Author Topic: Poster Guide Site  (Read 59455 times)

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
Re: Poster Guide Site
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
i just registered and tried to sign in but it says its failed?
do i need a confirmation email?
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »

It no work....

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »
Works fine for me. I just logged in.
But then again, the ladies always said I had a 'special touch'...  wynk

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
hi can i ask what kind of pic you would prefer?
by that i mean corrected/cleaned up or just raw and how the photo looks?
i should have time this week to sort through some fairly not so special pictures for you :)

Not fussy about the picture. I'm happy to have something of lower quality in there, rather than nothing at all for that title.
I also have a cropping interface when I approve the images, so I can take care of that side of things.

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »

Hey guys, what did it say when it failed?
remember you need to sign in with your email, not your username.

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
Hey guys, what did it say when it failed?
remember you need to sign in with your email, not your username.
i think it said
"SEAN IS STUPID, PLEASE KICK HIM IN THE HEAD!"
it was me and nothing wrong with the log in what so ever DOH!
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
i think it said
"SEAN IS STUPID, PLEASE KICK HIM IN THE HEAD!"

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:01:59 AM by brude »

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:48 PM »
One other thing to try, for those of you who have registered.
When you click on a poster and view the details, you will see a link that says 'Add to Owned List'.
This allows you to catalogue your collection. If there is a poster missing, you can now submit it and add it to you collection.
Your collection can be viewed using the Owned posters list found on the left hand menu on every page.
Other people can also view you collection by using the Members link on the left hand menu.
You can post a direct link to your collection on any forum or website.

Thanks Guys,

Alex

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2012, 05:55:16 AM »
Hey Guys,

There might be some disruption of the site over the next few days, as I am moving to a faster semi-dedicated host. The old one was just too slow.

Thanks,

Alex

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have almost finished moving the website to the semi dedicated host.
In the process of uploading 30GB of data (Large Images), but as of now, the site will function as normal (thumbs only, no medium or large images).

Having issues transferring the old domain away from the old host, so the new address is: www.posterguide.org
I will redirect to this domain from the old address, but please update your links for the future.

Will be away for 3 weeks from Sunday, but feel free to contribute your submissions, and I will approve them ASAP.

Thanks,
Alex

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
Ok, Finally finished transferring.
Hopefully you guys will notice the speed difference.
Would appreciate any submissions.

Thank,
Alex

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »
I would suggest you have a banner somewhere or something that requests submitters NOT to submit anything unless they have paper in hand otherwise you are going to end up with people submitting digital images like movieposterdb.com which is practically worthless for a reference site because of all those images which do not exist as a poster.

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
Thanks for all the support I have received from you guys.

One individual has taken issue to the site. He is a pioneer in the research field.
I have tried to reason with him but he has done nothing but patronize and ridicule me.

I want to present my side of the story.
I started this site as a private server (for me only, not public use).
As such, I did not think to credit each individual image to the sites that they came from. When I made the impulsive decision to put the site online, I quickly threw together a thank you page with a list of sites that photos had been sourced from.

As pointed out by a number of dealers, I should have asked permission before putting the site online. I totally agree with this, and feel very bad that I did not do so.

Over the next month (currently on holiday), I will be contacting everyone to ask for access. I will be adding links back to the image providers site on a per image basis (unless the dealer/collector does not require this)

I hope everyone understands that my intentions were good.

Once again, I apologize, and please let me know if you would like your images removed.

Thanks,

Alex

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
Good for you, Alex.
I'd sure like to know the name of the knucklehead that has patronized and ridiculed you.
He/she should get a life.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »
Presumably he's referring to Ed Poole (LAMP).

Alex, just tell them all to go to hell and follow the Wikipedia model, which is the gold standard of non-profit websites.  For movie posters Wikipedia doesn't credit image sources, it only credits the copyright owners, the movie studios.  

Your thanks page is sufficient to credit the image sources.

