Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 672611 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Star Wars posters!
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »
What kind of self-respecting movie poster forum doesn't have a thread devoted to these posters? 

So, let's start with this Star Wars Immunization Poster that sold on Heritage last night for $239.  Spotting that auction actually inspired me to get the "swine flu" vaccine shot - my agency is offering it for free.  Starwarsposter.com gives it 2.5/6 on the rarity scale, so I'm surprised it sold for that much.

Anybody have a unique Star Wars poster out there? I've heard rumors that someone on this board has the Starfall poster....

Juli

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:34:27 PM »
I have the Star Wars USPS stamp poster.

~ Juli

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
and I can't get more than $60 for that Immunization poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
How about this one  ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »

Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
and I can't get more than $60 for that Immunization poster

$239 is an anomoly - Heritage sold the exact same poster (VF/NM) for $48 in late 2008.

Also Exhibit A in "wild and inexplicable price swings" in movie posters sales.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:05:20 PM »
I've heard rumors that someone on this board has the Starfall poster....

Not a rumor, and it certainly isn't unique, but I have one.  I really need to put it in a frame or something  :P

Schan

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »
Ohhh that starfall is purdy!

You say they arent that rare? I may have to keep an eye out for one then :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »

Cool Chris - the Australian "triple bill" poster gets a full page on page 145 of the Star Wars Poster Book, which says "the silver pyramid-shaped logos lend it some compositional weight."

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 09:29:42 PM »
Not a rumor, and it certainly isn't unique, but I have one.  I really need to put it in a frame or something  :P
Schan

The Starfall poster - awesome: The Star Wars Poster Book says: "Noriyoshi Ohrai created a beautiful illustration for this Yamakatsu premium poster from Japan.  It was produced in very small quantities and was hard to find even the year it was printed."

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 09:51:43 PM »
Cool Chris - the Australian "triple bill" poster gets a full page on page 145 of the Star Wars Poster Book, which says "the silver pyramid-shaped logos lend it some compositional weight."

I agree Mel.  It certainly reminds one of the opening credits to all 3 films...
Chris

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 04:10:53 AM »
Ohhh that starfall is purdy!

You say they arent that rare? I may have to keep an eye out for one then :)

Not unique isnt the same as not rare.  They are pretty scarce.  I also have these 2 Japanese B1's.  Though certainly not groundbreaking in terms of imagery, they are relatively uncommon as well.

Schan
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
I agree Mel.  It certainly reminds one of the opening credits to all 3 films...

Do you actually own that, "Mr. Vintage"?  ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
Do you actually own that, "Mr. Vintage"?  ;)

Sure do! Along with daybills for Raiders, Temple (all 3 styles), Crusade & Back to the Future 1 and 2...

;)
Chris

kauaitx

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:10:50 PM »

No discussion about Star Wars posters can be conducted without me!!

And I'm quite miffed that Schan has the Ohrai "Starfall" before I do.  I've passed it up a couple of times due to price.  It's just wrong that some young upstart gets that poster before I.  I mean, to this day I defer to Eric (magnum55 on NSFGE) if he and I want the same thing because he's, well, older (and more curmudgeonly) and more likely to expire. 

Maybe I'll show y'all my Birthday and Style C British Quad without Oscar credits..... I'm not as fond of the British Quad Advance for SW, even though it's more rare, but I have one somewhere (I think) in very, very bad condition.

That was a crazy price for the Immunization poster.  Although, it is getting more difficult to find, though not that difficult in the first place.

I'm feeling that bug hit me... I'd put my Star Wars poster collecting on hold in favor of Battlestar Galactica props, but it's starting to get to me again.  Thanks a lot, Mel.  I was doing just fine in hibernation mode until you just had to start this thread.

Jeannie

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
No discussion about Star Wars posters can be conducted without me!!

Jeannie

Gotta love y'all Star Wars chicks:

P.S. Show us some pics of your Birthday and Style C British Quad.

P.S.S. I never got into the new Galactica but was a fan of the old show (and that's dating myself!)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:04:06 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »
Dude, that M. Falcon bed takes nerd to a whole new level!  I dont know what in the world I would say if I walked into a girl's bedroom and saw something like that (back in the day when I tended to view female bedrooms).
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
Adding some prequel pics:

This Return of the Sith - the best prequel - advance DS poster rolled in today.  I think it looks really cool in person - has an unusual "dark" color scheme that matches the movie - I give it a "B+/A-":

In fact - although the prequels weren't that great (except Sith) - the advance posters for all three are very good:

Also, the AOTC quad is superior to the AOTC OS because the horizontal format better depicts the symbolic separation of the two characters:

Also spotted a Revenge of the Sith six sheet (105" x 52") poster for $199 on Ebay - I'd give it a solid "B" and you don't see a six sheet very often:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:47:07 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »
While cleaning out the litterbox, found these two Star Wars game posters...

This one's pretty sharp...

This one's not...

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
really like the game posters, here are some of mine

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »
I unfortunately don't have as many as I would like... because I forget about them, and then I remember and I get some more.  But here's my little collection as of today.  Now, thanks to this thread, I remember, so I will probably get more in the coming weeks.

http://www.eatbrie.com/SW.html

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 11:16:34 PM »
The Japanese B0, you really have to see this in person to appreciate it.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

kauaitx

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
Ooooohhhhh, so nice.  

Must. Resist.

I am devoting all my money towards Battlestar Galactica props right now and they ain't cheap.  One more auction to go before it all ends.  I still have to get a couple of things.....

Mel, I'm so glad to see you enjoying the advance posters for the Prequels.  I think they're wonderful as well, especially the advance for Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.  I agree with you that the British quad for AOTC is a far better presentation than the US 1-sheet.

I have the US banners for all the prequels.  In fact, I have several copies of everything, because in my obsessed state I get paranoid that my one copy will get damaged, so I have to get an extra copy... or two..... or three.... The AOTC looks great and the one for ROTS in its full glory is just impressive.  The US 1-sheet for the ROTS advance got a lot of criticism, but I think the 1-sheet format simply did not do the image justice.  It was just too tight and didn't portray the transformation of Anakin into Vader very well at all.  The banner is much better.

The huge bus shelter British character sets for ROTS are fantastic.  There's an authenticity issue with those.  Which reminds me, I still need to get that story posted up on MPA.  Oh, too many authentications to do, so little time available.

Jeannie
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:05:40 AM by kauaitx »

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:57 AM »
Grats Holiday on a very nice B0!

Chad

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 07:34:48 PM »
So.. who has the wallpaper? (from the 1st)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!