Author Topic: Phantom Variant  (Read 24814 times)

guest8

Re: Phantom Variant
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
Now .. i do agree he shouldn't open this up with a $1 starting bid and no reserve .. I think with this print in particular he should have a high BIN with the make and offer option enabled. Even someone like Doyle couldn't pull in bids high enough to make the $1 starting bid worth the risk. But if you set a reserve you will lose a bidder like myself, T and Mel and you want as many bidders as possible .. so the make an offer opens it back up again and all three of us (assuming we all want the print) will possibly put in an offer and open up a dialog with the seller. We may be willing to pay what the seller want or we may not .. but at least we (as potential buyers) weren't ostracized before we even tossed our bid in the ring. The reserve did just that .. we'd rather not bid than mess around with an auction that has a reserve.  

EDIT:::
haha .. I guess we both posted at the same time. So in response to your response .. I will bow out and just let you be. You obviously don't care to hear what the advice I have to offer even though it is not pure conjecture or personal feelings as you stated. Remember I have sold this poster in the same setting that you are trying to sell yours for about the same amount you are looking to get out of yours. So my advice comes from experience as well as T's and Mel's advice come from experience.. theirs just happens to be more so as a buyer than a seller... So all i can offer now is a good luck!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
even though it is not pure conjecture or personal feelings as you stated.

Yes it is pure conjecture/personal feelings.  I get that you have sold one.  I also understand how statistical significance works, and your one data point does not establish statistical significance.  Even 3 data points, if you were to have them, would not establish it.  One other way would be to do some kind of scientifically valid polling of bidders.  But, even that would be a difficult proposition because dynamics change when an auction is actually happening.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
I wonder what price might be achieved,if you consigned it.

Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »
3 things...

1) I don't hate all sellers, just profiteers, and more often than not, they happen to be the same.
2) I agree with Schan that what people say doesn't matter.  I too listen to no one, especially on a public forum.
3) Schan's decision to put a reserve on his item has certainly led us to express our opinions, thus raising the visibility of his item.  In that sense, he wins.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
I wonder what price might be achieved,if you consigned it.

Stew

I wondered the same Stew.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »
Seems like it's going alright so far, wish my TRON one was worth this much :p
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
Someone click that Buy it Now and end this nonsense  8)
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »
3 things...

1) I don't hate all sellers, just profiteers, and more often than not, they happen to be the same.

Come on T be realistic, your entire family history is based on profiteering (several hundred years of running art galleries I believe?) - I do not believe for one minute that your ancestors did not look to profit and profit well from what they bought and then sold. You also buy and sell shares, one would assume for a profit, that makes you a profiteer. Making money is the American dream is it not? Certainly recognising how to make money and doing so legally should not be denigrated and certainly the word 'hate' being bandied about is a little excessive.

Given recent events there are a lot worse things in life to 'hate' and people who sell posters should not really be one of them.
David

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »
Come on T be realistic, your entire family history is based on profiteering (several hundred years of running art galleries I believe?) - I do not believe for one minute that your ancestors did not look to profit and profit well from what they bought and then sold. You also buy and sell shares, one would assume for a profit, that makes you a profiteer. Making money is the American dream is it not? Certainly recognising how to make money and doing so legally should not be denigrated and certainly the word 'hate' being bandied about is a little excessive.

Given recent events there are a lot worse things in life to 'hate' and people who sell posters should not really be one of them.

David, we've talked about this 100s of times.  I was just answering Schan's comment.  I have nothing else to add.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)