By the way, virtually all those poster dealers massively cheat on their taxes, so don't shed any tears for them. And Goodfella is a joke.  He tried to set up a FOR PROFIT movie poster authentication site.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:08:14 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
Alex, just tell them all to go to hell and follow the Wikipedia model, which is the gold standard of non-profit websites.  For movie posters Wikipedia doesn't credit image sources, it only credits the copyright owners, the movie studios.  

Your thanks page is sufficient to credit the image sources.

Right on, counselor.
 cheers

Bruce

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »
Mel wrote: "virtually all those poster dealers massively cheat on their taxes"

Why virtually and not all? Is it because you know I am 100% honest on my taxes?

And how about lawyers? Do you have any generalizations you want to make about them? Or how about people of color?

Stick to  what you know and can prove.

Incidentally, is it fine with you if Ed copies all the material you have created for your sites (images and text) and adds it unattributed to HIS site? If not, why not?

Bruce

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »
Everyone stretches the truth on their taxes. It's the American Way!

Well, everyone who actually CAN cheat. People who have a simple W2, standard deductions/allowances and file a 1040EZ can't really.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »
Mel wrote: "virtually all those poster dealers massively cheat on their taxes."

And how about lawyers? Do you have any generalizations you want to make about them? Or how about people of color?

Stick to what you know and can prove.

Incidentally, is it fine with you if Ed copies all the material you have created for your sites (images and text) and adds it unattributed to HIS site? If not, why not?

Bruce

Well put, Bruce.    clap clap

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »
Mel wrote: "virtually all those poster dealers massively cheat on their taxes"

Stick to  what you know and can prove.

Bruce

Most small businesses cheat on their taxes. That's just a fact, Bruce. According to this article, small businesses cheat the IRS $122 billion every year, approximately 1/3 of the tax cheating in this country.  Small law firms are just as bad as any other small business.  Consequently, wage earners like me - who cannot hide their income or inflate cost of goods sold or make dubious business deductions - end up paying a higher share of the taxes than they should.

Ed and anybody else can take any movie poster image off my sites without permission or credit because those images are legally reproductions of copyrighted works or of formerly copyrighted works that have fallen into the public domain, so I have zero ownership right in them. I could care less anyway. The physical poster is what is important, not the image.

Likewise movie poster dealers and consignees have no ownership interest in images of movie posters. They have a temporary right per Section 109 of the US Copyright Act to post an image of the poster so long as the poster is available for sale. That right terminates when the physical poster is sold.

By contrast, as you should know, the text on your site and mine is an original work, is automatically copyrighted, and cannot be copied without permission.  So you're comparing oranges and apples.

"People of color."  You're just going off on a wild goose chase on that one.

Back on topic: Alex's website is a huge public service to the hobby and should be commended, not attacked.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:02:16 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

TopsideKracker

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2012, 09:41:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I have a non-profit movie poster guide site at www.movieposterguide.com.
Started it as a site for my own private use back in early 2000s, been updating it all these years on and off. Decided to upload it so that everyone could benefit.

It aims to track any and all movie posters that have been produced around the world.

Would appreciate any feedback that you could give.

Thanks,

Alex

Sweet!  Nice job!

One problem though... registered for your site and it won't let me enter enough characters on the login screen for the password I registered with.  Maybe this is why others were having problems too?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:43:18 PM by TopsideKracker »

Offline arsim

• Beginner
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
Sweet!  Nice job!

One problem though... registered for your site and it won't let me enter enough characters on the login screen for the password I registered with.  Maybe this is why others were having problems too?

Ok, should be fixed now, thanks for finding this.

Alex

TopsideKracker

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »
Ok, should be fixed now, thanks for finding this.

Alex

Yep... fixed now.  :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:23 AM »
Despite all the broughaha, it's ironic that LAMP actually has a very sensible and correct fair use & copyright policy on its own website:

LAMP Disclaimer

Materials on any of the Learn About Network websites are offered as a contribution to education.

Transmission or reproduction of protected items may require the written permission of copyright owners. However, the nature of archival collections is such that copyright may often be difficult to determine. The appropriate use of this information rests with the patron.

Since the Learn About Network does not maintain any records of rights, we cannot give or deny permission to publish or distribute information displayed on our websites. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials from the Learn About Network.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:28:58 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »