Author Topic: Avatar hits $2,500,000,000 worldwide...  (Read 28175 times)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Re: Avatar hits $1,000,000,000 worldwide...
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 09:25:01 PM »
Cameron will have the 1 and 2 spot either way it plays out. I figure one thing helping it as well is the fact that it cost more to see the film than other films. They are making you pay for glasses even if you bring your own.

guest8

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 06:15:59 AM »
Avatar is now officially #3 worldwide.  By the end of the week, it will be #2 with only Titanic in sight.  

Some Hollywood pundits now put it in the lead for the best picture award, ahead of Up in the Air, the previous fav.

T.

I liked Up in the Air better :-/

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »
Phil.. the BOS vs BO vs GWTW is +/- the average of HEM + TV + RR divided by the SC = DVD + VHS - BL (bootleg)

did you all get that???

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 04:46:35 AM »
thats the theory of relativity right?
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »
no.. it's BS

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
AVATAR, a couple weeks away from reaching $2,000,000,000 worldwide.

Add a flurry of Academy Awards nominations on Tuesday, and an expected win for best picture soon after (unless Bigelow or Reitman steal the show, but not likely), and the movie could go much, MUCH higher.  Crazy.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

wonka

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
Crazy, to say the least.

I will have a friendly debate with anyone who likes the movie, no problem...but all these awards??!?!  No way.  If it wins best picture, then the awards are a bigger joke than I previously thought.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
There is absolutely no debate to have.  I loved it, you didn't.  Taste is subjective.  Everyone I know who is an Academy member is voting for this movie.  And these people are no joke.  You are allowed to have your own taste, Ben, but please refrain from being condescending and mocking people who disagree with you.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

wonka

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »
Hi Thierry, welcome home (right, are you back?).

Can you please tell me what was condescending or mocking in my post?  Thanks.

Also, who you know in the Academy doesn't really have anything to do with this, more importantly my opinion of the movie has nothing to do with judging your Academy friends as human beings.  The debate is merit of the story and how its told, and yes, its a good debate.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »
I'm back, and I'm in a pissy mood.  Sorry, problems with something I'm working on.

Look, the bottom line is this...  We can argue boxoffice success as long as you want, the success of Transformers 2 and Harry Potter, but any movie that transcends the medium such as Avatar does deserves accolades.  This movie is #1 in every country around the world, even in China, in every culture, every language.  And at 2 billion dollars, it's not only about its amazing special effects.  The movie touches people, its story speaks to people around the globe.  Titanic was the same.  I've heard people complain about Cameron's simplistic ideas, about its idiotic screenplay, its insipid dialog (the same people who put Titanic down), but the truth is, it works.  Cameron has a magic wand, he knows how to reach the multitude.  I was in France last week, and people were raving about it, left and right.  No one was raving about Transformers 2, the year's 2nd largest boxoffice hit.  Even left wing intellectuals (usually against Hollywood popcorn) gave it awesome reviews.  This, to me, is what cinema is all about, the cinema of Charlie Chaplin, that is, not the cinema of Jean-Luc Godard.

Now, when you're saying that the Academy Awards are a joke, you're basically putting down 5,500 academy voters.  They're not all idiots.  This is why I mentioned the dozen people I personally know.  You may disagree with them, but to call it a joke is condescending.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »
Can you please tell me what was condescending or mocking in my post?  Thanks.

Wonka, two days ago you wrote that it was "completely folly and misleading" for me to disagree with you about Heritage. 

Totally condescending and obnoxious.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 02:27:41 AM »
Now, now, back to Avatar....
I agree with Thierry.  The movie is great.  Cameron continues to make grand epics and appeal to people of all ages, nationalities, etc.

There are very few movies made today that cannot be accused of being derivative in one way or another.
But, it's when posters lose their originality that I really lose my cool...

scartacus

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:11 AM »
Here's my two penny's worth on Avatar -- it is not a great movie but it is a great cinema-going experience. It is the only example I can think of where the movie is better than the trailer. The trailer looked SO bad. On MPF I think I described it as "the bad version of Aliens as directed by Jah-Jah Binks." And in 2-D, that's what it looked like. In 2d, the CGI seemed cartoony and the rehashed Aliens/Dances with Wolves storyline was hardly inspirational. But in 3-D, wow....all those concerns about the B-movie "seen it before" storyline and characters go out of the window, precisely because none of us have EVER seen a story told like this. It does raise an interesting marketing question though -- how do you trail a 3d movie in 2d?

