Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2795674 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
I agree.. it's alot like auto mechanics... do you bring your car to the dealer or do you let the guy who approaches you on the street rebuild your engine because he says he can save you $500 ??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest8

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »
Id rebuild my own engine for $200 :P

movieposterodyssey

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »
Not surprised about the Ferris poster.
More collectors from that era on board,it was getting good results years ago,it's the best poster, not a ton around.
Although there probally will be now.

Anthony

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
Sometimes Mel just doenst seem to get it ;)

It comes down to trust .. as a collector Id be willing to spend twice as much on a poster if I was buying from Bruce than if I was buying from an unknown ebay seller ..
For you it comes down to trust, clearly.  However, I suspect that Mel gets equal enjoyment from "finding a bargain" as he does from owning a poster.  It all comes down to one's individual preferences and why they are in the hobby.  No need to knock someone because their reasons don't match yours.

I myself am probably more similar to Mel in some ways... More than a few times I've bought a poster (that I don't really care about) simply because I got it for a song.  And even those posters that I do want REALLY badly, I still won't pay top dollar simply for the privilege of owning them. I prefer to be patient and wait around the deal which will certainly come someday...

Thrill of the hunt baby!

Bruce

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »
I agree, Harry. I collect travel posters, and I just got two of them on eBay that retail for around $300 each, and I paid $6.50 for both!

Now of course both are all tattered around the edges, and would cost $200, $300, or more each to linenback to where they look good, but that's not the point.

I GOT A STEAL!

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »
Nice score Bruce, I would love to see them.  So are you up all night scouring eBay for deals when you should be working (selling movie posters) as well? ;)

Bruce

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 03:02:06 PM »
Nah, I just spend a few minutes searching, and if I find something great, and if not, so be it. I USED to love searching on eBay until they "improved" the site to where I can't find anything, and there's not much there anyway!

Bruce

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Hey Bruce, I love collecting advertising posters, including travel posters such as early TWA and Air France. You probably don't have available, but it would be great to see, your collection (or part of it) if you have it online  ;D You must have quite an impressive collection! What else do you mostly collect?

I have heard, maybe on this board, and agree, advertising posters tend to stay up on the walls longer than movie posters. Even though I have much more movie posters, I probably deep down prefer the advertising posters mainly because of the (typically) stone litho / bold colors look. I have mentioned previously I rarely watch movies or collect movie posters for any other reason but the art, so this maybe a factor.

Sounds like eBay can't be that bad a place as collecting 250 travel posters (which are much less numerous than movie posters) in a short space of time would indicate to me eBay is still a great source of posters, especially if each were obtained with just a few minutes searching! But, please, leave some there for the rest of us  ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 04:09:46 PM »
The Ferris Bueller madness continues. 

Cameo Auctions sold a Ferris Bueller UK bus shelter for 380 pounds/$619 today (plus 15% buyer's fee I think). They don't list the final price on their site but I was watching the live auction.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
I guess Jaws took a bite out this Star Wars D poster that Movieposterbid is selling next week!   ;D  (And yes this auction is in the future but I'll make an exception for this one....)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
yeah Mel.. I used to have is on the wall at the office. time for someone else to have fun.. you gotta admit, the damage is fairly consisitent with the style of the poster image and adds an extra dimension to it

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
the damage is fairly consisitent with the style of the poster image and adds an extra dimension to it

Yeah it does. But whoever gets it - and I'd be surprised if it sells for big $$$ - should buy the 15th anniversary Lucasfilm restrike (same image and size and cheap to buy) and lay the original on top of the restrike in a frame.  That way you've got a displayable poster that is 80% original and you have an interesting story to tell to boot....

Bruce

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »
Just display it partly behind the right shaped couch and hardly anyone would ever know (except the cleaning lady).

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »
actually I think it may sell for more than the Ferris Bueller poster did

(by the way Bruce.. John Reid sold his Ferris poster 2 days after his mopo post.. so the price is not a fluke.. though it may be a trout)

-------

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »
Given the poor condition of that Ferris Bueller poster that just sold at Cameo - and the unattractive snipe (if that is what it is) on the top - and John's quick sale of his folded poster - Rich's poster is beginning to look like a bargain buy. 

Mark

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:16 PM »
Crazy!! I'm sorry, but there is not a movie that has been made that stars Matthew Broderick that will ever be a 1000.00 poster. There has to be 4 people that are clubbing each other to death over this poster. I was a Ferris fan as well at 14, but come on, Hughes other films hold up way better than this one and can be had at 40.00 all day long.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 11:38:22 PM »

-------

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »
What is going on here definitely isnt an unknown phenomenon.  Just because they havent sold much in the past 10 years doesnt mean they are rare.  It just means they are rarely seen on the market.  As soon as people realize just what they can get for them, all of the sudden putting on the market seems like a very good idea.  I am sure several more will surface over the next few months before they peter out again.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Carson

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
And that difference too often goes unspoken. When I advertise rare I am often referring to availability not total number of known copies on earth, eg, the availability of a Twilight B1 in relation to a US one sheet can't be compared. It's another thread but defining "rare", like "value", is a subject most love to debate. And, exactly right on one high return resulting in others putting theirs on the market. Happens often.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
I think Dave Lieberman has a quote that fits here...........say it with me everyone:

"A long time can go by without one of these coming up for sale"
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »
Uk International one sheets (I assume that is what the Ferris Bueller poster is - there are no indicative markings) from say the 1970's were I believe printed in smaller numbers than their quad counterparts and are potentially rarer for that reason alone. When that rarity is combined with demand for a popular title and different or superior artwork - FB is just one example - at the top of my head I can think of The Deerhunter, American Werewolf in London, Harold & Maude, The Long Good Friday as other examples - market forces will dictate higher prices.  Staying on topic I won (amongst others) a UK International one sheet for Mad Max - with alternative artwork - in yesterday's Cameo auction. I was the only bidder at the reserve of £100 ($162) and I consider that a bargain - a consequence of the low-profile nature of the auction rather than negligible market demand.

Mark

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
Yeah, I saw that Mad Max Mark.  I'm very jealous of that poster!
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Carson

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »
I think Dave Lieberman has a quote that fits here...........say it with me everyone:

"A long time can go by without one of these coming up for sale"

How does a Lieberman quote fit, exactly? Thanks

Carson

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »
In other words, tell me your personal view of the factual-conflict or error in calling a poster of minimal availability "rare". What guidelines or hobby standard define your views of rare; and how "a long time passing" relates to anything in my previous post. Preciate it.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2010, 03:38:48 PM »
Mark: I absolutely agree that UK one sheets are harder to find/rarer/scarcer (delete as appropriate) than quads. Often they have different artwork too; my Explorers one sheet and the one sheet for The Thing are two examples.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper