Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2830007 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10600 on: March 31, 2021, 04:16:35 AM »
Agreed.
I just sold a beautiful Goldfinger quad to the organizer of the annual Sotheby's JB auction for a silly price, and what is the first thing he wanted me to do?
Ship it off to his restorer so it could be linenbacked.  Almost made me cancel the sale, but there goes another beautiful poster down the drain.

You SOLD it to Sotheby's?  You don't get commission on the sale price?

And, if you're selling it, presumably this is because you've finished collecting the series and the thrust now is profit?  Have I got that right?

Just curious about the business and the thinking?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10601 on: March 31, 2021, 06:57:55 AM »
To LB or not to LB that is the question....

We are collectors of paper and to radically distort the form of the poster by mounting it on canvas seems wrong to me. If a poster has to be backed for reasons of fragility or conservation then use paper. as any reputable museum conservator would. Unfortunately, this is not a widespread practice as it doesn't fit in with the requirements of dealers.

Mark

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #10602 on: March 31, 2021, 07:58:23 AM »
I don't like linenbacked posters at all too, unfortunately I have several.

I regret that auction websites like eMovie are doing more and more auctions with linenbacked posters (the major auctions for example)

Difficult to know the real condition of the poster before linenback when you see what a professional can do with a poster in very poor condition. And I have big doubts (after certain purchases) on the  sellers informations of the 'Very Good prior restoration' quality. Now, I avoid compulsive buying of linenbacked posters.

I'm quite sad to see some posters I'm looking for, like a Laura one sheet linenbacked on HA , or a 'Time Machine', 'When World Collides', some M.Monroe linenbacked posters on eMovie ... (And considering final prices, I don't regret but I find it incomprehensible -> DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK 1700$, TIME MACHINE 1800$)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10603 on: April 01, 2021, 01:55:20 AM »
So out of $2mil in sales, how much does HA pocket?

Also, don’t forget to show us your goodies.

T

Someone texted me that they pocket $900k out of $2mil?  That can't be true, is it?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10604 on: April 01, 2021, 03:07:29 AM »
You SOLD it to Sotheby's?  You don't get commission on the sale price?

Yes, when you sell it outright you don't get a commission on the sale price.
it was a very nice offer, so I'm ok with that.
It's not like I had a still that might fetch £20,000 or something  rofl1
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10605 on: April 01, 2021, 05:58:15 AM »
Yes, when you sell it outright you don't get a commission on the sale price.
it was a very nice offer, so I'm ok with that.
It's not like I had a still that might fetch £20,000 or something  rofl1

Hmm, ok.  Had no idea that happened.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10606 on: April 01, 2021, 06:01:44 AM »
Someone texted me that they pocket $900k out of $2mil?  That can't be true, is it?

T

Roughly a third of the sale price.  I'd say something just shy of $700k.

Hammer Price $1000
BP of 20% equals $1200
Commission of 20% equals $200 from the hammer price.

Consignor gets $800, Heritage gets $400 of sale price.  $400 being 2/3 of the sale price.

Have I got that right?

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10607 on: April 01, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
^your maths looks correct. i would guess that people with multiple consignments would haggle for lower fees which would mean a bit less
i find HA sig auctions without auctioneers a total zzzzzz but i don't think i've even bid on one so they haven't lost any business from me ;D

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10608 on: April 01, 2021, 02:03:25 PM »

Hammer Price $1000
BP of 20% equals $1200

I'd say the only percentage we can be fairly sure of is the buyer's premium. everything else is up for negotiation. In their comic auctions, it's actually not unusual for them to give up even a portion of their BP to sellers who have top material because of the competition in that area.
But that's not the case in posters, no one comes close to the overall level of crushing results they get. I mean, who gets nearly $4K for a Back to the Future 1-sheet?
I'd be happy with whatever premium they wanted to charge with that kind of result.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10609 on: April 02, 2021, 05:27:15 AM »

Hammer Price $1000
BP of 20% equals $1200

Consignor gets $800, Heritage gets $400 of sale price.  $400 being 2/3 of the sale price.

Have I got that right?

Evidently I didn't.

$400 being 1/3 of the sale price.

Duh!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10610 on: April 02, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
I mean, who gets nearly $4K for a Back to the Future 1-sheet?

That actually did not surprise me as much as the $9k for Breakfast at Tiffany's.  The Back to the Future was a rolled Advance, and there are pretty hard to come by.  I'd say it was probably twice what it should have been.  But come to think of it, so was Breakfast.  Alright, carry on....

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10611 on: April 03, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »
To paraphrase Anderson Cooper, here's more for the ridiculist.

A couple days ago at Sotheby's.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but don't they have fees on top of the hammer price?  I won't even mention the "signed" stuff because I'm still laughing about it.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10612 on: April 03, 2021, 01:46:48 PM »
Probably a record for the Who Framed Roger Rabbit mylar.   :o

Some serious bidders there, especially considering they bid that much more than the estimates, which they probably know are already on the high side.  It would be interesting to see which of the top auction houses gets the highest bids.  In terms of "top" auction houses, a quick search says Sotheby's is second to Christie's.

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10613 on: April 04, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
A lot of collectibles are seeing crazy-ass prices now. It's not only movie posters. The best examples of baseball cards, comic books, prints and the like are fetching lofty prices. Legit Banksy items have gone up ridiculously. Even vintage guitars are up. WTF is an NFT, and why are people willing to pay money for one?

It probably has something to do with the pandemic.

If you were otherwise unaffected financially, maybe you didn't take a vacation and are sitting on some cash. Maybe you feel extra motivation to get that poster or comic book you have always wanted because you know someone who got really sick or died from Covid. Life is fragile.
Maybe it's FOMO and people are looking at these items as investments.

I don't know why, but the whole thing is pretty insane. $9580 for a Who Framed Roger Rabbit Mylar? WTF?
I guess the million dollar question is . . . is this a blip or a trend?

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10614 on: April 04, 2021, 10:08:53 PM »
I agree that prices for collectibles seem to have gone up this past year, and I see the same phenomenon in fine arts.  I also believe that the pandemic might have something to do with this.  It could be that in times of anxiety and uncertainty, investing in collectibles like movie posters and comic books, or in paintings and sculptures, feels like a safer bet than other traditional investments that have been impacted by the pandemic, such as real estate (which has taken a hit here in NYC).  Whatever the cause, it will be interesting to see how long this will last. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10615 on: April 04, 2021, 11:03:36 PM »
Strange, where I live, real estate is on fire.  My house has gained 30% value in 2 years.  It's crazy.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10616 on: April 05, 2021, 12:29:38 AM »
My guess is the stimulus... Most regular Joes got a check or two but businesses got salaries. I have a relatively small business and we were able to get almost $100K. We paid our employees with it and followed the rules to get it forgiven. If I was a single owner with a staff of 20 I could have gotten much more. That is my guess, Uncle Sam is paying for all this  allowing folks to enter collectible markets with chunks of change.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10617 on: April 05, 2021, 12:31:43 AM »
Strange, where I live, real estate is on fire.  My house has gained 30% value in 2 years.  It's crazy.

T

Prices of building products have skyrocketed +25% or more, pushing people away from new construction - plus the stimulus.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10618 on: April 05, 2021, 12:34:54 AM »
Prices of building products have skyrocketed +25% or more, pushing people away from new construction - plus the stimulus.

I've heard some that the hurricane damage last year helped drive up the building materials.  We've definitely felt the increases on the U.S. Gulf Coast.  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10619 on: April 05, 2021, 03:21:42 AM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5958701

£8750 for a From Russia with Love UK 1/2 sheet.  Very impressive.

Online ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10620 on: April 13, 2021, 10:18:55 PM »
WTF, $600 for a Back To The Future daybill?? I think I paid like 12.00 for mine, are daybills the in thing or what am I missing here.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10621 on: April 13, 2021, 10:27:32 PM »
WTF, $600 for a Back To The Future daybill?? I think I paid like 12.00 for mine, are daybills the in thing or what am I missing here.

Yep...finally  ;D
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10622 on: April 13, 2021, 10:43:23 PM »
Dang!  I missed that boat.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10623 on: April 14, 2021, 12:35:52 AM »
Chris is a majillionaire now!  Is a round of drinks expensive in Maple leaf pubs?!  Okie
Yep...finally  ;D

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10624 on: April 22, 2021, 06:11:19 PM »
it's a commercial poster but is says MARTY so lets pay 5K GBP for it!

also, am i missing something here ??? this is never first issue Polish yet somebody has paid over 1K for it

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:18:23 PM by redman »