Author Topic: Pictures of posters in action  (Read 300196 times)

Through the Stones

Pictures of posters in action
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »
My first experience with movie posters was in the mid/late 90's when I got my first job at a local theater.  As such, I have only ever seen the teaser, one sheet, and vinyl banner in action and then it dawned on me that, even though I am now familiar with half sheets, inserts, LC, WC, 3 sheet, 6 sheet, etc... I have never really known what their main purpose was or seen them in action...

I'm assuming the vinyl banner replaced the three sheet and six sheet but where would have been the main display for the insert and half sheet?  Does anyone have any old photos of theater lobbies or other places where these would have been used?  I can't even approach the international sizes honestly because I've never been to a movie theater in a foreign country except Beirut and they just had US one sheets hanging up there.  But still, it would be cool to see pics from foreign theaters as well to see how they display or would have displayed their posters? (daybills too even though there seems to be a running gag about how horrible they are)

May be cool to see some sweet posters of history 'in action' as it were.  Thanks in advance! (no pun intended)

Russ

Charlie

Re: Pictures of posters in action
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:10:44 PM »
The Universal Horror thread has a bunch...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
I bought this photograph a few years back. The girls are posing in a theater hall, and in the back, argentinean one sheets for: Colleen (1936), Things to come (1935), Ya tiene comisario el pueblo (1936) and The Case of the Velvet Claws (1936).

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »
Russ, when I was young I went to several different theatres in my native New York. Soem of these were the old palaces. These theatres would have huge displays that included 1sh, 3sh, inserts, half sheets and stills as well as an assortment of other sizes. On the right side (street side) of the Lefferts Theatre in Queens there was a billboard. 40x60s would be displayed on sandwich board displays.

It was a cornocopia of posters on display.

window cards were never displayed at any theatre I went to, as their main purpose was to be distributed to stores and supermarket for display in their windows, generally in trade for advertising at the theatres

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
Hey Russ,

Here are a handful of other marquees I quickly located showing various types of posters, billboards etc, from back in earlier times:

Plaza Theater, Piccadilly Circus, UK, 1965. Darling:

Capitol Theater on Broadway, NYC, 1939, Premier of The Wizard of Oz (I'd love to see, up close, what posters are on the wall behind the crowd):

Leicester Square Theater, 1958. Desire Under the Elms:

Times Square Movie Theater, 1962. Flame in the Streets and Black Pit of Dr. M:

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Great topic!

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »
My Fair Lady 1966, Netherlands:

The Longest Day, Bangkok, 1962:

2001: A Space Odyssey, Capitol Theater, NYC, 1968:

House of Wax, Globe Theatre in Stockton-on-Tees, England:

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
The Greatest Show On Earth, 1952:

Jaws, 1975, Princeton:

Girl Gang, 1954:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:50:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
Nice pic of Stockton's ABC Jeff, only 10 miles from my House...
It's more than a Hobby...

ps.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »
i like the prospects of this thread a lot,

here's a couple images courtesy of my beloved ny public library and the museum of ny:

(and i couldn't resist this one:)

i believe all are in NYC except the one w/ 'the philadelphia story', that's chicago; and the last one is maine methinks.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
I may have posted this before, it's the Cinema at Whitby, I took this just before it closed....

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
The Cat People, 1942:

One Way Ticket to Hell, 1955:

Persuasive Peggy, 1917:

Original half sheet:

Garden of Allah, 1936:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:18:03 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »
Wuau, this thread this great.  Great topic, greap pics. Paul, Love the one you posted. Jeff, yours are incredible- cat people! clap clap

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Dawn of the Dead:

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
LOVE this stuff as I have said a thousand times.  But wish I could see more of the I Walk Alone dammit!
Chris

ps.

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
LOVE this stuff as I have said a thousand times.  But wish I could see more of the I Walk Alone dammit!

unfortunately they've only got one other shot of it, and it is basically a duplicate. as a consolation though, the man on the guitar is none other than burl ives, so i guess we're lucky the poster was in the frame at all.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
The Phantom half sheet shown in this photo is from the sound re-release. Copies of it were unknown until just a few years ago when one surfaced.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »
Great pics PS.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
i like the prospects of this thread a lot,

here's a couple images courtesy of my beloved ny public library and the museum of ny:

(and i couldn't resist this one:)

i believe all are in NYC except the one w/ 'the philadelphia story', that's chicago; and the last one is maine methinks.

Peter, this pics are incredible. The Philadelphia Story... I nearly cried looking at that one!  clap clap

Mirosae

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »
A CASABLANCA ANYONE ?

I KNOW.

I AM PREDICTABLE.

OBSESSED.

BOGIE

ME

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »
unfortunately they've only got one other shot of it, and it is basically a duplicate. as a consolation though, the man on the guitar is none other than burl ives, so i guess we're lucky the poster was in the frame at all.

Peter, was there a date on the one showing the Stauch's Original Old Time Movies, by any chance?

And Sean, would this poster be a OS for the sound version of the Phantom? This was in the other shot that Peter posted:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:02:41 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
I am wondering if the easels on the sidewalk thing was a New York only.  I don't recall that in the Milwaukee/Chicago markets in the '50s.  Large lock frames where a variety of sizes were displayed.  Deep entryways with lots of display space.  3 sheets galore.  Many frames with an insert or 1/2 sheet and the rest filled with lobbies and stills.  But nothing blocking the sidewalk.  Of course that could have been midwest ordinance as well.
-Jay-

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »
Here are a few I saved off the web, sorry don't know where from.

A couple of German ones with the first being possibly a movie translated as the Hooligans 1956

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:30:42 PM by 50s »

ps.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »
Peter, was there a date on the one showing the Stauch's Original Old Time Movies, by any chance?

And Sean, would this poster be a OS for the sound version of the Phantom? This was in the other shot that Peter posted:

sorry for the delay, it is from july 1939, (photo was part of a 'federal art project,' guessing a post-depression program, if that interests anyone)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:36:01 PM by ps. »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »
I am wondering if the easels on the sidewalk thing was a New York only.  I don't recall that in the Milwaukee/Chicago markets in the '50s.  Large lock frames where a variety of sizes were displayed.  Deep entryways with lots of display space.  3 sheets galore.  Many frames with an insert or 1/2 sheet and the rest filled with lobbies and stills.  But nothing blocking the sidewalk.  Of course that could have been midwest ordinance as well.

Jay, as a New Yorker I remember every type of display shown in this thread at one theatre or another until about the late 60s. Times Square when I was a kid was mind-blowing. sadly, I did not learn to appreciate architecture or the great palaces until they were closing them down. The theatre in Jamaica on Jamaica Blvd at 164th street was such a palace with marble staircases on either side of the circular lobby/concession area, actual Ushers and on the mezanine they had skyboxes. That was some theatre

-------