Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2830902 times)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10675 on: June 09, 2021, 07:29:11 AM »
.........a lot of folks were laughing at this new collecting hobby.

Yes, I remember some were likening it to Beanie Babies. 15 years later the art print market has never been stronger and the best examples of those early "Golden Age" Mondo/Alamo releases will continue to appreciate in value.

Mark

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #10676 on: June 09, 2021, 02:02:01 PM »
Eh, I sold most of my Mondo prints years ago (and I had all the classics from 2009-2012) to buy 1930s material. No regrets!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10677 on: June 09, 2021, 09:28:40 PM »
those early "Golden Age" Mondo/Alamo releases will continue to appreciate in value.

Maybe my kids will be able to afford college.  I was told to not be surprised if it cost 1/2 million dollars per kid by the time they graduate high school (11 years to go for the oldest).  Yikes!  C'mon prints, go go go :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10678 on: June 10, 2021, 12:30:14 AM »
Congratulations to you guys on the print collecting boon.  You bought what you liked and the collector market followed!  That's old school collecting success which was unexpected, though may help you and your family someday. Kind of like when Babara Mandrell said, "I was Country, when Country wasn't cool."

Bravo, Okie

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10679 on: June 10, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »
Wow. I just saw the Heritage auction link. I guess these alternative movie posters are having a moment.

Maybe my kids will be able to afford college.  I was told to not be surprised if it cost 1/2 million dollars per kid by the time they graduate high school (11 years to go for the oldest).  Yikes!  C'mon prints, go go go :)

T

Hey folks. I think we just witnessed a bit of a breakthrough. We found out a potential reason why T might sell some of his trove.  ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10680 on: June 10, 2021, 05:26:37 PM »
Hahaha not bloody likely. 

I actually transferred some of my best pieces to a climate controlled facility by my house, which gives me more room to collect here at home :)  Since I never look at them anyway, might have them be locked up somewhere else.  Out of sight, out of mind, as they say.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10681 on: June 12, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »
Since I never look at them anyway, might have them be locked up somewhere else.  Out of sight, out of mind, as they say.

T

It does beg the question why we collect.  Similarly for me, with only a few hundred Bond posters, I can never get them out again for a looksee.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10682 on: June 12, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »
It does beg the question why we collect.  Similarly for me, with only a few hundred Bond posters, I can never get them out again for a looksee.

Then do you ever get those days where you say to yourself I’ll take a look at some of my posters tomorrow… Then tomorrow comes and you say actually too much work and never pull the posters out to look at them?
Or is it just me lol…

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10683 on: June 12, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
I never physically look at the posters I own.  I receive them and immediately put them away to avoid clutter.  It has always been the main reason for my website, not to show my posters to the world, but for me to look at my collection.  It’s all I need.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10684 on: June 12, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »
I never physically look at the posters I own.  I receive them and immediately put them away to avoid clutter.  It has always been the main reason for my website, not to show my posters to the world, but for me to look at my collection.  It’s all I need.

T

I couldn’t do that. I would bag and board mine just so I can see them once in awhile. Just the USD and backings sizes I’m looking at come from the US so getting it here cost quite a bit right now.
I’d have to look at them at least once in awhile..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10685 on: June 13, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »
Yeah, collecting is a different experience for each one of us.  I am really not that interested by what I already own, since I already own it.  It’s finding new pieces that amuses me.  Once the quest is over, I move on.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10686 on: June 14, 2021, 03:36:40 AM »
Then do you ever get those days where you say to yourself I’ll take a look at some of my posters tomorrow… Then tomorrow comes and you say actually too much work and never pull the posters out to look at them?

I'm afraid not.  They are just too big.

Other aspects of my collection, yes. FOH sets, lobby cards, press kits, premiere brochures.  All the time.  It is just the posters that devoid of love after their purchase.

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #10687 on: June 14, 2021, 04:20:35 PM »
I'm always doing something with my posters. Yesterday was such a hot day I decided to let one of them go into the kiddy pool  :o

Regards

Ian

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10688 on: June 15, 2021, 01:29:05 AM »
Hi Ian, Great under water swimming and holding its breath!  Okie
I'm always doing something with my posters. Yesterday was such a hot day I decided to let one of them go into the kiddy pool  :o

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10689 on: June 15, 2021, 03:53:57 AM »
I'm afraid not.  They are just too big.

