Author Topic: The Box Office Thread  (Read 84254 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: How many movies will Avengers kill at the US BO?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 12:46:29 AM »
Another sad turn of event for Hollywood: The market doesn't seem to be expanding anymore.  In the past, even bad movies could do okay business at the BO thanks to the constant onslaught of P&A brainwashing from the studios and a little breathing room in the market.  It doesn't seem the case anymore.  Blame it on the growing cost of movie tickets, on the 3D surchage, but moviegoers seem more discerning in their choices.   When a movie does really well, it leaves cadavers in its wake (or, as Archie would put it, and in an attempt to be more diplomatic :)) takes away millions from the BO battlefield.  The Hunger Games helped kill Wrath of the Titans (a better movie which did half of the business of its critically lauded predecessor), and The Avengers helped kill Dark Shadows and Battleship.  While both movies are bad (I have seen them, and I can attest), they would have done substantially better business without The Avengers grossing $500 mil +.

Now comes Paramount's G.I. Joe, which has led me to change the title of this thread.  G.I. Joe was moved last Thursday from June to March 2013.  The studio used a 3D conversion attempt as an excuse, but no one is duped.  The movie is bad, and seeing that two really expensive movies have already flopped this year (prompting Disney to a $200 mil writeoff), Paramount freaked out and moved their dud to greener pastures (even after spending millions of $ on advertising.)  Toys were also pulled from shelves.  The way they had it set up, G.I. Joe was coming out a few days after Brave (no effect there), but also a few days before the new Spider-Man.  If the former ends up being good, it would probably do to G.I. Joe what Hunger Games and The Avengers did to others.

This is definitely a new turn of events that has a lot of people in Hollywood scratch their heads.  Personally, I think it all comes down to the absurd ticket prices and 3D surcharge.  Are bad movies really worth seeing that much?  It's finally sinking in.

This is nothing new to anyone that's been paying close attention.  3D was a temporary band-aid on Hollywood's gushing wounds, but actual attendance hasn't been growing for years (2011 was a 16 year low).  There are just far too many cheaper and easier ways (legal and illegal) to see the film rather than in a theater, not to mention all of the other reasons to avoid the cinema.

More and more, for someone to see a film in a theater they have to overcome inertia presented by these other factors and that will only happen in highly motivated instances.  The primary choice isn't between watching The Avengers and another film, it's between watching The Avengers and staying home doing anything else.

The Hunger Games helped kill Wrath of the Titans (a better movie which did half of the business of its critically lauded predecessor)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/clash-of-the-titans
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/clash-of-the-titans-2

Both movies truly sucked... the difference, the first movie massively disappointed the majority of the potential audience for any subsequent Clash movie, so much so that the second movie became a film that no one wanted to see...  The Hunger Games had very little, if anything, to do with it (much less so than The Avengers on Dark or Battleship)...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:48:52 AM by archie leach »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: The Box Office Thread
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 12:51:38 AM »
You might just be one of the most colorful and original guys I know, even if it's cyber friendship.

T

hmmm, not sure I get it, but I guess thanks. :)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 12:04:58 AM »
Now that The Avengers is losing steam, business should go back to normal.  I am expecting Snow White to be quite big this weekend (I already have my tickets for Friday night), but Boxoffice.com has it at $42 mil., which seems quite low to me.

Universal needs SWATH to be big. The studio's Battleship severely underperformed domestically in the shadow of Avengers just a few weeks back. Unfortunately, all the tentpoles that have opened since Avengers have disappointed. SWATH will test whether or not the influence of Disney's juggernaut has finally subsided (...) Look for Snow White and the Huntsman to take in $42 million from around 3,700 locations.

I think it should make at least $50 mil.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
Funny, on the morning "news" this am they made a comment how Avengers was the cause of other movies failings, I had a chuckle, maybe sunrise or today or whatever it was (the show) reads APF
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
Or maybe they have common sense.

Or even better yet, maybe they actually work in the movie industry and know what they're talking about.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 12:27:28 AM »
unfortunately if you had seen aussie breakfast TV you probably wouldn't be liking this news. ;)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
unfortunately if you had seen aussie breakfast TV you probably wouldn't be liking this news. ;)

Was Delta singing?

She's so hot!
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:32 AM »
no, but she is on TV all the time on a really crappy TV show called The Voice. I am sorry you like her, I suppose it might be a french thing like Tina Arena. (?)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
What's wrong with her?

