Author Topic: Bruce Lee posters  (Read 60733 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Bruce Lee posters
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
I love the Coliseum cummerbund on that Japanese Way poster! 

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
Nice Armin... thumbup

I do wonder if the Japanese watching Bruce's films is a bit like the Germans watching WW2 films, if you get my meaning....

Good question Paul.
In general the Japanese are far less aware of their war crimes than we Germans. Both Bruce Lee and Wang Yu movies (whose films are very often anti-Japanese) were released there and particularly Bruce Lee was very popular. The Japanese probably just see it as entertainment with some bad and some good guys and don't pay so much attention about the historical background. There is however a small but influential nationalistic movement in the country and I reckon they were not very happy about these films.

Armin

Armin

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »
Great stuff Armin and Mike.   :)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »
Original release Honk Kong poster.  Does anyone here read chinese?  The red circle with yellow lettering is a snipe... I am curious what it says.  Thanks!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
Chengbo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 01:03:57 AM »
Wow, you work quickly!  Many thanks!

So it looks like an awards snipe... Interesting. I wonder which competition?  The Hong Kong Film Awards didnt start until 1982 (according to Wikipedia).

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »
Such a shame the Master died so young.
This thread is a stunner.

Makes me want to break out the nunchucks...

Bruce

Me

...well, maybe not...

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:04 AM »
 Since I do not believe that you can out an emovie auction (plus this is a cheap poster), this cheesy cash in on Bruce's death movie poster is available this week:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:22:08 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
I don't think it is an awards snipe. "Best posthumous" does no necessarily mean any award in my opinion. Besides, I don't think the movie actually won any award. On top-right of the poster, the same words "best posthumous" appears besides Bruce Lee's name.
To me, it is more of an album snipe. Roman Tam had a new album released with the movie called "the Game of Death", and the theme song was in the album in both Cantonese (No.1) and Mandarin (No.7).

Wow, you work quickly!  Many thanks!

So it looks like an awards snipe... Interesting. I wonder which competition?  The Hong Kong Film Awards didnt start until 1982 (according to Wikipedia).
Chengbo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Good thinking, that probably makes more sense.  Thank you again for your help!

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
I have another version of that poster. What is that, Formosa, Philippines or Singapore or something?

Also some others + lobby cards (German / French) for that title.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:27:42 PM by peckinpah »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
Game of Death Belgian

This lowly li'l Belgian Game of Death that both Tob and Mike have might be my favorite Bruce Lee design.  I always wanted to get an Enter the dragon one sheet, but the look of this one is hard to beat.  The face, the hands, the layout, the color -- all beautiful.  Great poster.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »
I have another version of that poster. What is that, Formosa, Philippines or Singapore or something?

Also some others + lobby cards (German / French) for that title.

I've seen one of those before.  It was for sale out of Singapore and I was told the "Permainan Maut" title was Malay and that it was printed, not a snipe.  So it was printed for that country.  Up until I found the first release HK poster, that Malay poster was the only one I had come across with the HK artwork on it.   

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »
This lowly li'l Belgian Game of Death that both Tob and Mike have might be my favorite Bruce Lee design.  I always wanted to get an Enter the dragon one sheet, but the look of this one is hard to beat.  The face, the hands, the layout, the color -- all beautiful.  Great poster.

Thanks Ted, I think the artwork is by Mascii? Agree that it's a great likeness and cool pose.

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
I like it too. But I prefer the late 70s (German) re-release for WAY OF THE DRAGON. I think Mascii truly captured Lee with that painting.
Also some more posters / lc's on WAY OF THE DRAGON...

And now an important question: I need a new photo upload website. A good one. (Free, fast, good tools, at least 1 GB space) Anyone? So far I was with picture trail (not much space offered any longer) and photobucket. Which was OK until they recently lost their software license. Now it's a bad bad website. Slow, complicated - waste of time (of which I got not that much). Worst is that the pictures (as well as with image shack, which I since tried) turn around while uploading. And to rotate them afterwards in 'editing' takes f o r e v e r. (even when you change the uploading settings. They probably do that so you spend A LOT of time on the site.). So if I don't find a good service soon, I'm gonna stop uploading stuff, unfortunately. Just don't have the time for these antique websites.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:58:52 PM by peckinpah »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
Jollynice, Way has always been my favourite film of Bruce's... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »
So these Big Boss quads (that use the GH wheat logo) must date from between 1974 and early 1978 at the latest.  

"Don't consentrate on the logos or you'll miss all that heavenly glory !" , lulz ;)

There are exceptions , for example : Boss spain 1sh (has 1st logo but was not released until April '73 there) , FoF yug 1sh (1st issue logo but released in '78)

H.K brochures , rarest to most common : ETD , WotD , FoF & BB. I've seen 2 covers for Boss , one more glossy and one more matte , both have vintage paper. Only seen WotD ticket , they're all scarce as hell.   

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:19:26 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
Sorry, should have posted this in here...

I hate to contradict Tang, but the U.K. FIRST release dates for Bruce's films are:-

The Big Boss   12-2-74
Fist of Fury   22-11-72 BBFC, OR 20-7-73 IMDB...?
Way of the Dragon  15-2-74
Enter the Dragon  23-10-73
Game of Death  26-4-78

I think most are spot on, but the BBFC saying 22-11-72, and the IMDB saying 20-7-73, for Fist of Fury, neither seem right to me, as I remember it was released after Enter, so sometime early 74 for the U.K. release would be more likely...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:52:39 PM by paul waines »

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
I saw an article about FoF being a hit in U.K & Ireland , it was dated Sept '73 so July '73 seems legit release date (will ask around but very good memory when it comes to such details)

WotD was def released June '74 , it says so on the dvd (text document)

BB got a Chinatown/London only showing in '72 , it's possible Lazenby attended it and decided to try his luck in H.K
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:11:28 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Tang, I always use the BBFC for British release date, usually they are very good. Do check them out...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
This is the result of a previous Wants post for a friend who decided he wanted more Man stuff in the house after too long being subjected to the products and design of an (until recently) otherwise female household.

'Why don't you get an original Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon poster', I asked.  'I can do all the searching and sorting.'  And so it came to be.

The insert came from Bruce, the restoration and backing by Alain at Poster Science, the framing by Louise Lee.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:28:49 AM by Simes »

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Return of the Dragon had an Insert poster made for it?  This for those who have the Pressbook to check in.

Cheers.