Author Topic: Universal Horror posters  (Read 128981 times)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: Universal Horror posters
« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2021, 10:46:30 PM »
Congrats Okie!  They look great framed and side by side.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #476 on: December 05, 2021, 11:48:43 PM »
Awesome Okie! Congratulations, they look great  thumbsup.gif  What's the poster behind the tree ?

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #477 on: December 06, 2021, 02:06:14 PM »
strong arms!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #478 on: December 06, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »
Love that Dracula Okie. One of my favorites and high on my want list.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #479 on: December 06, 2021, 08:51:37 PM »
Thanks Starling, Antoine, Hicks, Redman, and Undead!

Hicks: Good eye. The poster behind the tree is the 1935 Argentinean one sheet for The Bride of Frankenstein. It's pictured in the first post of my Collecting With Friends thread here
 http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,12726.msg229243.html#msg229243

Okie

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #480 on: December 06, 2021, 11:37:13 PM »
Sweet  :D

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #481 on: December 08, 2021, 11:54:10 PM »
Yeah, a little Karloff Christmas Tree peekaboo!  Okie
Sweet  :D

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #482 on: December 10, 2021, 06:57:01 AM »
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may ravage the breast of the new fallen snow when the autumn moon is bright!

Happy Holiday Season! Okie

Very nice Okie, those two are a real Christmas treat!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #483 on: December 19, 2021, 02:36:30 PM »
Thanks, Tob!  I think I may be getting longer in the tooth than Lugosi in Drac.  Okie

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #484 on: December 24, 2021, 04:09:31 PM »
My seven year old twins love watching the Uni horrors (we started with A&C Meet Frank), and the favorite monster period for my youngest is the Frankenstein Monster (the oldest loves Dracula  and Wolf Man about even).  So from a recent purchase I made, I said they could pick five cards out for Christmas presents to start their own collection, and these are the five they picked. Not bad.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #485 on: December 24, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »
God bless those little ones, Crow!  That's a nice collection for age 7 to 70!  Okie

My seven year old twins love watching the Uni horrors (we started with A&C Meet Frank), and the favorite monster period for my youngest is the Frankenstein Monster (the oldest loves Dracula  and Wolf Man about even).  So from a recent purchase I made, I said they could pick five cards out for Christmas presents to start their own collection, and these are the five they picked. Not bad.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #486 on: October 17, 2023, 02:37:36 PM »
many posters for the movie that sadly haven't survived

How many of the styles are known to exist?

After a few minutes of research, for the original 1935 release of the film in the USA, it looks like one Style D one sheet, one Style E one sheet, a handful of inserts (one of which is currently for sale by Cinemasterpieces for $99k), at least one half sheet, window card, and a few title and lobby cards, pressbooks, and heralds, are known to exist.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:41:46 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #487 on: October 18, 2023, 12:39:10 AM »
Let's not forget the Amazing Style C One-sheet.
There are also at least a couple of jumbo window cards, and at least three of each style half sheet (the other style looks like the TC of course), and the beautiful snipe of the Monster carrying the Bride (looks like the art from the style B 24-sheet).

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #488 on: October 18, 2023, 12:47:47 AM »
I think the most amazing thing about the Bride material (heck, this is true for most of the major Universal material) is that 30 years ago, almost none of this was known to exist.
There was the one copy of the "E" style one-sheet (the red advance that Todd owns), but the other two styles were not known at the time, and no half-sheets were known, and only half as many inserts that we know about today.
Very similar stories for Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, and the Invisible Man.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #489 on: October 18, 2023, 08:47:41 AM »
Let's not forget the Amazing Style C One-sheet.
There are also at least a couple of jumbo window cards, and at least three of each style half sheet (the other style looks like the TC of course), and the beautiful snipe of the Monster carrying the Bride (looks like the art from the style B 24-sheet).

This has to be one of the most beautiful posters ever created. It has it all!!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #490 on: October 18, 2023, 09:34:16 AM »
Impressive that you know which formats and all are known to have been discovered.  I read about the style c one sheet but didn't search enough for confirmation or a photo.  Thanks for adding it and the additional info.  It really is amazing that so much has been found relatively recently.  Maybe there's potential that more stuff and films that have been lost to time could still be found.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #491 on: October 18, 2023, 11:03:16 PM »
Impressive that you know which formats and all are known to have been discovered.  I read about the style c one sheet but didn't search enough for confirmation or a photo.  Thanks for adding it and the additional info.  It really is amazing that so much has been found relatively recently.  Maybe there's potential that more stuff and films that have been lost to time could still be found.

Thanks, back when I was dealing in this stuff I kept detailed lists of what was known (and who owned it).
The Style C is really beautiful in person - this one came from the Latrobe find. It was amazing to see unrestored one-sheets for all three of the Karloff Frankenstein films surface at once, and even more amazing to think that no one even bid the reserve ($150K) on the one-sheets of the first two films at the auction.
I guess that last Frankenstein one-sheet that was offered was another new discovery (and from PA again), so always hope that more unknown pieces turn up. Would love to see a Mummy insert of half turn up one day, they look beautiful in the pressbook.
www.Kaijuposters.com