Author Topic: Westerns  (Read 59207 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Westerns
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »
I thought this would be a good time to update my screen shot especially since my original got shrunk somehow.

Charlie

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
Check out that Tombstone Quad; never seen that one before....  thumbup

ozcinemagic

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Calamity Jane - 1st lesbian themed film???

Few nice lithos.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »
theres a 2nd full colour daybill for THE BRAVE ONE, similar but different art.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

ozcinemagic

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »
theres a 2nd full colour daybill for THE BRAVE ONE, similar but different art.

There's this one with different art. Not sure if it's later release. Still Cinemascope.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAVE-ONE-original-STUNNING-STONE-LITHO-ART-/330664249485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd20088d

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »
yeah thats it, I had multiples of both versions (all unused) from the same bulk buy years ago. The 2nd doesn't have RKO
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

ozcinemagic

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
yeah thats it, I had multiples of both versions (all unused) from the same bulk buy years ago. The 2nd doesn't have RKO

It's funny how some titles turn up in quantity unused. Day Earth Stood Still R70s is like that. Nearly all you see are unused / mint.

Repto

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
I am trying hard to build up my Westerns, it’s odd that for a genre that is uniquely and authentically American it no longer has the cultural presence it once did. Although I suppose you could make the same argument for the decline in WW II films for us Brits. Maybe the stories have just been told too often. Anyway, let’s start my magnificent 7 with The Duke tenderizing his favorite leading lady’s saddle…

Following with the anti-Duke revisionism/reality

If Italian Westerns are Spaghetti, what are French ones? Baguettie Westerns?

The classics, bad guys in black hats, noble savages and saloon girls

Did somebody say Saloon girls?

Hard to argue with Audie Murphy’s credentials as a real life hero

…and back to you John, how’s your bum feeling Maureen?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
…and back to you John, how’s your bum feeling Maureen?

Smart-ass...

Love those quads, Repto.
More, more, more, please.
 cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »
Jollyfine collection of Quads, there's some first rate western posters, but they go for peanuts as no one wants them. Such a shame....

That said someone always out bids me on that McLintock.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »

Gotta get me the quad on this 'un.
Very nice.
I love all that blue sky...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
Hey, your right Ted, the sky is Blue on that poster, never noticed that before.... ;)

Repto

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
Not sure about peanuts but you’re right, they are cheaper. I have been priced out of the Hammer’s, the Carry On’s/Confessions/Adventures and it doesn’t seem to matter how obscure or crap the film was, some posters just go for a fortune. It took me forever getting outbid on The Land That Time Forgot, I remember seeing that film when it came out and it was rubbish even as a teenager, you could see the crane swinging the fiberglass pterodactyl about. I understand that the art on Land is entirely collectable, I love it, but that isn’t true of other posters like the one for The Monster Club. Once again, rubbish film, the art’s not even that interesting, but I was a huge R Chetwynd-Hayes reader in my youth so I wanted it…but why would anyone else? Cost me a fortune after years of being outbid…

So why are westerns so (relatively) cheap? Famous films, iconic actors, beautiful artwork – the panoramas lend themselves particularly well to Quads – and as I mentioned before, a uniquely and genuine American cultural phenomenon. The Spaghetti Westerns tend to go for high prices, which seems a little ironic. Peplums and Westerns are my top targets now – so please everyone else, stop buying them 

Sometimes this hobby makes no sense at all!

Anyway, Return of The Magnificent Seven…I don’t have many left to show off after this.

Did somebody mention Spaghetti?

I just can’t resist a Raquel poster, even if they never seem to make the best use of her (except Hammer)

I am also quite a big fan of the 50’s nosecone bra in art

Panorama’s were made for quads…

Love this one, Eric Sykes with a steampunk sniper rifle, Honor Blackman with her mouth full and Bardot pouting

How to pick up girls, Western style

…and once again, back to John. although sadly lacking Maureen’s bum this time…

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
Steady on Mark, There's a few of us old timers who like Land that time forgot, and Monster club. I know they were No budget and that's what makes them great.
I always liked Doug, and Submarines as well, and Dinosaurs, Man what a picture.... ;)

How couldn't you like Monster Club, anything with Vincent Price is a must, but it also had John Carradine, Donald, Britt, in fact a jollyfine cast (and some jollyfine songs)....

Yes, I know we all like different things, I love these cheap pictures, but there's quite a few others who do also hence part of the reason for the prices.

Anyhoo back to Westerns, I mean Peanuts in comparison to Hammers etc  It's another nice selection you've posted... thumbup 
Do you have any 50's western Quads, as there's some excellent artwork on them....

Repto

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
...There's a few of us old timers who like Land that time forgot, and Monster club...

Ha ha! yes, I think a lot of it is probably to do with expectation...Land was exactly the kind of film I loved, in the tradition of Journey To The Center of Earth, that's why it was such a disappointment. There were certainly good points, Penhaligon owned a couple of them (Dana Gillespie too in the sequel), but I just expected so much more than fiberglass dinosaurs…but the poster is brilliant. Same with Monster Club, I read everything Chetwynd-Hayes wrote, I loved From Beyond the Grave (which is crap poster, great film IMHO), the concept of Ronald Chetwynd-Hayes in his own film, Vincent Price too, I had very high hopes…but, they went with cheap masks and couldn’t decide if they were making a horror film or a teenage pop video. There were great bits, Price, The Humgou and the Stripper, but they missed an opportunity to make a much better film using actors, stories and ideas that I was a big fan of. Fans will hate you the most when you let them down...but I'm over it now. A bit. Bloody BA Robertson? I ask you...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
Talk about let down, and a total waste of Talent, but a fantastic poster.........House of long shadows......Shudders..

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
Always wanted one of these and had a sort of credit to blow. Its backed but its still cute. Will get it framed for sure.

Matt

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »
Great image of Bronson blowing the three dusters away. clap

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2012, 07:41:45 PM »
Great image of Bronson blowing the three dusters away. clap

Happy to join the OUATITW club...Working on getting the frame. Must grace a wall soon!

Through the Stones

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »
Anyone collect any old Gower Street stuff from the 30's?  I'd love to see any images from Gene Autry's The Phantom Empire - Western, musical, sci-fi-fantasy...

We are going to be launching a new documentary type show about the Gower street era here at Starz so Harry Cary Sr., Gene Autry, The three Mesquiters, Randolph Scott, to name a few so if anyone's got art, I'd love to see it!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
Yes I am bored. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JnIllqzc95g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JnIllqzc95g</a>

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2013, 02:54:29 AM »
Yes I am bored. 

Very good. Nice music and selection of posters. Are they all yours? Theres a lot of Westerns there.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
Dig it, Z.   clap clap clap clap

Mirosae

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
Great posters Z.  I am an old westerns fan. That said, I always liked the image of Unforbriden. It is a pic, but it is quite stunning. iS IT YOURS? Congrants ;) ;) :)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

Yeah they are mine. I did cheat a little bit though as the 3 Japanese trilogy posters are a program and 2 press posters.

I do like playing with my movie paper.  :D