Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2823949 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10625 on: April 22, 2021, 06:42:25 PM »
$5k for a fake signature  thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Who sold this gem?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10626 on: April 22, 2021, 06:54:42 PM »
^Propstore today

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10627 on: April 22, 2021, 06:58:31 PM »
Never bought from that place and never will now.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10628 on: April 22, 2021, 07:22:23 PM »
Some good results for the consignors in that auction. I think because Prop Store have bidders with deep pockets from their big auctions and also because they market the poster auctions really well (a nice PDF catalogue that is presented well, a printed mini-catalogue that they send out, good use of social media).   

https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/276/?page=1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10629 on: April 22, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »
How is it advertised well?  I am a collector and I didn't even know it was happening.  Now granted, I would have never bid on any of this stuff because it's way beyond my means, but still, it would have been nice to know.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10630 on: April 22, 2021, 07:56:23 PM »
I received a mini catalogue through the post and I've seen it advertised a lot over Facebook (in various poster and print groups), Instagram and articles on a couple of websites I visit...so I felt like I saw a lot of marketing for it. But I take your point that if seasoned poster collectors missed it, perhaps they need to extend to other avenues like the LAMP newsletter (or here!).

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10631 on: April 22, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »
Well, I don't do the Lamp Newsletter (don't know what that is) and I shy away from poster stuff on Fb and Instagram.  The last two are only for family/friend stuff.  So I guess I can only blame myself.  I'm pretty reserved when it comes to posters outside this forum.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10632 on: April 22, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
I’ll PM you next time Propstore do a poster auction. 

LAMP newsletter - http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/lagniappe/lamppost/Newsletter.pdf

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10633 on: April 23, 2021, 04:40:26 AM »
How is it advertised well?  I am a collector and I didn't even know it was happening.  Now granted, I would have never bid on any of this stuff because it's way beyond my means, but still, it would have been nice to know.

T

Well, I guess you could sign up to newsletters and emails...

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10634 on: April 23, 2021, 07:39:26 AM »
How is it advertised well?  I am a collector and I didn't even know it was happening.

Prop Store announcing their next auction with a nice little video:

thumbup

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10635 on: April 23, 2021, 08:22:48 AM »
Haha, I forgot I posted that! ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10636 on: April 26, 2021, 03:24:39 PM »
I finally got a chance to check Prop Store's last poster auction, and it is quite something.  As it is, most of these posters can be found for half the hammer price, if not even less.  It just takes a little research, which is 90% of the fun.  I'm assuming that the final price includes their fees.

$2,500 for half a poster!!!  What's the point?

$3,500!!!!

This one I really don't get.  It shows up every week, sometimes multiple times.  At least get the No Date version.  $3,500.

$6,600????  No comment.

$1,100.

$2,000!

$1,700!!!

This is the timed version edition.  There are 1,500 of these floating around.  They never sell for more than $200.  $1,000!

$2,800!

$3,800!!!

$3,800!!!  I remember buying my set for $400 and thinking that I totally overpaid.  I got beat!!!

There are so many more.

Bonkers.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10637 on: April 26, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »
^those 'winning bid' numbers are hammer price. the idiot bidders will have 30 or 35% more to pay depending on how they bid Doh.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10638 on: April 26, 2021, 06:30:58 PM »
^those 'winning bid' numbers are hammer price. the idiot bidders will have 30 or 35% more to pay depending on how they bid Doh.gif

Are you for real?  Someone paid $3,300 for 1/2 a Jedi poster?  That's more than twice what I paid for a full one only a few years ago hahaha

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #10639 on: April 26, 2021, 10:04:30 PM »
...I WISH I had that disposable income for a single poster...but even then I don't think I'd ever give up that much on a single poster. I'm glad I'm not after some of those rarer/pricier posters myself...I personally haven't gone over $300 for a single poster, and I do have some gems in my collection.
Patience/searching is definitely key, as said above...along with that satisfaction of getting a good deal on what you want.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #10640 on: April 27, 2021, 02:02:02 PM »
it's a commercial poster but is says MARTY so lets pay 5K GBP for it!

also, am i missing something here ??? this is never first issue Polish yet somebody has paid over 1K for it

Its prolly rare for MJF to add Marty , same with Sly adding Rocky......Sly was charging 850$ recently

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #10641 on: April 28, 2021, 09:39:44 AM »
Autograph appears legit from what i can see

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10642 on: April 28, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »

^that will be £1300 please

^£800! i was prepared to pay £200 inc BP and thought that was way too much ha

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10643 on: April 29, 2021, 09:50:41 AM »
$5k for a fake signature  thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Who sold this gem?

T
How do we know its fake?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10644 on: April 29, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
How do we know its fake?

Bc 99% of them are and there is no way to prove otherwise, so I will always assume it's fake.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10645 on: April 29, 2021, 10:49:19 AM »
99% seems a tad high of an assumption, this particular one looks good to me based on other stuff he has signed. Also wonder if Prop Store has provenance that will then turn around to the new owner.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10646 on: April 29, 2021, 11:15:14 AM »
Fake or no fake, it was £5K, so about $7K  happy1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10647 on: April 29, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »
99% seems a tad high of an assumption, this particular one looks good to me based on other stuff he has signed. Also wonder if Prop Store has provenance that will then turn around to the new owner.

We've been thru this a thousand times.  It's so easy to reciprocate a signature to perfection, so easy, and there is ZERO WAY to prove it is legit.  ZERO!!!!  So in essence, you'll never know, which is even worse imo. 

"Check out this signature!!!  It may or may not be real.  I will never know for sure, since I wasn't there.  I did spend $7,000 on a $5 poster, though.  Isn't it cool???"

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10648 on: April 29, 2021, 12:11:00 PM »
99% seems a tad high of an assumption...

Let's agree to disagree.  Charlatans are roaming the earth.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10649 on: April 29, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »
I assumed the signature was obtained from a " send in" where you mail your poster off to an event organiser (too risky to send an original BTTF poster) and pay extra for the artist you never meet to write his character name below his signature. I don't understand why anyone would want to pay hundreds of dollars to do that as the pleasure and memories come from meeting the celebrity. I agree with Thierry's 99% figure for faked signed posters sold on ebay but where I differ is that knowledgeable sellers are able to assess authenticity and provenance beyond a reasonable doubt. For instance, many of the signed posters consigned to Sothebys earlier this month, which achieved spectacular prices, were from someone who I have regularly seen obtaining them with no payment involved, as I met the celebrities at the same time. It seems to me getting a genuine signature of an A-list actor or director is a proven way of adding value to a poster, particularly a low-value one.

Mark