I assume this is the poster in question?

Marihuana (1936). One Sheet (28" X 42.25"). Alternate Title: Pitfalls of Youth.
A young woman succumbs to the evils of marijuana, leading to crime, pregnancy, and prostitution in this early anti-weed exploitation film directed by Dwain Esper. Originally titled Marihuana - The Devil's Weed, the picture serves as a companion piece to the cult favorite, Reefer Madness. Offered for the first time by Heritage, this is most likely a "states' rights" poster used by local distributors when the film's producers would sell the marketing rights to individual territories. Showcasing a provocative image of a young woman smoking a joint, this rare one sheet is an excellent example of early exploitation posters. Prior to restoration, the piece showed pinholes and small tears in the borders, small chips in the corners and borders, and a minor chip in the lower crossfold. Very Fine on Linen. Estimate: $600 - $1,200.
http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83120

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
That's the one.  What's cool about that poster is it seems to be the image source for the stock posters that are used for my Cocaine, the Thrill That Kills and I've also seen it used for Sex Madness.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:53:41 AM by oldposterho »
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

lynbabs

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:46 PM »
Ha Ha, that's so amusing. I see the woman got a fancy stripey cushion to recline on for her cocaine habit but while on the marijuana she only had a standard plain one. ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Ha Ha, that's so amusing. I see the woman got a fancy stripey cushion to recline on for her cocaine habit but while on the marijuana she only had a standard plain one. ;D

She also went blonde.

;D ;D

-Jeff