Author Topic: Recalled movie posters  (Read 74953 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Re: Recalled movie posters
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
Fantastic subject Mel! Just a side note, you might want to put the description text on your recalled posters page below the pictures. I found the page a little hard to read the current way (other than that, it's awesome!).

I believe this poster was supposedly recalled because the image frightened the kiddies:

Harry and the Hendersons:

This poster was supposedly recalled because it showed to much junk:

Maniac
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:17:46 PM by Chop-Top »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »
Fantastic subject Mel! Just a side note, you might want to put the description text on your recalled posters page below the pictures. I found the page a little hard to read the current way (other than that, it's awesome!).

OK thanks, I tried to space out the site to make it more readable.

Added:

Harry and the Hendersons
Saw III
Wizards
Little Mermaid
Friday Part 8
Spiderman 1986

Currently have 37 recalled posters.  I'm assuming some of these were not technically recalled but were replaced ahead of schedule.  But the stories are interesting anyway, which is the main point.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:50:38 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »
Added:
Harry and the Hendersons

I don't believe this poster was ever recalled.
It is the one used throughout the film's release.
There was an alternate style for the international market, but the closeup was the American.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
OK thanks, I tried to space out the site to make it more readable.

Added:

Harry and the Hendersons
Saw III
Wizards
Little Mermaid
Friday Part 8
Spiderman 1986

Currently have 37 recalled posters.  I'm assuming some of these were not technically recalled but were replaced ahead of schedule.  But the stories are interesting anyway, which is the main point.

Much better Mel! Now the text is clear which picture it goes with. Before it appeared that the text below was for the picture above, and visa versa. Looks great now!

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
Recalled movie posters
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 05:06:59 AM »
Wasn't this one recalled? Harrison Ford objected to being "wanted for murder" rather than his screen character, Dr Richard Kimble.

Mark

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 10:17:20 AM »
Need I say more?

I'm sorry, you might have to say more...??

What am I looking at?

As for other recalled posters - the foil effect Tomorrow Never Dies advance one sheet.  Apparently the foil caught fire in the lightboxes.  Discussed elsewhere on these boards.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »
I'm sorry, you might have to say more...??

What am I looking at?

As for other recalled posters - the foil effect Tomorrow Never Dies advance one sheet.  Apparently the foil caught fire in the lightboxes.  Discussed elsewhere on these boards.

The towers resemble male genetalia.

However, I thought that whole stinko mess erupted during the video release.  I have a laserdisc with the penis towers on the cover art.  My recollection was that Disney had to recall a ton of videocasettes and re-sleeve them.

Doesn't make sense that this would have happened after recalling the theatrical poster for the same thing.
http://snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.asp
http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disney/Mermaid.html

I agree there was a fuss, but I dfon't believe the theatrical poster was ever recalled.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:38:54 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
Wasn't this one recalled? Harrison Ford objected to being "wanted for murder" rather than his screen character, Dr Richard Kimble.

Mark

Good one Mark!  First time I've seen that one.  What a huge f-up too.  I'd be pissed too if I were Harrison Ford.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:00:19 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »
Ah, ok.

Cheers Jay.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
The towers resemble male genetalia.

However, I thought that whole stinko mess erupted during the video release.  I have a laserdisc with the penis towers on the cover art.  My recollection was that Disney had to recall a ton of videocasettes and re-sleeve them.

Doesn't make sense that this would have happened after recalling the theatrical poster for the same thing.
http://snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.asp
http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disney/Mermaid.html

I agree there was a fuss, but I dfon't believe the theatrical poster was ever recalled.

This is spot on.  And, it's all about the oddly placed, oddly highlighted, and particularly phallic small tower in the middle.

Not a recalled poster, as such.

Also, I believe that Fugitive was a wilding release, unless someone, somewhere has a double sided copy.  All the ones that I've come across were single-sided.

raulleaf

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
Cataloging my rolled stuff and ran across two DS copies of Version A of The Thin Red Line (TRL) versus Version B.  Ted pointed out that Version A was perhaps a recalled poster:

Hey, Charlie, per Phil Edwards, one of the poster gurus at Ari's NSFGE,

"Yes, we have one of the recalled one sheets of THIN RED LINE that has Travolta's name on it. At the time I heard it was upon Travolta's request due to a fear of over-exposure with other films coming out around the time of TTRL, and his desire that he not be seen as a star of a film in which he has a relatively small role.

