Author Topic: APF Price Police: What is your standard for determining "overpaying" at auction?  (Read 51650 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
We cant see the pic, Sean, as emp no longer permits hotlinking to their images.

What's the film title?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:45:27 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Agree.  I was thinking about starting a thread on cool border art for lobby cards from the 30's.  The titles are nothing special, but there is a certain grace to the card design that got lost later on.

Again, not valuable.  I usually pick them up for under $30, but the likelyhood of seeing a particular title coming up again is slim to none.

Sounds like a great idea for a thread, jay.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
We cant see the pic, Sean, as emp no longer permits hotlinking to their images.

What's the film title?

Oops  sorry, Bruce.
It was this card from Wolf Song.
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/816990.html
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
That goes back to my statement above - As long as you are willing to settle for something that wasn't your first choice, there will be lots of things to buy.

Although as much as I say that there is an ocean of posters out there, it's becoming increasingly difficult to buy anything.  Lots of deep pockets out there, which I guess is a good thing for dealers.  I had 12 items on my list at HA tonight, I won one :(  I don't know if I'm cheap, but everything is just going for too much money.  Can't afford it.  So I watch everything go bye bye.  I know they will all go for less at some point, but it is frustrating.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
Although as much as I say that there is an ocean of posters out there, it's becoming increasingly difficult to buy anything.  Lots of deep pockets out there, which I guess is a good thing for dealers.  I had 12 items on my list at HA tonight, I won one :(  I don't know if I'm cheap, but everything is just going for too much money.  Can't afford it.  So I watch everything go bye bye.  I know they will all go for less at some point, but it is frustrating.

T

Damn, if their pockets are getting too deep for you, I'm in deeper trouble. I know I'm not even in the HA league, but I'm slowly accumulating most of the stuff that pertains to my favorite films. I'm not sure how they're thought of here, but I've found some of the Mondo stuff is unique and affordable. I also like the idea of helping original artists survive. I do miss holding a piece of film history in my hands though. But I've made peace with myself about never being able to own complete original Laura or Forbidden Planet lobby sets. Heh - even after all that, I still can't seem to keep my fingers off the bid or BIN button. Maybe I need an intervention...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Damn, if their pockets are getting too deep for you, I'm in deeper trouble. I know I'm not even in the HA league, but I'm slowly accumulating most of the stuff that pertains to my favorite films. I'm not sure how they're thought of here, but I've found some of the Mondo stuff is unique and affordable. I also like the idea of helping original artists survive. I do miss holding a piece of film history in my hands though. But I've made peace with myself about never being able to own complete original Laura or Forbidden Planet lobby sets. Heh - even after all that, I still can't seem to keep my fingers off the bid or BIN button. Maybe I need an intervention...

I would also suggest that everyone's definition of "deep pockets" might vary; so dont let that aspect get you down, Dr Bill. It looks like you are doing just fine. clap clap

Are your poster prints from new artists? Sometimes, they can produce/create things that just knocks it out of the park.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters

It's not so much that pockets are getting too deep, but more that I think a lot of people spend way too much money on some items.  Looking at the numbers, I feel like my collection is probably worth 2 or 3 times more than what I paid for it.  Which I guess would be a good thing if I was in the business of selling, but I'm not.  And as a buyer, I simply refuse to overspend, so I must let go of a lot of material.  In short, it's good for what I already have and bad for what I want.  I see Heritage and I see some items I bought a couple years ago go for x5 what I paid for.  It seems to be a trend these days. and I don't want to be a part of it.  Same goes with Bruce.  A few people spend stupid money on low quality stuff.  I don't get it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
I would also suggest that everyone's definition of "deep pockets" might vary; so dont let that aspect get you down, Dr Bill. It looks like you are doing just fine. clap clap

Are your poster prints from new artists? Sometimes, they can produce/create things that just knocks it out of the park.

I'm not sure how new the artists are - it's hard to find a lot of information on some of these people. The new Mondos in my collection thread are the result of the 24x48 video that was mentioned here - they appealed to me both because of the images and their reference to some of my favorite films. I don't really care if they appreciate or not - I just like them, and the idea of supporting the artists. They're inexpensive, limited editions, and range from the conventional to the unconventional - lots of wildly different styles, yet themed for many of the films I like. Of course, I'm a bit late to the party again - some that really appeal to me are already sold out and on eBay for 4-5 times the original price. Tracie Ching's Kubrick series is a good example - but I hope to have those eventually.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Prints are also completely overpriced.  Obviously, if you want to support the artists, which is very noble of you, never buy from the scavengers on Ebay, all these people who buy prints for the sole purpose of making a few bucks here and there.  I own a few prints myself and some of them have greatly appreciated, mostly because of title, artist, low print number and time elapsed.  So if you collect wisely, you could end up with a nice little collection.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
It's not so much that pockets are getting too deep, but more that I think a lot of people spend way too much money on some items.  Looking at the numbers, I feel like my collection is probably worth 2 or 3 times more than what I paid for it.  Which I guess would be a good thing if I was in the business of selling, but I'm not.  And as a buyer, I simply refuse to overspend, so I must let go of a lot of material.  In short, it's good for what I already have and bad for what I want.  I see Heritage and I see some items I bought a couple years ago go for x5 what I paid for.  It seems to be a trend these days. and I don't want to be a part of it.  Same goes with Bruce.  A few people spend stupid money on low quality stuff.  I don't get it.

T

As a newbie to the hobby, I think I do get it. We uninitiated stick our toe in the water, become overly enthusiastic, aren't well versed in what the items are worth, and get caught up in bidding wars. Some of us are limited from bidding astronomical amounts by our budgets and our SO (my wife thinks I'm absolutely crazy and is about to put her foot down after seeing $5,000 spent so far on paper I pack away in plastic tubs). But those with money to burn willingly burn it as the hobby becomes more in vogue. Sometimes I cringe when I think some of the really rare stuff may get tossed in time as people grow tired of collecting and go on to whatever hobby is the current fad for them.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I'm not sure how new the artists are - it's hard to find a lot of information on some of these people. The new Mondos in my collection thread are the result of the 24x48 video that was mentioned here - they appealed to me both because of the images and their reference to some of my favorite films. I don't really care if they appreciate or not - I just like them, and the idea of supporting the artists. They're inexpensive, limited editions, and range from the conventional to the unconventional - lots of wildly different styles, yet themed for many of the films I like. Of course, I'm a bit late to the party again - some that really appeal to me are already sold out and on eBay for 4-5 times the original price. Tracie Ching's Kubrick series is a good example - but I hope to have those eventually.

That's what it should be about, in a nutshell, there, DB. Well said. Buy because you like something, and not as a potential investment. If it should increase in value, it's like an added perk, but not the sole reason for buying something you might not like, just because it might go up in value.

And its great to buy from lesser known or unknown artists. Some may spring to the head of the line and be the next best thing (hot) and then you have material that you love AND could appreciate in value, so it's like an unplanned win-win, should that happen.

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
My standard for overpaying at auction is...

Life Expectancy ÷ Wife
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Very good sir.

Nice to see you 'back'.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
Many thanks. My back is my best feature... :)
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
My standard for overpaying at auction is...

Life Expectancy ÷ Wife

I think that's a smart formula to live by, Nick.

(Tho Nick hasnt been around in a while, so maybe he broke his own rule).  dontknow.gif GoOn.gif
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:10:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff