Author Topic: It's Coming Monday!  (Read 21607 times)

guest8

Re: It's Coming Monday!
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
The question i posed about "double shipping" was in reference to when/if a deal feel through for whatever reason. For example, if a seller sold a poster and find out that it is not up to the condition standards and wants it back, who would pay for the return shipping? I doubt MPE would, so the seller would have a cancelled sale and pay shipping and return shipping and even though it was their fault I'm sure they would feel burnt by MPE.

One other "issue" I thought about was, you keep saying that a seller has to pay shipping to the auction house. But, one big difference would be that they only have to pay shipping one time Rich or Bruce (or MPE if they consigned everything at one time). If a seller sends Bruce 20 posters the seller would pay $20? shipping the posters to Bruce? Now... If a seller lists 20 posters on MPE and sells them individually they seller would be paying a minimum of $10 per poster to ship each poster to MPE?

So lets toss some numbers around .. If someone were to sell 20 $100 posters through Bruce and 20 $100 through MPE ..

Bruce:
-$20 Original Shipping
+$2,000 in sales
-$560 (28% in fees)
------------------
$1420 Profit

MPE Auctions
-$200 ($10 shipping x 20 posters)
+$2,000 in sales
-$200 (10% in fees)
--------------------
$1,600 Profit

MPE Consignment
-$20 (shipping)
+$2,000 in sales
-$400 (20% in fees)
--------------------
$1,580 Profit

So if these numbers are close to accurate it seems that it would only make sense to consign everything and leave it in the hands of MPE to photograph and list everything and that way the buyer doesnt have to worry about anything and it only cost $1 more per poster. You may even end up with more profit if the individual shipping ended up being more than $10.

These are all just thoughts and my observations .. Im not attacking or anything like that .. but with a brand new service like MPE .. its an "unknown" .. So us crazy people will want to examine every possible costs and step in the process of selling. :)

Bruce

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »
You guys who don't have your own auctions who are picking these new auctions apart remind me of the guys in Grease:

HEY, WHAT DO YOU DRIVE, HUH?
I DRIVE.
YEAH? HOW ABOUT YOU?
WHO, ME?
YEAH.
WHAT ABOUT DOODY?
I...I...
THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.NOW, COME ON, GUYS.THIS CAR COULD BE A MAJOR PIECE OF MACHINERY.
AND LOOK AT THIS.THIS CAR COULD BE SYSTEMATIC."HYDROMATIC" "ULTRAMATIC" "WHOO" "WHY, IT COULD BE GREASED LIGHTNIN'"

Give it a chance! You all want alternatives to eBay and Heritage, and this could be it. If it has flaws, give them a chance to find them and fix them.

Bruce

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »
So if these numbers are close to accurate it seems that it would only make sense to consign everything and leave it in the hands of MPE to photograph and list everything and that way the buyer doesnt have to worry about anything and it only cost $1 more per poster. You may even end up with more profit if the individual shipping ended up being more than $10.

If you do an auction and list 20 different posters yourself I would think you'd send them all to MPE at one time, because supposedly they're all going to be listed at the same time.  That would in your scenario add $180 more profit.  I would imagine you could also list 20 Buy It Now's and just send them all to MPE if you wanted to even though they'd probably sit there for a while.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »
Give it a chance! You all want alternatives to eBay and Heritage, and this could be it. If it has flaws, give them a chance to find them and fix them.

Bruce is correct.. there is nothig for anyone to be bitching about (if anyone was thinking of bitching)

the facts are - one more venue for you to sell or buy through is only one more positive.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2012, 10:16:50 PM »
You guys who don't have your own auctions who are picking these new auctions apart remind me of the guys in Grease:

HEY, WHAT DO YOU DRIVE, HUH?
I DRIVE.
YEAH? HOW ABOUT YOU?
WHO, ME?
YEAH.
WHAT ABOUT DOODY?
I...I...
THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.NOW, COME ON, GUYS.THIS CAR COULD BE A MAJOR PIECE OF MACHINERY.
AND LOOK AT THIS.THIS CAR COULD BE SYSTEMATIC."HYDROMATIC" "ULTRAMATIC" "WHOO" "WHY, IT COULD BE GREASED LIGHTNIN'"