She's completely unknown in the US, BTW.  I discovered her by accident through a record producer I know before she was even famous in Aussie land.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
Well I understand people find her attractive and talented.
She is not my taste at all looks wise, and her music bored me.
Well done for finding her, I thought maybe it was like how Tina Arena is popular in France or something. I had a huge crush on Tina Arena, when I was about 6 years old (and she would have been 9).

Delta was famous here from 2002 when she was on Neighbours.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »
Or even better yet, maybe they actually work in the movie industry and know what they're talking about.

That, my friend, would be a rare bird indeed...  :)

BTW, your probably right about the gross on Snow White, the Twitlight Hunter - the ads/marketing efforts seem to have hit the mark even if it blows with the critics/audiences...  Though a Hunger Games hangover is a possibility...

Ebert really liked it and most of the quality critics ended up in the green zone, so at least it shouldn't be a steaming pile...

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/snow-white-and-the-huntsman

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:43 AM »
Yeah, actually, I think I'm going to be wrong...

From Variety: Just two weeks after suffering B.O. debacle "Battleship," Universal is seeking swift salvation from "Snow White and the Huntsman" -- though instead it appears the studio is bracing for another round of damage control as it projects a weekend gross in the low- to mid-$30 millions.

With tracking off lately, Universal's seemingly lowball figure could wind up being right. That would prove highly unfortunate for U, given "Huntsman's" production cost, which some sources peg even higher than the reported $170 million. International B.O. will help -- pic launches day-and-date this weekend in 45 territories -- but a soft Stateside bow will spell trouble for the pic, putting it in the company of this year's growing string of misfires, including "Battleship," Disney's "John Carter" and, to a lesser degree, Sony's "Men in Black 3."

Don't know why.  Or maybe they're going low to later say that it's a bigger it than they thought.  Either way, I really want to see it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
I thought Delta was very attractive for years, but a week ago I saw her on tv next to a younger girl and Delta looked, how do I say... over the hill  :(

She is supposedly earning 750K (for the series) on The Voice whereas the 3 other international stars are on 2 milllion

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
hey thats a clever banner.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
I thought Delta was very attractive for years, but a week ago I saw her on tv next to a younger girl and Delta looked, how do I say... over the hill  :(

She is supposedly earning 750K (for the series) on The Voice whereas the 3 other international stars are on 2 milllion

Dammit... I was going to make a sarcastic banner ad... (not as good as the one you made though)...

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
hey thats a clever banner.

I'm giving a subtle hint to any dealer using plain image banners in their sigs to make them clickable, like those everywhere else on the internet (since it went commercial back in the mid 80's ;) ).

Charlie

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
I'm giving a subtle hint to any dealer using plain image banners in their sigs to make them clickable, like those everywhere else on the internet (since it went commercial back in the mid 80's ;) ).

Man, I forgot I had made that page... Guess I should update it now.  ;)  Funny it was on my first click...

Bruce

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

If the people on this forum don't know where our auctions are or how to get there, then they are REALLY slow!

Bruce

Charlie

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
Great toy Steve; I am having fun just seeing who will pop up.  Now you just need to get with Holiday and T so you can get some kick backs as a referring site...

Charlie

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »
If the people on this forum don't know where our auctions are or how to get there, then they are REALLY slow!

Bruce

What you should do is get with Steve and link it to a random item up for auction...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
If the people on this forum don't know where our auctions are or how to get there, then they are REALLY slow! stew!

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
Okay, so it turns out I was closer to the truth with my $50 mil., even though it still seems quite low to me...

"Snow White and the Huntsman" is faring better than expected at the U.S. box office, with early Friday returns pacing the Universal fairy tale actioner at $17 million to $19 million for the day and $48 million to $52 million for the weekend.

The numbers are a good sign for U, which downplayed expectations Thursday for the big-budget tentpole, projecting a mid-$30 million weekend that would have marked a second straight miss for the studio. But "Huntsman" came on strong with $1.38 million in midnight runs Thursday from 1,092 locations, a performance buoyed by "Twilight" star Kristen Stewart, whose fans are known to show up early. That momentum so far has carried through to Friday matinees.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2012, 12:16:36 AM »
Here's a question for you Thierry - why does the industry release weekend box office numbers well before Sunday is over? 

I know they project the total for the weekend and then usually correct it on Monday...

Why not just wait until Monday and only state the true return?
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2012, 02:16:46 AM »
Here's a question for you Thierry - why does the industry release weekend box office numbers well before Sunday is over? 

I know they project the total for the weekend and then usually correct it on Monday...

Why not just wait until Monday and only state the true return?

Cause Hollywood needs something to talk about...  That, and the projections after Friday are usually very close.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2012, 02:42:52 AM »
What he said.
My Personal Collection