Author Topic: APF Price Police: What is your standard for determining "overpaying" at auction?  (Read 51583 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
 That would make you Officer Thierry of the APF Price Police.

Funny, how most of these auctions for "rare" posters are often run up by Mark Lawd, and yet he escapes your auction price survelliance.

It's not running up if you are trying to win, which is exactly how Mark plays.

Now, why doesn't my G. I. Joe have the Kung Fu grip?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
I can't wait until I am a true pimp collector on a forum like this  eyeroll

Bitchez be trippin', yo...

Charlie

True Pimpin' APF Style...

"Actually, Bruce was the Pimp... The Matrix was the whore... And you liked it..." response from wife when telling her that posters are nothing like another woman.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:04:52 AM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Maybe then someone can Pimp My Posters?
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder

You can put all the gold rims you want on a daybill, but it's still just gonna be a daybill...

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
I didn't know this rule???

Mel's probably right.  I have a few of them myself.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Charlie

"unicorn" poster that nobody else has.

How would you know this?

I figure my Stargate Intl OS applies - no one else has that one...

I'm Elite!  woohoo

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
How would you know this?

I figure my Stargate Intl OS applies - no one else has that one...

I'm Elite!  woohoo

You're automatically cool because Stargate rocks.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
How would you know this?

Quite the paradox.  If you know, then it automatically drops on that relative rareness scale and loses some of its unicorn status.

On the other hand, most of us with that type of poster sitting around are ever curious what one would sell for if it were ever brought to auction.  And generally, the longer it takes for something to show up, the more it will command as long as it is advertised correctly.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
I have some Unicorns but i don't think they'd sell for very much, so maybe they're just Unicorns to me. I guess Unicorn doesn't necessarily translate to Valuable.

Bruce

When you have done this as long and as much as I have, you know them when you see them. I KNEW 100% that Matrix, Deliverance, and Endless Summer all fit the bill as soon as I saw them. That's what made this set of auctions really special. I am thrilled to have ONE of these kind of modern posters, but this time I had three.

Posters like these DO do better in highly publicized auctions, because everyone who cares sees them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:13:26 AM by Bruce »

Offline enki

• Collector
Hey Bruce,
Somewhat off topic, but I had a question. I purchased 3 posters in Part 1, and I received a shipping notice shortly after I paid, with the package going out priority/registered mail. Then the next day I got a second shipping notice for a package going out parcel post. Any idea what this second package is? I didn't think I ordered enough to get the books or anything like that.

Bruce

Beats me! But if you ask "mail@emovieposter.com" before Monday I will make sure they answer you promptly.

One thought occurs to me. Any chance the three posters were not good to combine and were sent in two packages?

Offline enki

• Collector
Beats me! But if you ask "mail@emovieposter.com" before Monday I will make sure they answer you promptly.

One thought occurs to me. Any chance the three posters were not good to combine and were sent in two packages?

That was my first thought, so I looked at all three auctions I won again to see if one might have been designated as being shipped flat. But nope, all three are labeled as being rolled (and all of them are rolled posters). I also only paid the single $11 shipping charge, and only one of the packages is marked as priority mail. The other one is "Package Services" which usually means parcel post (with a one week estimated arrival date from the USPS) which usually indicates books. Not a big deal, more curious than anything.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder

I'd suggest Posterfix or the guy who restored Bob's ET  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I'd suggest Posterfix or the guy who restored Bob's ET  ;D

They'd probably put fake gold rims on my daybills!
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Hey T, I just picked up the Love and Other Pursuits B1 for $4 less than you...  Haha....  Patient he says.

That's what it's all about, Charlie.  Maybe you could have waited another 6 months and get it even cheaper ;)  

Did you buy it from Hideyuki's most recent batch?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
I'm a little late to this now-rambling thread, but I would just add one more thing which hasn't been discussed: Opportunity cost & the time-value of money  This comes into play in addition to how values are affected by personal taste, connection with the movie, income, scarcity, status, etc...

Brian, you are a lawyer, correct?  I'm not going ask your billable rate, but for the sake of argument lets say it is $250/hr.  And T, regardless of whether you have money in the bank or not, I assume you have an income of some sort?  It's irrelevant what you do, but lets say it is either a burger flipper $8/hour or a screenwriter who makes $100k a year -- which after 8 weeks vacation (f*@k you and your French lifestyle! ;)), 1 week of holidays, 5 days/week, 8 hour days that works out to $58/hour.  You both want a Pulp Fiction advance:

BRIAN -- Gets an eMovieposter alert that Bruce has one for sale.  He puts in his bid and wins it for $1,500.

THIERRY -- Checks ebay, with friends, forums, etc... for 3 minutes a day for two years trying to find the PF adv on the cheap (~36 hrs).  He gets frustrated and eventually finds the Struzens (~2 hours) and, after waiting for the drop, hitting refresh, etc... (~1 hour), he buys an extra copy as trade-bait for $280. Then after more searching for willing traders (~3 hours) and packaging up the poster and mailing it (~1 hour), he finally gets his PF adv for $280.

If Brian took T's approach, he would have spent 43 hours during his search, which is worth about $10,750 of income, to finally get the poster for $280.  The total cost being $11,030.  What a bargain!

If T is a burger flipper, he would have put $215 worth of time into getting that poster for $280 -- a total of $495.  If T is burger flipper his time unfortunately isn't valued very high and it's worth while to put in time to search -- which ultimately gets him more value than flipping burgers.

If T is a $100K/yr screen writer, he would have put $2,494 worth of time into geting the poster for $280 -- a total of $2,774.  Not such a great use of his time afterall -- unless he is keeping track of his wasted time in his spreadsheet that is  :P

Obviously the numbers are fuzzy and just used as examples -- but 'overpaying' at $1,500 through Bruce doesn't look so bad to me.  And I say this as someone who operates exactly like T, spending probably a minimum of an hour a day searching for posters.  My wife often tells me that she would like me to stop searching for posters, get a part time job and just buy what I want.  She is convinced in the end that I will ultimately buy exactly the same number of posters and still have more time to spend with her and our daughter. 

Food for thought.

Bruce

Time is a very important part of the equation.

One of my bidders called on Friday. He is a well-paid and very busy doctor, and he said he could spare around an hour in total to look over ALL the items in one set of auctions, and he asked me for tips. I told him that many of my well-to-do bidders report to me that they go to the auctions close to when they start to close and then solely look at the "first page" when arranged high to low, and then they open the items of interest and place bids on them, trying to guess the amount where they won't feel they bid too low if they are outbid, but won't feel like they paid too much if they get it near their max (much easier said than done).

That's the maximum one hour an auction strategy I know of. Some people are lucky if they can spare a few hours a week, and there is NO WAY they are going to surf eBay for hours looking for that one great buy.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
I wonder how many posters we don't see being joyfully shown in here by their new owner because some people will tell them they paid too much...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:13:51 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
I wonder how many posters we don't see being joyfully shown in here by their new owner because some people will tell them they paid too much...

Food for thought. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
THIERRY -- Checks ebay, with friends, forums, etc... for 3 minutes a day for two years trying to find the PF adv on the cheap (~36 hrs).  He gets frustrated and eventually finds the Struzens (~2 hours) and, after waiting for the drop, hitting refresh, etc... (~1 hour), he buys an extra copy as trade-bait for $280. Then after more searching for willing traders (~3 hours) and packaging up the poster and mailing it (~1 hour), he finally gets his PF adv for $280.

Well, it's all very nice, but I don't actually function like this. 

I have a boxoffice database of 15,000 titles from the 40s to today.  I worked for various boxoffice publications in my early 20s, and I have kept it up to date all these years.  I also use it for posters, with special buttons that give me an accurate picture of what I own and what I need to get.  As of today, I own at least one poster for 2,751 titles.  The most I own for one title is 55 posters.  I am currently looking for posters for 724 titles.  On average, I buy about 200 posters a month.  So I don't have time to look for any specific title.  I browse Ebay, find what I like, tag it, forget about it and try to purchase it within 3 seconds of the end, mostly through sniping.  Sometimes it's a new title, sometimes it's to complete a title I already own posters for.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Last month, I bought 195 posters.  3 were posters I was looking for.  The rest was new stuff I found.  And Pulp Fiction was never something I looked for.  Too expensive and not that nice.  I only bought it because the price was right.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:26:27 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I only bought it because the price was right.

But what does this matter Thierry when you never intend on selling and you didn't really even want it?
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Because I love the title and I am a completist.

A few snapshots of my database, which is pretty gigantic...

Check the buttons on the left inside of the first screen.  Green is I Have, Red is I Want.  Sometimes it's both Green and Red, like Dark Knight Rises, although that's a mistake since I own everything I want on the title.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:54:26 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection