Author Topic: Moviepostersgallery.com  (Read 78368 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Eatbrie.com
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »
Oh, and those who care, my website is finally working, but I have so much stuff to unload, I feel it's going to take me a few weeks to go through it all.  That's a month worth of shit.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »
Gee, you're getting some serious stuff now, well done. Very nice indeed. Any hints where you found all this stuff ;)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
Damn... I don't know which of those five I like the best.  They are all gorgeous.
I'm partial to JEKYLL AND HYDE and Anselmo Ballester... but, Martinati's SAYONARA is absolutely amazing.

Posterodyssey

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
Like...  Super Nerd of the World?

haha...no no,we slowly saw you branch out into other genres,embrace things you weren't crazy about in the begining,buying more and more,you just don't turn that off.Maybe some day but it takes a long time.If ever.

While I was posting a reply to this thread you added more posters.Years later and you're even worse. ;)

Anthony

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
Gee, you're getting some serious stuff now, well done. Very nice indeed. Any hints where you found all this stuff ;)

I take offense.  Are you saying that I'm only getting serious stuff now?

moron1

All of these came from a collector.  No auction, no dealer, just person to person.  The right way.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »

haha...no no,we slowly saw you branch out into other genres,embrace things you weren't crazy about in the begining,buying more and more,you just don't turn that off.Maybe some day but it takes a long time.If ever.

While I was posting a reply to this thread you added more posters.Years later and you're even worse. ;)

Anthony

My taste are constantly evolving.  I first went for the 80s, my movie decade.  Then I slowly moved to the 70s and 60s.  Now that I own 90% of what I ever wanted to own from the 80s, 70% of the 70s and 50% of the 60s, I'm moving to the 50s.  And then the 40s.  Not interested in the 30s and silent cinema, so I will stick to post 40s.  There is still a lot to do.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 11:54:43 PM »
I take offense.  Are you saying that I'm only getting serious stuff now?

moron1

haha, I mean a nice big run of the older stuff lately thumbup , as much as I like Ms Cruz and a huge Tin Tin poster.

Posterodyssey

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »
My taste are constantly evolving.  I first went for the 80s, my movie decade.  Then I slowly moved to the 70s and 60s.  Now that I own 90% of what I ever wanted to own from the 80s, 70% of the 70s and 50% of the 60s, I'm moving to the 50s.  And then the 40s.  Not interested in the 30s and silent cinema, so I will stick to post 40s.  There is still a lot to do.

T

Oh yeah,and that work,will not end.It may slow down,but end? No.There's too much out their.Something always around the bend.
Ya,I sensed you'd be on a long journey years ago.And I got the 'Force' too, so that helped me know stuff.

Another nice batch,BTW

Anthony

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
Oops... Forgot this one :)

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951, French 22x28in)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
Oh the last one is beauty...
Ves

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
Very nice, T.

Sometimes, you just have to shell out, when the opportunity presents itself.

True beauties, all.  clap
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:26:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »
Exactly right.  This is the most I've ever spent on a single batch of posters, but it's still about 40% less than dealer prices on these posters.  I will for sure never find these posters on Ebay, so I might as well get them when they pop up.  The collector I bought them from has more stuff for me, but the wife won't let me spend another penny.  So I have to wait a few months until I can go for another batch.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
Exactly right.  This is the most I've ever spent on a single batch of posters, but it's still about 40% less than dealer prices on these posters.  I will for sure never find these posters on Ebay, so I might as well get them when they pop up.  The collector I bought them from has more stuff for me, but the wife won't let me spend another penny.  So I have to wait a few months until I can go for another batch.

T

Well, that's what happens when you come home from a trip with 40 tubes waiting at the door so that she can trip over them and break her neck hauling in the luggage while you drool over your new acquisitions rather than her rockin' bod.

Idiot.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »
BTW, you're so close to the truth.  The guy who was housesitting when I was gone sent me this email half way though my trip...

"Stop it!!!  No more packages!  You are not allowed to order anymore packages/posters while away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   PS-you are still are very important man even if the mail man doesn't deliver you posters everyday!"

:)

T

My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »
That's scary, man.  When your housesitter is telling you that, you're really on the edge of reality.

BTW, you're so close to the truth.  The guy who was housesitting when I was gone sent me this email half way though my trip...

"Stop it!!!  No more packages!  You are not allowed to order anymore packages/posters while away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   PS-you are still are very important man even if the mail man doesn't deliver you posters everyday!"

:)

T

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »
Well, that's what happens when you come home from a trip with 40 tubes waiting at the door so that she can trip over them and break her neck hauling in the luggage while you drool over your new acquisitions rather than her rockin' bod.

Idiot.

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

That conjures up quite the image.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
A few more from my guy...

High Flight (1957) (art by Anselmo Ballester)

In a Lonely Place (1950)

The Left Hand Gun (1958) (art by Luigi Martinati)

T
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:21:48 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »
The IALP is certainly an interesting take
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 12:08:17 AM »

The Left Hand Gun (1958) (art by Luigi Martinati)

Cool poster. thumbup

How's the movie?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »
So I'm thinking of revamping my website.  

Since I'm beginning to own a few nice pieces and I feel I may have something to show with pictures of my 11,400 posters, I wonder if I shouldn't try to expand beyond this forum (I've never thought of advertising my website beyond my signature below) and try to reach more folks interested in movies and/or posters.  With that intent in mind, I will begin to look for someone here in LA who can do computer work and retool the whole damn thing.  New look, search engine and an easier way for me to dump information onto the site.

My question is, how do you go to search for someone like this and how much should you be willing to pay someone for the work?

Ideas?  Thanks.

T
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:38:26 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »
I recently hired a web developer using the freelancer.com website. You write a pitch/specification with your requirements and people bid for the work. You can then discuss over the instant messaging system and choose someone and get started. They have a milestone payments system so you can set up part payments and release them when goals are met.

Regarding cost, the guy I used is cheap and pretty good, but it is quite hands on in terms of testing and feedback to him (mainly as my gallery needs were fiddly). I imagine you can have a much less hands on experience if you want to pay more than I did.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 12:13:14 AM »
^ I've been curious how this would work out, interesting. Good luck!  thumbsup.gif

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »
^ I've been curious how this would work out, interesting. Good luck!  thumbsup.gif

My 3 cents from experience. Doing this for a living and being in charge of my companies web development team it is my job to hire and oversee freelancers from time to time when we have too much work coming in and find them on a number of sites.

In short like anything you get what you pay for. If they have a really cheap rate you get really cheap coding that may or may not be up to current standards in design, architecture, notations, programming conventions and most importantly security. If you are going to use a freelancer from any site I strongly recommend at a minimum using a site that has their freelancers take skills tests in the areas you need or at least the advanced areas you need. Brie for example if you are looking for a strong database driven site, most likely you are, make sure that they are proficient in the back end programming language that you are going to use. For example PHP and MySQL as well as the front end languages needed such as jQuery, Javascript, HTML/5, CCS/3, etc. if using one person for all aspects. Programmers that are willing to and have taken these tests often cost more but the end result in time spent and longevity is worth the price. We can find $25hr programmers all day long but in the end the time needed to complete a project, oversite, code review, etc. more often than not greatly exceeds the cost of having hired a $100hr programmer at the start.

Before you even start looking for them write out a plan for what you want including interface, general appearance, etc. Think of things like do I want the site to be visible primarily on a regular computer screen, primarily mobile or both. The little things thought out before hand can have a huge impact on the project price rather than adding or changing them later.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2016, 09:44:05 AM »
The less customization you do the cheaper it will be. You can get someone that is proficient in something like php/mysql and wordpress to kick something out pretty quick with all the prebuilt wordpress stuff. It is also very important to have something built that you can take over the administration on, you dont want to pay someone to build then also be constantly maintaining, so make sure you fully understand the admin/new addition process once they turn it over.

guest4531

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 05:03:12 AM »
What are you currently using to upload content on your website ?  Do you do everything with HTML codes or is there a administrative panel ?  Secondly, do you use a database... if yes what are the fields ?

1/ Whatever you do first, make sure you have a backup of your website - code, content, database, images

2/ If you don't mind reuploading/redoing everything yourself; easiest solution is to have something like Wordpress installed on your server and reupload all content (categories; tags, etc.).  Wordpress is easy to use, customable and database oriented... but before you do, make sure you sit with programmer and set the Wordpress custom fields (like author; year, etc.)

3/ Another option is indeed to hire a freelancer. As Undead said above, you usually get what you paid for and a great programmer is fast resulting sometimes in cheaper price than poor programmer :)  Make sure you know what you want and don't ask for unecessary things.

For a search engine, since it is indexed by Google, any search restricted to your domain name on Google (or other) will do (e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aeatbrie.com+Pantalon )

Easier way to dump content as opposed to ? I can't imagine you uploaded 11400 postersd by hand (y)

In my opinion, your website is great and don't need much.  Also, unless you really want to tackle all devices, I would stick to simple responsive design (to fit all screen sizes) and would avoid to have any funny javascript or Jquery code, they are nice but at the end, there is always a bug or compatibility problem on certain devices and it can become a nightmare.  Don't forget, old skool is good and robust :)   

Last but not least, if you want to expand your site, I would focus more on branding, web activities, marketing, social networks, etc.    Get "eatbrie" account on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook (or page), Twitter, etc (you can use IFFTTT to automatise these tasks).   Add share/like buttons on your website, etc.  Increasing your internet activities and doing having web marketing strategy will have a much more impact than a revamp of your website.

I have been in web developing (as a hobby luckily) for many years. Not in LA though but if you need advice or help, I would be happy to assist.  Personally, I would install Wordpress on server and roll on (or ask you host to do it for you).  First, don't forget, please backup !!

Cheers

So I'm thinking of revamping my website.  

Since I'm beginning to own a few nice pieces and I feel I may have something to show with pictures of my 11,400 posters, I wonder if I shouldn't try to expand beyond this forum (I've never thought of advertising my website beyond my signature below) and try to reach more folks interested in movies and/or posters.  With that intent in mind, I will begin to look for someone here in LA who can do computer work and retool the whole damn thing.  New look, search engine and an easier way for me to dump information onto the site.

My question is, how do you go to search for someone like this and how much should you be willing to pay someone for the work?

Ideas?  Thanks.

T