Author Topic: Martin Ansin  (Read 41001 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Martin Ansin
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »
Of all the artists to do these types of prints, I think he is by far the most talented, and if any were to retain or increase in value, I would expect them to be his prints.

I don't get the STOUT love, but it is all in the eye of the beholder I guess. 

Couldn't have said it better. 
cheers

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
I don't get the STOUT love, but it is all in the eye of the beholder I guess. 

Yep, just like any other subsection of this hobby.

I personally do not get the appeal to all things daybills, even though I own a small stack.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
Yeah, daybills suck.  I agree you should stay away from them :D
Ves

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
I will, but its nice to have something other than newspaper to wrap fish in. ;)

I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:42 AM »
nah the ink is toxic, send them here and I will dispose of them safely FREE OF CHARGE.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »
So the variant sold for 1.2k last week... and now the regular sells for the same price.

I am feeling really good about my prints collection.  If only I sold...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »
Amazing.  There are none for sale on Expresso and there are kids who are willing to pay $1,000 cash.  I traded mine a few months ago for "Lost: The Crash" (Eric Tan), which is cool but is rapidly losing value.

So is Martin's version in the same league as the originals?  

Pressbook image from EMP (I believe only the D and E one sheets have been found):

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:20:48 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 09:41:51 AM »
What's his medium?  It looks all digital...

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »

So is Martin's version in the same league as the originals?  

HUH?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »
The final price was almost double the highest amount a regular Bride has gone for thus far.

Man, these silk-screened beanie babies keep going up and up...they have to bottom out sometime...right? RIGHT?!?

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
I don't know.  Seems more and more people are joining the fray.  Some of these people look back at what they missed since 2008 and raise the prices of specific pieces.  A lot will never take off.  It all depends on the title, really.  Obvious, Akira, Bride, Thing, Phantom, Robocop, etc... have all become classics in their respective genres.  They have defied time, and new fans are born every day.  I don't see them ever coming down.  Plateauing at some point, but not coming down.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
I don't see them ever coming down.  Plateauing at some point, but not coming down.

T
An uneducated agreement. Even if the bottom falls out of the market for these,they where so cheap to begin with that Inflation alone IMO would at least get you your money back if you chose to sell..

Stew

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »
I don't know.  Seems more and more people are joining the fray.  Some of these people look back at what they missed since 2008 and raise the prices of specific pieces.  A lot will never take off.  It all depends on the title, really.  Obvious, Akira, Bride, Thing, Phantom, Robocop, etc... have all become classics in their respective genres.  They have defied time, and new fans are born every day.  I don't see them ever coming down.  Plateauing at some point, but not coming down.

T

I'm tipping the majority of people who own a Bride of Frank print, haven't seen the movie.
Ves

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 02:14:44 AM »
I'm tipping the majority of people who own a Bride of Frank print, haven't seen the movie.

Agreed.
An Error Has Occurred!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »

But it is iconic.  Frankenstein, Dracula, King Kong... everybody knows about them.  You do not need to see the movies to become a fan in your 20s.  You can also read Mary Shelley, or Bram Stoker and become a fan.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
But it is iconic.  Frankenstein, Dracula, King Kong... everybody knows about them.  You do not need to see the movies to become a fan in your 20s.  You can also read Mary Shelley, or Bram Stoker and become a fan.

T

Yep. Universal horror transcends the medium and its subjects are MUCH bigger than the movies they are in.

I haven't seen a substantial amount of the films that I have posters for, and I am ok with that.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 11:29:35 AM »
FYI: I keep getting emails asking me if Martin has any more of his old prints for sell.  He does not.  The prints I helped him sell a couple years ago were all sold a couple years ago.  Sorry folks.

T
My Personal Collection

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »

T

I'm tipping they haven't read the books either.

I think I get what you are saying, but in my opinion it comes down to the fact that Ansin is a great talent, and this subject matter lends well to his style.
I think most people could care less that they own a Bride of Frankenstein print or a Phantom of the Opera print.  It's the fact that the prints are real stunners, and if you have to have a Mondo print, why not get some of the best...in my opinion of course.

No I take that back, I reckon he could make just about anything look great.

Ves

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
I'm tipping they haven't read the books either.

I think I get what you are saying, but in my opinion it comes down to the fact that Ansin is a great talent, and this subject matter lends well to his style.
I think most people could care less that they own a Bride of Frankenstein print or a Phantom of the Opera print.  It's the fact that the prints are real stunners, and if you have to have a Mondo print, why not get some of the best...in my opinion of course.

No I take that back, I reckon he could make just about anything look great.

Maybe he should give Metropolis a try...

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 10:07:59 PM »
Maybe he should give Metropolis a try...

Maybe :P
Ves

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 12:47:49 AM »
he should just be done with it and do a INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME CRAZY MIXED UP ZOMBIES. Just sayin'
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
I was looking around for Ghost in the Shell prints and saw this one.

From the website: http://martinansin.com/index.php?/editorialads/ghost-in-the-shell/ 

Screen printed poster for Mamoru Oshii's seminal 1995 sci-fi anime.
A variant printed on iridescent foil was sold with the ticket purchase to the Ghost in the Shell
25th Anniversary screening during MondoCon 1.

Here's the variant:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vz6mB5oZBuc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Vz6mB5oZBuc</a>
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:47:19 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »
The latest offering from Martin Ansin, for Spider-Man Homecoming:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:25:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
I think it's awful.  I used to love Martin's work, heck, I even helped him sell some of his stuff and got him a signed Stout he really wanted.  But he lost me when he added all these parallel lines to his artwork, and this is another example of that. 

Such a far cry from his gorgeous Phantom of the Opera.  His masterpiece for sure that now seems like it was done by another artist.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2017, 02:41:35 PM »
I always thought his Phantom was such an amazing poster, too. Plus, I've loved the Chaney version of the film since I was a kid.

I should have tried to grab one when it was first released. I'm assuming the price for that poster is now thru the moon?

-Jeff