But here's a thought -- how will Avatar stack up when it is seen again on DVD, in 2D? I suspect it could be the equivalent of Jurassic Park all those years ago. At the cinema, everyone marvelled at the new technology-- CGI real-life dinosaurs, wow! And Jurassic Park was a huge box office success. And now, 17 odd years later, is it still considered a great movie? Jurrassic Park is a lot of fun but the movie's achievements, which were mainly in the special effects department, have all been surpassed.

As a final point, it's worth noting that although Cameron is an ace technocrat and responsible for some of the most entertaining movies of the last 30 years, you only need to watch the last 15 minutes of the Abyss to know what happens when he screws up. My fear was that Avatar was going to be as bad as that -- I was wrong.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:57:12 AM by scartacus »

wonka

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »
Wonka, two days ago you wrote that it was "completely folly and misleading" for me to disagree with you about Heritage. 

Totally condescending and obnoxious.

Not really, but I am sorry that you interpret my words that way.  Please check out that bit again (and maybe the rest of the post):

Regardless, I do think you dig well and are resourceful with your thoughtful research, but the allegiance to Heritage values (or any ONE/SINGULAR source) is completely folly and misleading to be honest.

I am not the only one who feels this way, and our esteemed mod Holiday had his choice words about Heritage recently, but I can understand swiping at me over him.  Still, I would not mind hearing your thoughts on why you revere Heritage so much or use their 'prices realized' as gospel.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
it is not a great movie but it is a great cinema-going experience.

This is what I am hearing again and again from people who have seen it.  Movie in terms of story is not great, but the technology is a wow- factor to just about all. 
Ves

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »
4 days ago, I said it would take a couple of weeks for Avatar to reach $2 billion worldwide.  I was wrong.  Way wrong.  It did it this weekend.

Only 5 movies have gone above $1 billion:

Titanic: $1,843
LOTR:ROTK: $1,119
PofC:DMC: $1,066
Dark Knight: $1,001

How high can Avatar go?  Some in Hollywood have mentioned $3 billion.  Academy Awards nomination are up Tuesday morning.

What do you think?
My Personal Collection

wonka

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »
Interesting stuff to say the least, but I feel that actual numbers/tickets sold or gross adjusted for inflation seems to be a more telling or concrete way to examine any given films' success.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »
Yeah, you're right, my bad.  It's a flop, nobody likes it, it's not making any money.  I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.  You are so smart, Wonka.
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »
For pure entertainment value and fun, I thought it was one of the best movies I have ever seen.  But, I felt like the writing was horrendous and the plot development was mediocre at best. 
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

wonka

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
Yeah, you're right, my bad.  It's a flop, nobody likes it, it's not making any money.  I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier.  You are so smart, Wonka.

Thierry, not really a proportional response, to be fair.  How could you take such offense to my post?  Strange, and the irony of labeling me as sarcastic as of late is all the more strange.

More importantly and on topic, how can you argue the notion that the number of paying customers/head count in theaters seems to be a more accurate way of determining a film's popularity?

Here is an updated list (with Avatar) with said data:

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Not denying the popularity of Avatar, my man.  But I think the above info is important to consider.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 10:48:48 PM »
I thought we had talked about this topic already, but I guess not.  So once again, Boxofficemojo's all-time boxoffice list is complete bullshit.  It can be used as a distant reference, but should not, by any means, be taken seriously.

#1 - A lot of the movies mentioned were re-released over the years.  GTWW, for instance, was re-released 12 times in the US.  Also, GWTW was in theaters from 1939 to 1947, mainly because there was no other source of entertainment at the time (except for radio and stage) and the world was at war.  The Mojo is taking the general boxoffice of GWTW made over the course of these 12 re-releases and dividing its total by the average ticket price in 1939 (about 35 cents), which is completely wrong.  Tickets prices were all different over the 12 re-releases.