Bruce

Well put.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The only thing I could see MPE having an advantage over other sites is for high end stuff.  Like I was thinking I could list my Frankenstien or Ghost Breakers for some Metropolis or Cinemasterpiece price and if someone bites, then WTH it's only 10% and shipping; that is nothing if you can score 1K for something...Hell eBay charges 8.5% and with 3% from paypal you are all ready over 10%...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »
do you think maybe nothing has sold yet in the 36 hours the site has been up maybe???

wynk

Yeah, yeah I thought of that but it was still not displaying correctly
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #131 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
Congratulations on your first sale!

http://www.movieposterexchange.com/sold_item.php

You should frame it on the wall of your exchange, like the first dollar bill in a restaurant.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #132 on: February 29, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »
Damn.  I was hoping it was one of mine  ;D

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #133 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »
Congratulations on your first sale!

You should frame it on the wall of your exchange, like the first dollar bill in a restaurant.

Bruce

Not sure if the new owner will appreciate his new purchase going up on their wall.  :P

However, +1 on the congrats for the first sale.
David

Bruce

« Reply #134 on: February 29, 2012, 04:26:04 PM »
D'oh! Well they should buy it back and frame it, and that way they would double their sales total at the same time.

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #135 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
Great card for a first sale!
Congrats Sean and Pete!

Charlie

« Reply #136 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
Well put.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The only thing I could see MPE having an advantage over other sites is for high end stuff.  Like I was thinking I could list my Frankenstien or Ghost Breakers for some Metropolis or Cinemasterpiece price and if someone bites, then WTH it's only 10% and shipping; that is nothing if you can score 1K for something...Hell eBay charges 8.5% and with 3% from paypal you are all ready over 10%...

So my Mondo Frank is pending on MPE...  There are only 3 left on the eBay so I don't think $1250 will be off the mark too soon.  Need a deep pocket to find the site...  Wonder if Bruce auctioned it, would it get that high?

Charlie

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Hi Charlie,
I don't have time this second, but promise I will write this up later in great detail (going through different price points and options) - most likely in a new thread so we can have all the "how do I sell" type posts in one area.

I am finally reading the FAQs and just saw this:

On items that the seller lists themselves for a fixed price, the commission is always 10%*. Commission on auction items is also always 10% (whether you list your item or MPE does). If you use MPE’s value-added service (where you send the items to MPE and we list and sell them for you, see below) the rate is an industry low 20%.

* 3% Merchant fee will be added if buyer pays via credit card or paypal. Please note MoviePosterExchange will apply a $5 service charge for listings that are valued or sell for $50 or less.

Wonder what percent of $50 is $5?  ;)  so unless you want to sell stuff over $50 your fees go up exponentially as the price of the items drops...plus 10% and 3% so your fees for a $50 item is 23%.  For a $15 item your fee is 46%.. plus I have to take the photo and list it...

I keep seeing the need for a better way for you guys to sell cheaper posters...

Quick we need to send him all our sub $50 posters before he realizes there is no asterisk on the value added service.  ;)  And a double asterisk is missing on both if the $5 fee applies to both services...

Ok I just read the next one; you can't send stuff unless it's worth $100...  I knew all this seemed too good to be true...  Then there is the whole middle man thing too.  Guess only high dollar stuff at Sean's place.  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:08:56 PM by Charlie »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
Well if you're a seller that may be a downside.  As a buyer I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.  The website is leaps and bounds more appealing and user friendly than any of the other auction sites out there, really looking forward to seeing the selection of stuff they start getting in the future.  Hopefully allowing sellers to do their own listings for auctions will bring in some more international stuff that I've been looking for.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
I buy lower dollar collections, please send this way  :)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to give two big thumbs up to Movie Poster Exchange.  Received my first auction purchase from them today. Paid on Monday got it three days later.  They keep this up and Bruce might not be so happy about the extra competition after all!  Packing was nice too, it wasn't gorilla proof like Bruce's but the post office would have to intentionally break it over their knee to damage it.  So A+ experience for me.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to give two big thumbs up to Movie Poster Exchange.  Received my first auction purchase from them today. Paid on Monday got it three days later.  They keep this up and Bruce might not be so happy about the extra competition after all!  Packing was nice too, it wasn't gorilla proof like Bruce's but the post office would have to intentionally break it over their knee to damage it.  So A+ experience for me.

Good to know.  Although I imagine a normal (i.e. non-auction) purchase would take longer since it needs to be shipped to MPE by the seller, checked and then shipped on to the buyer.
Chris