Author Topic: Before and After [Show Off Your Restoration]  (Read 131366 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Before and After [Show Off Your Restoration]
« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »
Just what the doctor ordered.
 clap clap clap clap

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #451 on: October 06, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
Great before and after pics, Tob.

And the wash certainly got rid of the surface dirt and made the colors pop! Do you know if JM gave your poster a bleach bath as well? The slightly toned color to the top text and borders (on your before pic) is gone with those areas looking much whiter.

Nice job, I must say!

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #452 on: October 06, 2016, 12:15:34 PM »
Very nice job as is to be expected from Jaime, always great work, same for Dario. Will have to see how I compare, doing one of these ESB's this weekend.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #453 on: October 06, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
Looks incredible. Can't believe that difference.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #454 on: October 07, 2016, 12:48:40 AM »
Very nice job as is to be expected from Jaime, always great work, same for Dario. Will have to see how I compare, doing one of these ESB's this weekend.

Unless he's in the midst of HA Signature work. Then other restoration work for individuals appears to take more a back seat, (or so it seems), or is passed to others in his studio. I think we can all recall Neo's account and experience:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10063.0.html

And it's not about saying that JM doesnt usually do good work (as Tob's example shows) but about where his priorities are at certain times of the year.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:03:43 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #455 on: October 07, 2016, 02:44:07 AM »
Unless he's in the midst of HA Signature work. Then other restoration work for individuals appears to take more a back seat, (or so it seems), or is passed to others in his studio. I think we can all recall Neo's account and experiencehttp://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10063.0.html

And it's not about saying that JM doesnt usually do good work (as Tob's example shows) but about where his priorities are at certain times of the year.

Yeah, I can attest to the fact that work from Jaime's shop is not "always great."  I was going to sell that poster they goofed up, but decided to keep it for the added history to it.  Lawl.

Who knows whether it was a "certain time of the year", someone goofed, gross negligence, amateur hour, etc.  Clearly there was no quality control in my experience there, that they let something with work that bad be returned to the owner, and the damages should not have happened in the first place. 

Anyway, I'm glad that other people had a good experience with Jaime Mendez Restorations.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:48:01 AM by Neo »

guest4868

« Reply #456 on: December 28, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
Just got my restored Italian 400 Blows due fogli back from Mario at Lumiere Poster Restoration. He did an amazing job, especially considering how beat this thing was when I got it from EMP. Thanks to erik1925 for his help guiding me on my first restoration job!

Before

After

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #457 on: December 28, 2016, 02:36:53 PM »
CercleRouge, that restoration job is brilliant. He has done a super job you must be made up with it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #458 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »
Bravo, Mike!! It looks wunderbahr! Like night and day! Mario looks to have done a fine job there. clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #459 on: December 28, 2016, 05:56:14 PM »
Wow.  That is an uncanny restoration!
 clap clap clap clap

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #460 on: December 30, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »
Amazing work!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #461 on: December 31, 2016, 05:15:04 AM »
Yeah, that really is spot on.

Nice story too.  Nice that you brought it full circle with the results.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #462 on: November 22, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »
Charlie et al.
I normally remove paper snipes from one sheets with alcohol given that it evaporates quickly although I know there are better options.  What would you use to remove a snipe from an older silkscreen  where the ink is more pronounced?  I'm scared the alcohol will end up smudging the ink as opposed to newer offset printing.  Should I just leave it?

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #463 on: November 23, 2020, 02:49:09 PM »
Charlie et al.
I normally remove paper snipes from one sheets with alcohol given that it evaporates quickly although I know there are better options.  What would you use to remove a snipe from an older silkscreen  where the ink is more pronounced?  I'm scared the alcohol will end up smudging the ink as opposed to newer offset printing.  Should I just leave it?

Any pictures?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #464 on: November 23, 2020, 08:51:18 PM »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #465 on: November 24, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=12398243
Thanks for looking Charlie.

Without a full wash, I would be worried about bleeding.. Matte poster like this often have loose ink that can run a bit. I would also assume that the snipe is just water based.  You could try take a moist paper towel (not wet) the same size as the snipe and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and see if the snipe lifts... Another option is something called Methylcellulose... It is an ether but basically a weak adhesive. It can be used to remove other adhesives like that behind the snipe or wet the snipe. One thing that is nice about MC is that if dilute enough it will not impact the image and dry clear almost acting as paper sizing. 

Else, I think it looks pretty damn good as is. Good luck!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #466 on: November 24, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »
Just caught this thread.  I usually don't check anything related to linenbacking, but I just did, and I must say that this Les 400 Coups posters is absolutely amazing!!!!  Whoever  guest4868 is.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #467 on: November 25, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
Without a full wash, I would be worried about bleeding.. Matte poster like this often have loose ink that can run a bit. I would also assume that the snipe is just water based.  You could try take a moist paper towel (not wet) the same size as the snipe and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and see if the snipe lifts... Another option is something called Methylcellulose... It is an ether but basically a weak adhesive. It can be used to remove other adhesives like that behind the snipe or wet the snipe. One thing that is nice about MC is that if dilute enough it will not impact the image and dry clear almost acting as paper sizing. 

Else, I think it looks pretty damn good as is. Good luck!
i will give that a go.  Many thanks, sir! thumbsup.gif

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2021, 03:32:26 AM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/160757480@N02/50858866976/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160757480@N02/50858868531/in/photostream/

Is there any point restoring this , can find it for 150$ or so - problem is its very rare :/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160757480@N02/50859002962/in/dateposted/

Ive asked Dario but it all depends on the price , Im not picky about it , as long as its somewhat painted over im fine with it

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160757480@N02/50858911251/in/dateposted/

Sadly Big Boss already on linen , im gonna try to paint over the damn writing myself as i dont want to pay expensive shipping overseas for lb poster
https://www.flickr.com/photos/160757480@N02/50859007517/in/dateposted/

Whats current value OUATITW Jill 4sh.....might not be worth to have it pro restored ?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 04:00:14 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline stagecoach56

• Beginner
« Reply #469 on: May 13, 2023, 08:59:11 PM »
Before and after.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2023, 07:32:58 AM »
Before and after.

You’ve been doing amazing - almost hard to believe. You seem to be a natural at it. Congrats!