Author Topic: Blade Runner 27x41 1982 US or International Rolled Reprints?  (Read 64468 times)

Charlie

Re: Blade Runner 27x41 1982 US or International Rolled Reprints?
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
Mel make sure you document this on your site, I might one day want to buy the poster and ultimately will remember this thread existed and then not be able to find it through search....  ;D  Seriously though, good work guys!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
Mel make sure you document this on your site, I might one day want to buy the poster and ultimately will remember this thread existed and then not be able to find it through search....  ;D  Seriously though, good work guys!

I think Archie's got the right idea here.  The whole thing is FUBAR - no one really has a definitive authentication test - so buy a 30x40 or 40x60 if you positively want a true "original."   I'm perfectly happy with my 1992 re-release one sheet (same image) and the 2007 Struzan re-release (superior art IMHO and supposedly preferred by the director as well).  My primary concern, as always, is digital repros pumped out by the Tom Loces of the world.

But in any event I have placed a link to this thread in the Authentication section of MoviePosterCollectors.com so the valuable info in this thread won't be lost/obscured.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:38:42 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »
Archie-
I'm trying to assemble the facts that we know.  So far your contributions have been very light on usable facts:

It's a fact, not conjecture that Warner Bros. used theatrical one-sheets for video releases during the '80s.

Ok, although I don't know this to be true personally, I'll give you that one as a FACT.

According to Dan's story, this poster was reprinted from the source at the time of release, and for several years after, for use by cable companies, video releases and just about any time someone asked for some posters

No offense to you or Dan, but I rate that one as 2nd hand unsubstantiated CONJECTURE at this point.

This was the changeover period and it can be rather title dependant.  For the larger titles (Ghostbusters was another) the studios were already feeding the commercial market through people like Kirby, who sold at conventions and colleges.  There are tons of rolled studio BttF, at one point there was a near endless supply on eBay that Dave L. practically made his living reselling.  I would caution against misconstruing what you see for sale versus what exists.

Sounds plausible.  However, is there any proof that extra copies were in fact printed by the studios specifically for non-theatrical uses?  I'll put on my conjecture hat and ask, couldn't they just be extras from a 2nd printing after it was a bigger hit than expected?  Or in Blade Runners case, extra copies from their 3 different print runs after it bombed in the theaters?  And does this mean that all rolled studio issue BTTF 1-sheets are also suspect?  If studios printed a larger run for other uses does that make them no longer 'movie posters'?  What about the extra posters Hammer printed up for Dracula has Risen From the Grave?  They specifically printed extra and gave them out to people who wrote in... does that mean they aren't real movie posters?  I rate that one as CIRCUMSTANTIAL which proves nothing about Blade Runner in question.

You are asking to prove something that is likely unproveable.  What would MPG be testing?  My point was just that the MPG grading service can only establish date ranges that are not in issue in this case.  Variant 3 may well be the real deal, but there may very well be plenty of Var 3 copies that came from Joe Cable guy.

Exactly.  I am asking you to back up your statements... if they can't be they probably shouldn't factor into a posters authenticity or not.  In this case, MPGrading can prove that the poster was printed during the appropriate time period.  However, you claim that it could have been in the months afterwards using the original plates and at the behest of the studios.  Sure, but couldn't that have happened with EVERY SINGLE MOVIE that was released in the early days of the video/cable market?  Are we not to trust any posters from this period?  What is so special about Blade Runner?  What about The Shining?  Caddyshack?  Creepshow?  The Outsiders?  Vacation?  Risky Business?  Right Stuff?  Gremlins?  Once Upon a Time in America?  The Goonies?  By your logic, studio or nss or rolled or folded, all Warner posters from the early 80s should be avoided just in case -- because, you never know. Right?

More like Joe Cable operator and others operating in conjunction with Warner publicity on the official side and after hour runs for 'friends and family'...

See my response above.  

Alternatively, here is what we know:

1) There are three different styles of Blade Runner posters -- 2 NSS variants and 1 studio -- all of which or none of which could be original.  ;D
2) If we think Bruce's sales figures are representative of the larger market, we can assume:
  2a) All three styles show up folded as one would expect from original movie posters.
  2b) One of the NSS styles has yet to show up rolled, but the other two do occasionally show up rolled -- again as one might expect during this time period.
  2c) The studio printing shows up rolled much more commonly than the NSS poster does -- which one might expect with a normal run of posters from the mid-80s.
3) There are personal testimonies on MOPO that claim all three versions have turned up in lots bought directly from theaters.  Conjecture, yes, but it is directly related to the posters in question and it won't be used as definitive proof.  I'm going to allow it  ;)
4) Variant 3 (NSS with offset name/number) showed up rolled in the Continental Litho stash Dave acquired from an NSS employee and that also included other posters most everyone believes to be genuine (and amazingly given how far back they go, rolled).
5) There is a full-sized, confirmed (based on fiber match to modern bootlegs, and lack of alkaline) bootleg of the studio issue Blade Runner poster.  I'm willing to send mine to someone with a confirmed original -- preferably folded and from a theater lot just to be case -- for comparison if they'll share the results here on the board.

Nothing from the above (except for the bootleg of course) strikes as particularly fishy for an early 80s movie poster.  If we are willing to entertain stories like the ones you are suggesting, then they should by no means be limited to just Blade Runner -- unless of course you have evidence to the contrary.  So either all posters from the early 80s are suspect (Warner only?), or what seems to be the more likely case, there are rolled Blade Runner posters of various print runs that are likely originals -- just beware of bootlegs.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:01:20 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »
the solution it seems is buy a THEATRE USED copy. In reality they are really the ORIGINAL posters huh?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »
the solution it seems is buy a THEATRE USED copy. In reality they are really the ORIGINAL posters huh?

So unused posters aren't original?  ;)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
playing devils advocate. but are they? if a few hundred/thousand extra are printed, never used. Never sent out. Later flogged off via the back door. again DEVILS ADVOCATE.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »
playing devils advocate. but are they? if a few hundred/thousand extra are printed, never used. Never sent out. Later flogged off via the back door. again DEVILS ADVOCATE.

I know, I'm just giving you shit.  But in reality, you could never know as they are from the same print run, on the same paper, etc...  That argument could probably be made for EVERY modern poster.  Without fail I always see new posters on eBay before I ever see them in the actual theaters.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:59 PM »
I could be getting confused with insert here as I haven't thought about this particular poster for ages, but wasn't there something about the image cropping on the reproductions too?
Ves

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »
I could be getting confused with insert here as I haven't thought about this particular poster for ages, but wasn't there something about the image cropping on the reproductions too?

Yeah, you are thinking about the insert...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
Archie-
I'm trying to assemble the facts that we know.  So far your contributions have been very light on usable facts:

Ok, although I don't know this to be true personally, I'll give you that one as a FACT.

No offense to you or Dan, but I rate that one as 2nd hand unsubstantiated CONJECTURE at this point.

Sounds plausible.  However, is there any proof that extra copies were in fact printed by the studios specifically for non-theatrical uses?  I'll put on my conjecture hat and ask, couldn't they just be extras from a 2nd printing after it was a bigger hit than expected?  Or in Blade Runners case, extra copies from their 3 different print runs after it bombed in the theaters?  And does this mean that all rolled studio issue BTTF 1-sheets are also suspect?  If studios printed a larger run for other uses does that make them no longer 'movie posters'?  What about the extra posters Hammer printed up for Dracula has Risen From the Grave?  They specifically printed extra and gave them out to people who wrote in... does that mean they aren't real movie posters?  I rate that one as CIRCUMSTANTIAL which proves nothing about Blade Runner in question.

Exactly.  I am asking you to back up your statements... if they can't be they probably shouldn't factor into a posters authenticity or not.  In this case, MPGrading can prove that the poster was printed during the appropriate time period.  However, you claim that it could have been in the months afterwards using the original plates and at the behest of the studios.  Sure, but couldn't that have happened with EVERY SINGLE MOVIE that was released in the early days of the video/cable market?  Are we not to trust any posters from this period?  What is so special about Blade Runner?  What about The Shining?  Caddyshack?  Creepshow?  The Outsiders?  Vacation?  Risky Business?  Right Stuff?  Gremlins?  Once Upon a Time in America?  The Goonies?  By your logic, studio or nss or rolled or folded, all Warner posters from the early 80s should be avoided just in case -- because, you never know. Right?

See my response above.  

Alternatively, here is what we know:

1) There are three different styles of Blade Runner posters -- 2 NSS variants and 1 studio -- all of which or none of which could be original.  ;D
2) If we think Bruce's sales figures are representative of the larger market, we can assume:
  2a) All three styles show up folded as one would expect from original movie posters.
  2b) One of the NSS styles has yet to show up rolled, but the other two do occasionally show up rolled -- again as one might expect during this time period.
  2c) The studio printing shows up rolled much more commonly than the NSS poster does -- which one might expect with a normal run of posters from the mid-80s.
3) There are personal testimonies on MOPO that claim all three versions have turned up in lots bought directly from theaters.  Conjecture, yes, but it is directly related to the posters in question and it won't be used as definitive proof.  I'm going to allow it  ;)
4) Variant 3 (NSS with offset name/number) showed up rolled in the Continental Litho stash Dave acquired from an NSS employee and that also included other posters most everyone believes to be genuine (and amazingly given how far back they go, rolled).
5) There is a full-sized, confirmed (based on fiber match to modern bootlegs, and lack of alkaline) bootleg of the studio issue Blade Runner poster.  I'm willing to send mine to someone with a confirmed original -- preferably folded and from a theater lot just to be case -- for comparison if they'll share the results here on the board.

Nothing from the above (except for the bootleg of course) strikes as particularly fishy for an early 80s movie poster.  If we are willing to entertain stories like the ones you are suggesting, then they should by no means be limited to just Blade Runner -- unless of course you have evidence to the contrary.  So either all posters from the early 80s are suspect (Warner only?), or what seems to be the more likely case, there are rolled Blade Runner posters of various print runs that are likely originals -- just beware of bootlegs.

1. I personally took regular Warner Bros one sheets from Video stores in the '80s.  Back then, the main 'movie poster guy' at the local poster shop used to cruise video stores specifically for WB poster that he would re-sell as orginal theater posters, because they were identical.  I saw him do it, first hand.

2. Conjuecture or not, at this point it doesn't really matter.  Dan was relaying a story told to him first hand from one of the guys doing the printing, if I recall correctly.  Dan has no reason to make this up (neither do I for that matter).  His story happens to make a great deal of sense when one considers the near endless supply of one sheets, and only one-sheets, on this title over the past 25 years... I mentioned it only so that anyone in passing can take the information for whatever they want.

3. Kirby and Phil both used to tell stories about posters being feed to the general public through alternative channels.  I believe that it was Kirby who sold 500 rolled copies of each Ghostbusters poster at a single event - but I could be confusing this with one of the many longtime dealers who have shared similar stories.  By the end of the '80s, studios started trying to sell directly to consumers via in-theater handout catalogs (Paramount and WB being the primary culprits - Batman had a high-gloss version onesheet and even a cardboard mobile for sale - I have the mobile hanging in my closet).  There can be any number of sources and avenues for these posters. When you have the answer to the rest of the questions that you asked in this paragraph, then please let the rest of the hobby know, because we have been debating many of those issues for, at least, the last 10 years.

4. The "if you can't prove it, then it shouldn't be mentioned" is a ridiculous stance.  That the posters were printed in the general time period was never the issue, so MPG, while it was helpful in finding your bootleg, does absolutely nothing to address the possibilities that Dan and I mentioned.  I addressed some of your questions (why Blade Runner?) in the Unicorn thread. 

Personally, I would be wary to some degree of any WB poster from that time period (82ish-90ish, when the double sided posters started kicking in), that's just me.  Other people's milage may vary.  The difference here is that we have a report regarding Blade Runner and we don't have a report for the other films that you mentioned.  I seem to remember that BR was just one of a few titles - rolled versions of Vacation have also been a dime a dozen, so I would not be surprised if something was up with that title as well.

Paramount 're-struck' Say Anything, among several other titles, to sell in their own catalog.  WB re-struck Dirty Harry in '88 or '89 so that they could sell high priced versioned autographed by Eastwood.  These are facts.  If studios did that, then what other extremes do you think they reached.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 01:21:56 AM »
I hear what you are saying Archie, and I don't have any reason to doubt Dan -- even though I don't know him.  However:

1) I don't doubt you took WB posters directly from video stores, I labeled that one as a FACT.  Did you happen to personally take a BR?  Do you remember which variant it was?
2) Is there any confirmation that WB wasn't just using extra stock as opposed to printing extra runs months/years later?  Later studio restrikes are somewhat common (Star Wars, Raiders, etc...), but they are usually identifiable as such. 
3) Even if the studio printed them, they wouldn't have printed all three styles... how could we ever know which was reprinted?  All three of these posters show up as folded in original theater collections...  I don't think the potential that 1 style might have had an extra studio run should invalidate the whole lot, do you?
4) Even if the studio printed them, are they not still original posters?  They were printed by the studio using the original plates, no?  See my Dracula Has Risen From the Grave question below...
5) Finally, I never claimed "if you can't prove it, then it shouldn't be mentioned".  I agree, that would be a ridiculous stance.  However, I do claim, "if you can't prove it, you can't prove it."  Until definitive evidence comes out, these stories can be considered as part of the balance of evidence, but they don't and shouldn't prove or disprove anything by themselves. 

As of right now, the fact that Bruce sold 70+ 1-sheets for this title does seem a bit high, but I wouldn't say the market is flooded with them.  Star Wars, Raiders, BTTF, all have way more sales.  And I don't think you can simply point to the other size posters (30x40, 40x60, etc...) being few and far between as proof of an over printed 1-sheet.  The NSS were the only ones printing these sizes and they were phased out entirely less than 3 years later.  I mean how many 40x60s do you see for Raiders vs. the 1-sheets?  The studios only printed 1-sheets, and you've already mentioned studio posters seem to be more prevalent for most 80s posters, especially rolled ones. 

Once again, nothing seems particularly fishy about this poster -- even if a few extra copies entered the market via video/cable outlets.  Just watch out for bootlegs, which right now are confirmed in the studio style.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
Y'all take a look at this sale that just ended for $192 

The seller posted the wrong stock image of the poster. 

Isn't this the studio version MPGrading rejected?

Left:

Right:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
And what about this alleged pre-release poster?

Printed in USA on left:

Nothing on right:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:59:22 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
Y'all take a look at this sale that just ended for $192 

The seller posted the wrong stock image of the poster. 

Left:

Right:

I was watching that one Mel and in fact it is one of the reasons I started this thread.

It IS the same style that MPGrading advised Matt was a bootleg.  Now that doesn't mean conclusively that the one auctioned is a bootleg as well but
it was certainly enough of a concern to cause me not to bid!  Oh and couple that with the stock image used and the "0" feedback of the seller ;)
Chris

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
I've been wondering for a while about my Version 3 (NSS text in centre) that I bought several years ago from Granada Posters (a seller I trust) but it's good/interesting to hear that it's likely to be legit. The bloke who runs the Movie Poster Art Gallery (MPAG) in London is convinced that V3 is a bootleg and last year he had a V1 or V2 listed (can't remember which) with text along the lines of 'We've recently verified with someone on the production team that the fuzzy NSS text version was not an official printing'. I'll have to ask him who he actually spoke to because I don't consider that to be any kind of proof either.

I actually ended up picking up a V2 (studio version) from Jerry Ohlinger's store in NYC last year (well worth a visit, as Mel can attest) since I was starting to think my V3 was a bootleg. Matt, do you think all of the studio versions are bogus? Or could it be that a copy run was done using an original studio version?

What I've thought about the different Blade Runner versions all along is this: if you were trying to bootleg a popular poster would you not try and make it identical to one that was known to be legit, not add extras on there (Printed in USA, NSS text)? I'd argue it's perfectly reasonable that there'd be differing styles, some of which were perhaps printed after the initial release.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:37:06 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »
Something VERY odd is going on with that Blade Runner you posted Mel.

The winner bidder also has "0" feedback and is a new account & now the seller has relisted the poster (since presumably HE was the winning bidder)
with a $130 starting point and a $350 Buy it Now.

Even if he didn't shill his own auction, it's still another major red flag that he's selling ANOTHER rolled copy so quickly!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:34:44 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »

I actually ended up picking up a V2 (studio version) from Jerry Ohlinger's store in NYC last year (well worth a visit, as Mel can attest) since I was starting to think my V3 was a bootleg. Matt, do you think all of the studio versions are bogus? Or could it be that a copy run was done using an original studio version?

Ed - is your V2 rolled?
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »

From what has already been posted, that guy's auctions do sound fishy.  But not all studio posters are fake.  There are plenty of rolled and folded examples having been sold by HA and eMovie.  Again, I do have a fake of this poster... if anyone has a folded studio version from a trusted source, I'd be happy to send mine out to see if we can't find ways to authenticate this particular variant.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
Chris: Yep, it is.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
There are plenty of rolled and folded examples having been sold by HA and eMovie.

Matt, you know as well as I do that just because HA or Bruce sold the rolled copies it does not 100% conclusively mean they weren't bootlegs as well.
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

Thanks Ed.

The disproportionate # of rolled V2's (as per Matt's analysis) coupled with MPG's opinion that there is at least 1 rolled V2 bootleg out there
could also lead one to be very wary in buying a rolled V2
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:41:56 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 04:42:41 PM »
Chris: I totally agree and would have thought twice had I known about the MPG grading prior to purchase.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

If you weren't in England I'd send you my bootleg for authentication... Anyone have a studio issue on this side of the pond?

I can try to take a high res image... but if these were printed by the same folks as the PF regular suspected bootleg, then I'm guessing it will be tough to simply look at photos unless they've been shot at the same time and color corrected properly.

Bruce

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
"Matt, you know as well as I do that just because HA or Bruce sold the rolled copies it does not 100% conclusively mean they weren't bootlegs as well."

The difference with us vs everyone else is that if you ever get good proof we accidentally sold you a bootleg, we take it back at full price and eat the loss ourselves, even if it is YEARS later!

Try this with ANY other seller and see what happens, but keep the phone far from your face because when you tell them you bought it from them years ago because the raucous laughter will deafen you!

Bruce
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:21:38 PM by Bruce »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
I was watching that one Mel and in fact it is one of the reasons I started this thread.

It IS the same style that MPGrading advised Matt was a bootleg.  Now that doesn't mean conclusively that the one auctioned is a bootleg as well but
it was certainly enough of a concern to cause me not to bid!  Oh and couple that with the stock image used and the "0" feedback of the seller ;)
Those close ups also show a lot of spots on the poster..are those spots on the legit versions too?

Stew