Author Topic: Polish Posters  (Read 49576 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Polish Posters
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
I didnt see a Polish poster thread here in the Genre section so thought I'd start one.

I only have one, so far, and the Poles have created some far out and amazing poster art -- interesting interpretations and the like.

Here's my loner, at this point, for the 1987 Polish production, Bialy Smok (White Dragon):

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:29:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Charlie

Re: Polish Posters
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
We don't need a Polish poster thread, we just need to know Dr. J...  Can't wait until he bombards this thread - about time he is recognized for being the king of Polish (and Czech) paper...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
We don't need a Polish poster thread, we just need to know Dr. J...  Can't wait until he bombards this thread - about time he is recognized for being the king of Polish (and Czech) paper...

That's all heresay and rumor ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »
That's all heresay and rumor ;)

LOL..

And in the mean time.. a thread for all those who may only have a few lying around or up on a wall...  ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
Hear + say is what I meant of course...perhaps I need an English lesson in the Polish posters thread?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
Hear + say is what I meant of course...perhaps I need an English lesson in the Polish posters thread?

In Polish:  Słuchajcie + powiedzieć

;D

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:40:12 AM »
Yes, Matt certainly has a great Polish/Czech collection.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:12:48 AM »
That's a nice looking pet you've got Jeff. Not that  keen on Polish posters tho like  High Noon and Ariadne v much...

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
Here are a few I have.

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »
Here are mine...  What I've got up so far; could be a straggler somewhere...

http://abideposters.com/blog/czechpolish/

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
Here are mine...  What I've got up so far; could be a straggler somewhere...

http://abideposters.com/blog/czechpolish/
You have some nice ones in there Charlie. You should add info about each poster such as film title, and size. We all know how some of those polish posters are hard to tell what film it is for. Also the size could be used for reference to other collectors looking to purchase one like that. Just a thought I know it is a lot of work.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
What size are your Birds and My Fair Lady Czech posters Charlie?  I just picked up an A1 of the latter, but I'm still looking for the A1 Birds if  anyone has any leads. 

As others have mentioned, I have LOTS of Soviet-era Eastern Bloc posters.  By my count I have:

56 Czechs (all but 2 are A1s)
9 East Germans
43 Hungarians
99 Polish
5 Romanians
8 Russians
5 Yugos

However, unless they were bought at at eMovieposter I don't have pictures of any of them.  Sadly I don't have time to photograph them now, but I do plan to put together a website in the near future.  As I get my sh!t together I'll start posting here. 

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
These are the three I like...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:42:04 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »
I don't want to leave y'all empty handed so I'll post my newest acquisition  ;)

While it may not be to everyone's taste (it's not my favorite Polish poster by a long shot), I cannot overstate the rarity of this poster.  It's a first release Citizen Kane from 1948.  And though this poster is absurdly rare, the image is not.  A bit of history helps to explain why...

Early elements of the abstract Polish designs actually start before WWII, but after the war when the communists first came into power all those elements came together as we know them today.  The communists were in power in Poland after WWII, but there was a fair bit of autonomy. This creative period was short-lived though -- basically only 3 years from 1945 to 1948.   In 1948 Yugoslavia rather publicly distanced themselves from the Soviets.  Not eager to allow others to follow, strict Stalinist rule was implemented in most Eastern Bloc countries starting in 1948.  All printing presses were confiscated by the state and run by the Russian-trained propagandists (the art during this time looks very Russian and nothing like the Polish designs we know and love).  All distribution of Western films in Poland was essentially halted.  This period lasted from 1948 until 1956 when, 3 years after Stalin's death, Khrushchev denounced Stalin's cult of personality and started allowing more autonomy again.  Internationals films were again screened and many of the designs from the 1945-1948 period were re-released.  This is also when the "Polish School of Posters" really started to flourish.

So basically, that is why this image is common -- because there have been many sales of '58 re-release version.  Interestingly, before the Soviets took over in 1948, movie posters in Poland were B1 size.  However, with the Soviet crackdown came a standardization of printing across most Eastern Bloc countries.  That is why Polish, Czech, Hungarian, and East German posters are all A1 size.  The '58 version is also A1 as would be expected, but this first release poster is B1.  The Poles returned to the B1 size for movie posters, but not until the late 70s. 

I've always wanted this design for my collection and I just assumed I would be buying the '58 re-release -- mainly because a 1948 version had never been sold at auction before.  Well, I recently met a really cool collector who has an incredible collection and he offered me this first release poster.  I was hesitant at first -- mainly because I wasn't sure how the market would value it.  Would people care about the history and place a premium on this poster for being a first release?  Or I guess, more importantly, would TWO people care and fight over it so I could recoup my money someday?  So I started to ask around to various Polish dealers to find out what these sell for.  I got the same response from everyone -- in the 20/30/XX years they had been collecting and selling none of them had ever seen one change hands.  There are also many museum collections in Poland and they said very few had this poster. 

That was convincing enough for me and I went ahead with the purchase :)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »

You have good taste... this was the 3rd Polish poster I ever bought :)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 07:58:17 PM »
Good call Jeff.

Good stuff guys.

Liking the site Charlie.

Speaking of sites... Matt I like the sneak peek but the fan club await the website with all those goodies.  8)

Dont have much but I do like posting.

Charlie

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
You have some nice ones in there Charlie. You should add info about each poster such as film title, and size. We all know how some of those polish posters are hard to tell what film it is for. Also the size could be used for reference to other collectors looking to purchase one like that. Just a thought I know it is a lot of work.

Well I am working on a new system - everything I try just seems to stall.  Hope to have more data but all will be in PDF format so all I have to control is on file versus multiple...  But I have no clue when I will find time to do it...

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »
What size are your Birds and My Fair Lady Czech posters Charlie?  I just picked up an A1 of the latter, but I'm still looking for the A1 Birds if  anyone has any leads. 

They are the smaller ones... Thanks for reminding me!  :P  Nah, I have convince myself that I like the smaller ones because they are easier to display - I can hide them like belgians so they surprise me...

Charlie

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 08:03:09 PM »
Good stuff guys.

Same to you Z!  Got a surprise for you in a few minutes...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 08:08:02 PM »
I hope its Amy Adams. I have bee thinking about her alot.  ;D

Charlie

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »
Well it may be ten minutes, my computer is growling at me and taking its sweet time...

Sorry about Amy, I kept her.  :P

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
Congrats on the Kane, Matt.  Guess you'll just have to open a museum OR keep doing poster gallery shows given its rarity. 

Also appreciate the history lesson before I go comatose for the weekend...
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 03:58:39 AM »
You have good taste... this was the 3rd Polish poster I ever bought :)

WoW Matt congrats. Hope you can show us yours one day.  :)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
Interesting history there, HC.

Gotta like some of the the Polish art.  After perusing Mr. Brie's site for a few minutes, saw this groovy one, for Barbarella.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:59:57 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »
These are the three I like...

Me likes that High Noon.

happy1

-Jeff