Certainly in Australia, the version shown still had Travolta's brief scene intact."

Here is the link to the entire thread: http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/2597

These came from an American theater. They were in the tube with the film title on the label as shipped to a Lowes theater. Recalled?

Full APF Thread: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2618.0.html

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
This thread is a minefield of uncertainty! I have found The Fugitive poster to be described as both a recalled Advance (All Movie Replicas) and an International (Cinemasterpieces). My one sheet is single sided but I also have it in quad format. At one time it seemed to be "unicorn rare" - I remember years ago Dan R doubting that it even existed in one sheet format until I told him about my copy -but it is not that difficult to find these days.

Mark

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 10:16:39 PM »
This thread is a minefield of uncertainty! I have found The Fugitive poster to be described as both a recalled Advance (All Movie Replicas) and an International (Cinemasterpieces). My one sheet is single sided but I also have it in quad format. At one time it seemed to be "unicorn rare" - I remember years ago Dan R doubting that it even existed in one sheet format until I told him about my copy -but it is not that difficult to find these days.

Mark

There's definitely a lot going on in this subject.  It would be nice to see combined talent settle some of these doubts.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

raulleaf

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
Found this Japanese B1...  Maybe it was meant for international use....

raulleaf

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
French 1p of the same design that Bruce sold...

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/16114504.html

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Best of the lot IMHOP

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »
Wow, REVENGE OF FRANK...whatta poster!  thumbup

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 07:04:28 AM »
Recalled:

A View To A Kill UK One Sheet

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

agentprovocateur

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
I just found a PDF I saved of an ebay auction that ended on 10 April 2007 for the recalled Rodriguez/Tarantino 'Grindhouse' double sided 1sheet... it went for $405 (£204.25, now that's an exchange rate I'd like now!).

This is the explanation the seller gave for the poster:

'This is a RARE and SCARCE 1-sheet for the upcoming Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) & Robert Rodriguez (Sin City) film, Grindhouse, which stars Bruce Willis, Rose McGowan, Marley Shelton, Rosario Dawson, and Kurt Russell.

PLEASE NOTE: This poster is a very scarce variant version, which differs from the final release version. This version was pulled by the studio, ordered returned or destroyed. This recalled version says "2 1/2 hours of pure dynamite!" Instead of "Two great movies for the price of one!" on the final release poster. I believe they pulled the poster because the movie now clocks in at over three hours, so it’s a little less accurate. Please refer to the image in the listing, and compare it to the other Grindhouse posters listed.

This poster is very hard to find, and has some slight edge wear along the upper right side (from when it was originally shipped) . It is in nice NM condition otherwise. This doublesided one-sheet poster is 27 X 41 and in excellent condition. No tape marks or pinholes whatsoever. If you have any questions about this poster, please e-mail me.

This is a studio-issued poster, the real deal, not a copy or reproduction.'

The seller was located in Berkeley, CA, United States.

I know there was a thread where this was discussed in-depth but I couldn't find it so thought this would be as good a place as any to post!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 09:53:38 PM »
Here's a new one.  This advance Rocky IV 1S was recalled because the Soviet symbol was upside down. (Stallone had an impressive bod on this one too - too bad it was all HGH.)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »
The studio recalled this poster after NYC claimed that the poster infringed its "I love NY" trademark:

Tons of these are out there, I know a guy who probably has three sealed rolls (150) of this stock.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
Not exactly recalled, but the Final Destination 5 poster has been banned in the UK even though it has been and gone months ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16065584

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »

Mark

Good subject...

That's interesting on The Fugitive, according to http://www.allmoviereplicas.com/The-Fugitive-Single-Sided-Sheet-Movie-PosterRecalled-Advance.html "...Ninety-nine percent of these erroneous posters were destroyed and very few have survived. The studios did not create an advance replacement version making this poster a very rare must-have collectible...." Dunno how true that statement is.

Still, if it is then what great news - because I have two of them! ;D

Also...

I have this Batman Returns, which was apparently recalled because DC comics didn't like the design

David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
So I was the only bidder on this one....

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
So I was the only bidder on this one....

Did you win?  :D
David