Author Topic: Re: Mid-auction analysis COMPLETELY INSANE OFF-TOPIC TRAIN WRECK  (Read 52391 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis COMPLETELY FUCKING INSANE OFF-TOPIC TRAIN WRECK
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 05:28:22 PM »

As for the poster?
Doesn't do a thing for me...
Overrated, over-priced, unattractive and not 'rare.'

Same here, Ted. It never did a thing for me, either.

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »
has anyone on the message boards ever made a list or tried to make a complete list of all recalled posters? or at least all the popular ones that collectors talk about?

not sure if all these fit the true definition of recalled, but from the top of my head:

spiderman twin towers
dark knight why so serious
pulp fiction
usual suspects
madonna dick tracy
esb-gwtw

what else?

Really, Dave?  Maybe you should bone up at MPA or with this entertaining thread on NSFGE: http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/4441/Dark-Knight-recalled-according--MPF---according--Theatres?page=1

(Come for the nifty picture of Thierry, stay for multiple defensive posts about MPF from our APF overlords...  :P )

BTW, Dave don't you think that $750 for a UK Reservoir Dogs reprint is a little much, even for you?

See this excerpt from the Newbie Lookin' for a Poster thread if you don't know what I mean...

BTW, here's a prime example of a normally solid, if overly flamboyant, dealer who is mistakenly sellling a reproduction as an original...

Here's the auction listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RESERVOIR-DOGS-MR-BLONDE-ORIG-BRITISH-MOVIE-POSTER-/180634808376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0eac7038

Here's the thread on NSFGE that gives the correct info (most of it is about Pulp Fiction, but it also covers these Reservoir Dogs UK posters):

http://stylec.yuku.com/reply/102319/Real-Fake-or-Real-Fake-Bruce-Posteritati#reply-102319

You'll also note that in the thread Bruce, as usual in these situations, did the right thing.  Posteritati no longer shows the Sam Jackson mock poster for sale.  Hopefully, they pulled it and didn't sell it as an original.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 01:00:39 AM »
Hey Arch,

So IS that Reservoir Dogs poster that has been on ebay, and listed by CM, since April, the real deal or not? Was there ever an iron clad answer stated?   :-\

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 02:28:01 AM »
Yes.  It's a reprint.  It's the reprinteriest reprint of reprints. 

There are no doubts.  The iron clad answer is in the NSFGE thread, but this was just confirmation of information available at the time these were printed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 02:58:33 AM »
Yes.  It's a reprint.  It's the reprinteriest reprint of reprints.  

There are no doubts.  The iron clad answer is in the NSFGE thread, but this was just confirmation of information available at the time these were printed.

Then the real question, then, is, why has it remained listed on ebay all these months, described as the genuine article? The price seems high, reprint or not, IMO.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:34:37 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »

Thanks, Archie. Then the real question, then, is, why has it remained listed on ebay all these months, described as the genuine article?

Seems pretty obvious.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »
you guys crack me up.

I've never even read that "Newbie Lookin' for a Poster thread" until just now.

and come on....erik1925 Jeff Potokar and Zorba.....do you really just assume that we read every single topic on all the message boards?

maybe if one of you would have emailed us directly we would have known about it.

I'll do some research on my own and of course, if it really is a repro I'll take it down.

by the way.....is it advertised for sale by anyone as a repro ANYWHERE on the internet??? If it is, please show me. For me that would be enough evidence to take it down.

we bought it from Heritage........I'm sure they are unaware that someone on the message boards is claiming it is a repro. Or, maybe there just isn't any SOLID evidence.

If someone can show us some solid evidence that it is definitely a repro, we will gladly remove or re describe the listing.

and by the way.......solid evidence does not consist of some anonymous guy on a message board simply saying it is a repro.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:39:57 PM by CineMasterpieces »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
and by the way.......solid evidence does not consist of some anonymous guy on a message board simply saying it is a repro.

yeah, we went over that one in the political forum

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 02:01:37 AM »

what "political" forum? where?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 04:20:16 AM »
what "political" forum? where?

here on APF

it's the last forum on the main page

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 07:08:39 AM »
you guys crack me up.

and come on....do you really just assume that we read every single topic on all the message boards?

Which is why I mentioned it here.

I'll do some research on my own and of course, if it really is a repro I'll take it down.

by the way.....is it advertised for sale by anyone as a repro ANYWHERE on the internet??? If it is, please show me. For me that would be enough evidence to take it down.

we bought it from Heritage........I'm sure they are unaware that someone on the message boards is claiming it is a repro. Or, maybe there just isn't any SOLID evidence.

If someone can show us some solid evidence that it is definitely a repro, we will gladly remove or re describe the listing.

No shit, but it takes on significant credence when it backs up the previously known information.  It's also very rich, considering where some of the 'information' that you pass off in your descriptions comes from.

When I started that NSFGE thread, I had few, if any, doubts, but wrote it questioningly on the extreme off chance that I was incorrect.  I was told at the time of release by two different poster dealers about these reprints (one in Seattle, one in Boston).  55x39 UK reprints of original UK 40x60's were standard in every mom & pop record store in the country at the time (this was confirmed by multiple record store employees).   99% of the time they reprinted music related items, but Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and apparently Romeo & Juliet had some crossover appeal. 

Hence, Anthony's (who worked in an independent record store) surprise in the NSFGE thread that there were originals, since all he'd ever seen were the same UK reprints.  They were on dorm walls everywhere at a time when an original one sheet of any kind was a rarity.  I bought my Mr. Blonde reprint from a Virgin Records MegaStore in London, before hopping a flight home early in '94.  It is identical to the one you are auctioning.

They were all over eBay for years.  I gave up looking for a real one, after looking through hundreds upon hundred of reprint 39x55 auctions only to find a single real poster, which I promply forgot to bid on (sold for $9.99 in the mid '00s)

As for the rest of it, yeah, do you own damn homework.  I think that us former MPT'ers did more than our share to build your business as it is.  Geez, you really have to go a loooooong way to try and duck this one...

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »

Thank you my dear archie, we have changed the description on ebay, we will do the same at cinemasterpieces.com shortly.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
For the interest in the conversation, here is the modified description Dave refers to:

This is a 39.5" x 55" U.K. British Subway sized movie poster. We have been told by a very grouchy collector named archie leach that it is not an original poster meant for use in advertising the film, but it was actually sold commercially in record stores in the U.K. back in the 1990's.

Dave, why do you list it as 'subway' sized?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »

just using it as a descriptive term. Weren't the 40x60's over there meant for their subway system? maybe I'll change it again.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »

ok, amended.

This is a 39.5" x 55" U.K. British poster. We have been told by a very grouchy collector named archie leach that it is not an original poster meant for use in advertising the film, but it was actually sold commercially in record stores in the U.K. back in the 1990's.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »
You jest not!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

just having a bit of fun  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
So if this IS a later commercial reprint, would this poster ever be priced (or valued) at $795.00?

Maybe the decimal point needs to be shifted to the left by one?    :-\

-Jeff

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »

yes, when someone buys it from us at that price it will be valued at $795.00.

Haven't you learned anything after all this time?  eyeroll

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
So if this IS a later commercial reprint, would this poster ever be priced (or valued) at $795.00?

Maybe the decimal point needs to be shifted to the left by one?    :-\

And you'll be selling that Empire Strikes Back Australian poster that you bought for $10 for how much?  I bet you sell that for at least $300.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
And you'll be selling that Empire Strikes Back Australian poster that you bought for $10 for how much?  I bet you sell that for at least $300.

There is difference between the two examples. It has been stated tha the RD poster is a commercial reprint. Maybe because you buy so much of that kind of material you aren't aware, but reprints or commercial posters are worth considerably less than originals.

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
There is difference between the two examples. It has been stated tha the RD poster is a commercial reprint. Maybe because you buy so much of that kind of material you aren't aware, but reprints or commercial posters are worth considerably less than originals.

You evaded the issue with a personal attack, as usual.  You and Archie are chastising Dave for "ripping off" his customers yet you have done and will do the same thing.  You "ripped off" the seller of that ESB when you bought it for $10 by failing to advise him/her that it was worth $300.  You will not hesitate one second to sell it for an enormous profit.  Dave has now fully and fairly disclosed that this is a commercial poster.  That it his only obligation. He has no obligation to advise his customers that this poster can be purchased elsewhere for much less. If somebody buys it for $795, then that's just capitalism.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
You evaded the issue with a personal attack, as usual.  You and Archie are chastising Dave for "ripping off" his customers yet you have done and will do the same thing.  You "ripped off" the seller of that ESB when you bought it for $10 by failing to advise him/her that it was worth $300.  You will not hesitate one second to sell it for an enormous profit.  Dave has now fully and fairly disclosed that this is a commercial poster.  That it his only obligation. He has no obligation to advise his customers that this poster can be purchased elsewhere for much less. If somebody buys it for $795, then that's just capitalism.

There was no evasion. First, I wont sell the poster. Second, it was listed for that price and was purchased. I ripped off no one, so once again, you are in the wrong. People purchase at flea markets, garage sales and the like, and come away with amazing deals, all the time. You have also bought posters online, bragging on APF about the great deal you got, followed by a recent comp sales/auction price from emovie or Heritage. Tell me, did you inform those sellers that their price was TOO low, prior to you bidding or buying? Not a chance.

So your accusation above is nothing short of hypocritical.

And yes, CM did finally disclose. No one said he didnt.

If you had come across the Aussie ESB poster, in the same fashion, you would have scooped it up, followed with more shouting from the rooftops, here on APF, about your great find.

Methinks your skirts of jealousy are showing. It's time to adjust.

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
This is a 39.5" x 55" U.K. British poster. We have been told by a very grouchy occasionally pedantic collector named archie leach that it is not an original poster meant for use in advertising the film, but it was actually sold commercially in record stores in the U.K. and U.S. back in the 1990's.

FTFY

I did no such thing.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 05:47:07 PM »

No. Not true.

I have a habit of looking to see who is on in the users online section at the bottom of the page when I come here and I saw you readiing it multiple times the days after archie posted. I in fact posted that fact in that thread back then.

Its been a few days and I have seen him reading this thread at least twice...

Is he still unaware?   laugh1

Or maybe the poster isnt a fake?.... I would really love to know.