Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2790726 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10650 on: April 29, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »
knowledgeable sellers are able to assess authenticity and provenance beyond a reasonable doubt

That, I cannot agree with, simply because I know how easy it is to reciprocate someone's signature.  It's like all these signed actors pictures from the golden era, be it Cary Grant or Katharine Hepburn...  It's a known fact that actors didn't have the time to sign hundreds of autographs, nor did they care doing so, so they had their assistants (or fan club reps) sign headshots for them.  I see them all over the place now, I see them at knowledgeable sellers' auctions with CoAs, and I know they are not authentic.   Yet people spend so much money on them.  I mean, more power to the dealers, good for them, but I cant help shaking my head every single time. 

Sadly, the ONLY autographs I trust are the ones with the signee's name on it, and the reason I would never touch them is bc they were not signed to me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10651 on: April 30, 2021, 03:57:13 AM »
..... how easy it is to reciprocate someone's signature.  .....
T

Replicate?

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #10652 on: April 30, 2021, 05:48:04 AM »
Its legit , ive dealt with autographs since '99

Theres lots of legit autographs out there but it requires research , ive gotten some fantastic gems : Elvis , de Niro resume , Streep sgd magazine , several Streisands (photo , note , cur from HD set , LP) , Connery , Moore (ttm & 2 posters thru Bondstars) , Stallone sgd Rocky poster (from NYCC '12) , several Walkens (resume , cut , VHS sleeve) , Robert Shaw , dir Cimino , Cazale cut , Ledger cut , Jaws novel (by trio , from MV set)

Some big (retired) stars like Welch , Fonda , Loren still do ttm......but of course if you write to Nicholson , Scar Jo or Portman of course its gonna be a waste of time as they do not respond ttm. Youd think Walken would rerspond now but still impossible ttm

Theres also a list of ebay forgers out there besides those i would not buy from Hollywood Show (ebay store/website) , Piece of the Past (notorious forger) , Coaches Corner (ditto) , outlaw hobbies (theyre on RACC recommended but "autograph guru" Bendu thinks theyre dubious)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:12:02 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

• Hoarder
« Reply #10653 on: April 30, 2021, 05:58:10 AM »
"It's a known fact that actors didn't have the time to sign hundreds of autographs, nor did they care doing so, so they had their assistants (or fan club reps) sign headshots for them" 

If were talking big names like Monroe then yeah but the smaller stars usually sgd ttm......i think even Gable sgd ttm in the beginning. Monroe and Elvis usually inscribed on the street (my Elvis is un-ins though but it has been verified)

"Sadly, the ONLY autographs I trust are the ones with the signee's name on it"

Well , i sure as hell aint gonna pay Stallone extra for that (unless he added Rocky). Why the hell would i have my own name added to movie posters , it would make it difficult to resell should i decide to quit collecting one day. I usually cut off the inscription on cards as none have my name
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:10:44 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

• Hoarder
« Reply #10654 on: April 30, 2021, 06:16:25 AM »
"I don't understand why anyone would want to pay hundreds of dollars to do that as the pleasure and memories come from meeting the celebrity"

Because theres no way otherwise to get it , they might live in a foreign country , the cost of flights....many reasons

"I agree with Thierry's 99% figure for faked signed posters"

If you consentrate on just posters then yes.....most of them are terrible forgeries and usually looks nothing like the real deal. But you can get , say , Chuck Norris at cons

"It seems to me getting a genuine signature of an A-list actor or director is a proven way of adding value to a poster, particularly a low-value one"

Of course

Its very very difficult to get a complete cast sgd poster , for example my Melrose poster only sgd by 2 (both IP at cons) and theres like 8 more to go......or with 007 were most of the cast is dead. Common sense tells you getting Avengers sgd poster is pretty much impossible (Portman non-signer cept books and Scar Jo pretty much too) but better with a few real sigs than none at all imo

You can find legit CDs sgd by J-Lo or by Swift , theyre big stars currently at least
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:27:38 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10655 on: April 30, 2021, 04:11:20 PM »
Replicate?

Hahaha... don't mock foreigners, it's not nice :)  I thought "reciprocate" added a little bit of je ne sais quoi to the conversation.  My bad.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10656 on: April 30, 2021, 11:36:17 PM »
I kind of collect auto's but in trading card form only. Now there have been autopen issues there too, but in general seems to be more on the up and up. Honestly the only place I would ever consider buying an auto.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10657 on: May 01, 2021, 03:28:55 AM »
Hahaha... don't mock foreigners, it's not nice :)  I thought "reciprocate" added a little bit of je ne sais quoi to the conversation.  My bad.

T

Oh it did, mostly the 'quoi'?

Sorry, I will stop now.  I just found it a little amusing, sorry.  No mocking intended at all, promise.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10658 on: May 11, 2021, 09:17:29 PM »
Boy there are some laughers on emovie already tonight.

People ever heard of ebay, or better yet, check previous auction prices.   

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10659 on: May 11, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »
That guy, Galaxy, does anyone know who he is?  Not a lot of brains there.  The guy refuses to be beat (or beaten?)  What he ends up paying for stuff makes zero sense whatsoever, but he does win, so good for him.  But yeah, I agree w you Dale, prices of posters confuses me these day.  I don't know if its Covid, people being cooped up for too long, Biden's stimulus, sudden nostalgia for a bygone era, all of the above? 