Other aspects of my collection, yes. FOH sets, lobby cards, press kits, premiere brochures.  All the time.  It is just the posters that devoid of love after their purchase.

This is pretty much me too. I have a few up on the walls now, but I never look at any of the posters rolled up or put away, just too much work. I do keep a couple of binders of my favorite lobbies by my desk to flip through every now and then, but once it's put in the storage room, it's just forgotten about.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10690 on: June 23, 2021, 09:12:27 AM »
Some pretty high final prices from the Heritage Alternative Movie Poster auction last night (prices below before BP is added). Some around 'normal' market value (Durieux Jaws, Stout and Moss Star Wars for example), but on the whole, some pretty nice results for the consignors. It was quite cool to see some of those older pieces appear in an auction like that

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 10:20:38 AM by Tob »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10691 on: June 23, 2021, 10:13:41 AM »
I was on the road throughout the sale, so I missed it all until a few minutes ago after I woke up this morning and your post reminded me of it.  I checked the results, and I have to say that the nicest thing about it is not to worry about it because you own most of it and bought your prints at $40/piece.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10692 on: June 23, 2021, 12:10:52 PM »
Those prices are completely bonkers. faint2.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10693 on: June 23, 2021, 12:28:39 PM »
There are about 10-12 prints that I don’t own that I always wanted to get, but I now known that I waited too long ans that I will never own them.  On the other, I bought Durieux’ Iron Giant last year for $350 (I was really mad about it bc I hate buying 2nd hand and I thought I was being taken for a ride), but I guess it sold for slightly  more yesterday.  So maybe there is still a slim slim chance.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10694 on: June 23, 2021, 01:08:10 PM »
There are about 10-12 prints that I don’t own that I always wanted to get, but I now known that I waited too long ans that I will never own them.

Too true. The two I wanted - Stout's Big Trouble in Little China and Moss's Blues Brothers - went far too high for me. I can never understand why I didn't purchase BTILC when they were first offered for sale by Alamo. Maybe I did and just didn't receive my prints (I would have have ordered 2 regulars and 2 variants) or I got confused having ordered Doyle's version, on sale at the same time. Blues Brothers was never available to purchase until one or two were offered for sale years later. There was definitely something strange going on with that one.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10695 on: June 23, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »
Hahaha I can tell you why I didn’t order it… I didn’t like it.  Changed my mind since, but at first I simply didn’t.  Then there is the Blade Runner.  Jeannie got both for me and decided to keep the variant.  I wasn’t too excited about the print so I didn’t really care.  The only one I really wanted were The Things, and I got them both.  Also happy that mine are uncut, unlike so many of them.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10696 on: June 23, 2021, 07:22:47 PM »
Ugh...i hated how HA called them "alternative movie posters" but that is probably just me ;D

in the real world, i missed lots of bargains here
https://www.astebolaffi.it/en/auction/550

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #10697 on: July 12, 2021, 04:01:11 PM »
So I tried my first time bidding on emovieposter.com and I noticed a certain eatbrie was my rival on one of the auctions. ;)
It was nice to see a familiar face there my first time!
Sorry I outbid you though - but WarGames has a special place in my heart and I had to have it!
Two of the auctions did go for less than I thought I would - but I think I did fine on the three I won - which were the only three I bid on!
I like the system in place there - makes me wish I had tried it out sooner over eBay!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10698 on: July 12, 2021, 05:51:21 PM »
Hahaha I was at the beach and had terrible reception, like close to none.  2-3mn to download a page.  I did what I could on a couple of items but had to let everything else go.  I don’t remember Wargames, but I’m glad someone got it, whatever it was.  Oh wait, Italian photobustas?  1pm on a Sunday is a terrible time for auctions.  It’s one of the reasons I never remember them.

On a side note, i also missed the Euro, but I’m glad I did.  Watching the Italians win would have spoiled my day.  I did get to watch Wimbledon and the NBA though, so all was not lost :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10699 on: July 12, 2021, 06:32:04 PM »
On a side note, i also missed the Euro, but I’m glad I did.  Watching the Italians win would have spoiled my day.

Penalties…again. Inevitable with England, but so disappointing  crying