I mean, man, I would hate to start collecting today.  How do you build a collection with these prices?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10660 on: May 12, 2021, 12:28:30 AM »
You know, T, there was a different bidder the last couple of years that also seemed to pay higher than expected prices at auctions (that means at least one other bidder was right there with them, eh?).  I noticed at least one of those pieces showing back up at auction recently and I bought it (Bride of Frankenstein 1935 Spanish magazine) for less than half the price of what that bidder paid just a couple of years ago.  Perhaps patience and collecting longevity wins out in the end sometimes compared to the short term blips?!  Best, Okie

That guy, Galaxy, does anyone know who he is?  Not a lot of brains there.  The guy refuses to be beat (or beaten?)  What he ends up paying for stuff makes zero sense whatsoever, but he does win, so good for him.  But yeah, I agree w you Dale, prices of posters confuses me these day.  I don't know if its Covid, people being cooped up for too long, Biden's stimulus, sudden nostalgia for a bygone era, all of the above? 

I mean, man, I would hate to start collecting today.  How do you build a collection with these prices?

T

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10661 on: May 13, 2021, 08:58:09 AM »

T

I guess you start collecting milk bottle tops, and hope that in 75 years, there's a market for them following price explosions...?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10662 on: May 13, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »
Perhaps patience and collecting longevity wins out in the end sometimes compared to the short term blips?!  Best, Okie

It's mostly due to the main collectors of older/pre-war/monster/etc stuff are much older and passing away, thus the competition and thus prices are going down on some stuff. The reason 70s and 80s stuff is exploding is because the generation that grew up on that stuff now has disposable income to spend on it, and are fighting over items and thus bidding them up.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10663 on: May 13, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »
It's mostly due to the main collectors of older/pre-war/monster/etc stuff are much older and passing away, thus the competition and thus prices are going down on some stuff. The reason 70s and 80s stuff is exploding is because the generation that grew up on that stuff now has disposable income to spend on it, and are fighting over items and thus bidding them up.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.  Glad I stoked up on 80s galore early on.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10664 on: May 16, 2021, 11:09:58 PM »
Heritage is not for me anymore.  Too much money there.  I just can't follow.

:(

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10665 on: May 17, 2021, 05:40:28 AM »
I was going through Heritage site after reading some of the above. Wondering how this poster with a chunk missing is rate Very Good / Fine. Experienced collectors might expect a chunk missing with that grade (not me) but that is abusing the meaning of those words!

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/science-fiction/mothra-columbia-1962-one-sheet-27-x-41-and-lobby-cards-2-11-x-14-science-fiction-total-3-items-/a/161247-54312.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10666 on: May 17, 2021, 03:57:04 PM »
To be honest, I feel like both auction houses, Emovie and HA, have been a little lax on their grading.  It didn't use to be this way, much more thorough in the past, but if people don't mind, I don't see any reason for them to change.  Unfortunately, it sometimes takes 6 months for me to get my stuff, so I have no room to complain at this point.

The one you mentioned is definitely wrong.  This is Poor in my book.

T
My Personal Collection

• Hoarder
« Reply #10667 on: May 17, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »
It's not just posters , Masters of Universe classics figures have gone up and those just few yrs ago (not sold in stores though)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10668 on: May 19, 2021, 03:41:05 AM »

T

I have an idea, but I have been kinda detached for a bit, so I'm not completely positive.  Then again, even if I knew for sure, I would not share my thoughts.  There is at least one member who knows for sure.  Just in case the rumor mongers go bat feces, I will say unequivocally that is isn't me.  My usernames tend to be much more vulgar and/or tongue in cheek for those who follow along.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:44:52 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10669 on: May 19, 2021, 04:36:37 AM »
Not me either! I wish I had pockets that deep!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10670 on: May 20, 2021, 01:50:56 AM »
I still find pieces to collect that I think are a good price here and there.  What's happened to me as I've collected over the decades is I feel less and less like I "have" to buy a specific piece.  I think some of the reason for this is I know there's always another piece I'll like just around the corner.  Funny how that happens. Okie
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:20:54 AM by okiehawker »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10671 on: June 08, 2021, 08:42:09 PM »
I have been watching these, and smiling a little, one because I own them all (and sometimes multiples  ;D) but also and more importantly bc Poltergeist and Alien are 2 of my favs Mondo prints ever (especially Poltergeist) and I'm very happy to see them get some long overdue loving, even if it only lasts the time of one overblown sale.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10672 on: June 08, 2021, 09:07:59 PM »
I have been watching these, and smiling a little, one because I own them all (and sometimes multiples  ;D) but also and more importantly bc Poltergeist and Alien are 2 of my favs Mondo prints ever (especially Poltergeist) and I'm very happy to see them get some long overdue loving, even if it only lasts the time of one overblown sale.
T

That's an AMAZING coincidence, because I also have been watching these, and I too have been smiling a "little"! :)
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10673 on: June 08, 2021, 09:10:10 PM »
Hahah I'm sure you have :)  Good job!!!!

I remember when I started collecting those, buying 2-3 of each, and a lot of folks were laughing at this new collecting hobby (I was one of them originally).  Guess who's laughing now :)  I don't know if it will last, I think those prices are a bit ridiculous to be honest, but it comfort me to know that I was not a complete idiot.

T
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:14:48 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10674 on: June 09, 2021, 07:04:53 AM »
I'm very happy to see them get some long overdue loving, even if it only lasts the time of one overblown sale.

Yeah, some good results for the print consignors last night (not just those three either). Same with the big Alamo auction (and the last couple of Prop Store auctions).

It’d be interesting to see if the bidders are the new users from the big Alamo auction (most of which I assume were print collectors), or if traditional poster collectors are dabbling too.

And vice versa, would be interesting to see if the print collectors who registered have started bidding on original movie posters.

Just thinking aloud, not a request for info which you deem private, Bruce!

It’d also be interesting to see if Heritage see a glut of new registrations with their print auction…from what I saw in some print groups, folk were impressed with the prints on offer, but the buyer’s premium is a new thing to many of them (which they were obviously less thrilled with).