#2 - Box office numbers as we know them started being tabulated in 1982.  Before that, and even a few years after that, it was only estimated numbers at best, reported (and never checked) by a specific studio.  Competitive studios and tracking companies like Nielsen started verifying other studios' numbers in the late 80s.  Today, everything is computerized, checked and double checked.

#3 - Today, home video represents 60% of the pie generated by a given movie.  Domestic BO is 10%, intl. is also 10% (give or take), TV and cable sales are the other 20% (with airline sales).   Therefore, it is impossible (and unfair) to compare 1975 theatrical box office with 1985 box office (because of the invention of VHS).  The same is true with the 80s vs the 90s (because of DVDs), etc.  Although VHSs and DVDs provide an extra source of revenue, they diminish the theatrical receipts of a movie.

You can only compare box office over a 10 year period.  And over that 10 year period, Avatar is the biggest box office draw.

BTW, Box office numbers have always been a hobby of mine.  I have written for many publications over the years and still maintain a 9,000 titles database with the first 10 box office weekends of any given movies, plus all the credits, intl. BO, and all pertinent information, kind of like Mojo meets IMDB, but better (seriously!)  I also use it for my poster collecting :), which helps me figure out what I have, want, need, etc.  I've always wanted to put it online at some point, but since I don't know crap about web design and security, I sit on it.  People like Paul Dergarabedian of Exhibitor Relations have offered to buy it from me, but I like to maintain it myself.

T.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:23:47 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
David Kusumoto wrote this on Mopo, and although I do not agree with everything said, I thought it was the most interesting and comprehensive study of Avatar Vs Academy Awards I have read yet.

T

** Meanwhile, you're right, Doug -- "Avatar's" story line has been done 1,000 times before, and that's my only objection to it.  "Avatar's" script resembled "Dances With Wolves Meets the Blue Man Group" -- with the standard theme of "money-grubbing corporations" raping the natural resources of a planet populated by blue aliens -- whose every utterance is noble and forcefully profound, e.g., like lines given to every Native American character in Disney's "Pocahontas." 

** Anyway, I was put in my place by a former colleague and mother of two kids who agreed with me -- but who told me -- (and she was right) -- "you know, you and your historical film references makes you old and out of date -- it makes everything you see today sound irrelevant with a "been there and done that" feeling.  Well, that's not true for everything.  Zillions of people are paying $15 to see 'Avatar' without your historical references; they don't care about "Dances with Wolves" or "Pocahontas."  Even if they did, those pictures were made 15-20 years ago, before today's movie goers were born; they were made in ways that seem obsolete or less engaging to kids today.  This doesn't mean old films are less important.  It just means they're not important to young people YET.  Someday they'll like them.  Like we did.  Geezuz, we weren't all born in 1920.  Young people buy WAY more tickets than old people.  Remember how you used to go to every opening night?  You don't anymore because you hate long lines.  You're not supporting the industry and you're well past the 'sell-by' date for mass entertainment.  So stay at home and watch PBS, TCM or HBO.  'Avatar" may not be the best picture of the year, but it is historic and my kids loved it." 

** I thought about this tirade for a moment and I said, "you know, you're right.  Most people coming out of 'Avatar' are having fun -- and I admit it's astounding that a guy like James Cameron can knock out hit after monster hit, while having total control of material that, unlike Spielberg, always seems to strike industry watchers and the bean counters to have an "iffy" quality -- BEFORE they're released.  Cameron's films never SEEM to feel like they will be guaranteed box office gold until AFTER word-of-mouth spreads." 

** The box-office receipts of Cameron's last three films including "True Lies" -- have blown past everything Spielberg has done since 1993, including "Jurassic Park," a film at the time I thought was a technological game changer.  I just wonder whether "Avatar," even as a "game changer" -- has a story/script worthy enough to be a Best Picture.  "Titanic" beat back those same obstacles in 1997 with an old-fashioned, 1940s type love story that had teenage girls returning in droves. 

** I liked low-budget picture, "The Hurt Locker" -- and was shocked that I also enjoyed the true story of Baltimore Ravens tackle Michael Oher in Sandra Bullock's "The Blind Side" -- but "Avatar" didn't hit me in the gut.  Honestly, the best performances I saw in 2009 came from Meryl Streep as Julia Child in "Julie and Julia" and Christoph Waltz as the smooth Nazi in "Inglourious Basterds." 

** If I had to root for a single picture, it might be "The Hurt Locker," but only because I think it's the first picture about the war without a political message; none of the actors "debate" why they're in Iraq.  There's no sledgehammer message.  It's a strange film whereby the emotional centerpiece is the adrenaline of survival; some soldiers have it and some don't; this adrenaline is all that matters to the main character played by Best Actor nominee Jeremy Renner.  I also thought "The Hurt Locker" was a giant leap for action director Kathryn Bigelow, who's never done anything like this.  If anything, its neutral political stance underscores how many soldiers are ignorant of the politics of anything they're involved in.  They just do their job.

** But my gut feeling is the 9 films going against "Avatar" -- all have the "Gandhi" hex hung around their necks.  That is, if any picture OTHER than "Avatar" wins -- it will be a dubious distinction akin to "Forrest Gump" beating "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Pulp Fiction" in 1994; "Shakespeare in Love" beating "Saving Private Ryan" in 1998; "Chariots of Fire" beating "Reds" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 1981; "Ordinary People" beating "Raging Bull" in 1980; "Platoon" beating " Woody Allen's "Hannah and Her Sisters" in 1986; "The English Patient" beating "Fargo" in 1996; "Dances with Wolves" beating "Goodfellas" in 1990 and "Gandhi" beating "E.T" in 1982 and on and on.  I remember being angry when Oliver Stone's "Platoon" beat Woody Allen's "Hannah" in '86, the latter film much decorated in the all-important acting and screenplay categories.  And last week, I put on "Shawshank" on the DVD player and my wife and I were in tears all over again.  Still a great picture. 

** I know the Oscars are such bullshit (and not the original point of Doug and Kirby's posts below) -- and I know these trophies are laden with the "politics of their day" -- which have proven time and again that the Academy's choices do not a classic make.  But if "Avatar" loses, I sense many will feel like they've witnessed the "crime of the century," further exposing the gulf between the Academy and popular sentiment (arguably as they should be) -- but over a picture that is not only a box-office smash, but has also received good-to-great reviews.  I won't mind if "Avatar" wins because I do know people who think despite its high-school-ish script (esp. the romance) -- that the picture is a critical and commercial juggernaut that should NOT be denied the biggest prize on March 7, which has forced many production companies to re-tool their future releases to integrate the 3D format in a "non-intrusive" way, which is "Avatar's" biggest strength.

** Despite 10 Best Picture nominees, I'm kind of indifferent this year, not one film screams "stupendous."  But I was emotionally responsive to 5 of the nearly 35 films released in 2009, one of which is not even among the 10 nominees:  "The Hurt Locker," "The Blind Side," "Up," "Inglourious Basterds" (despite its excesses) -- and "The (500) Days of Summer," the latter which I thought was going to be a stupid, sophomoric young-love beach film -- but turned out to be a new way of telling a story about a broken urban romance that doesn't get near a beach or a keg-party.  Wonderful surprise.

** A digression -- I did not object to "Annie Hall" beating "Star Wars" in 1977.  "Annie Hall" was a film I saw in contemporaneous release and I did feel at the time that it broke new ground for Woody Allen and for the "urban comedy genre" in a different way that "Star Wars" broke bigger ground for family entertainment the same year.  But I also vividly remember going to work the next day.  My work mates asked me, with great incredulity, "Star Wars lost to Annie WHAT?  Your movie choices SUCK."  I loved both films but I've never forgotten how that experience exposed me as a high-button, stuck-up, holier-than-thou  snob.
My Personal Collection

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
There are a lot of great points made in that response. I don't agree with everything but it is interesting. I think Avatar was a great experience, I too did not get hit in the gut by it because its a story thats been told several times over. To the younger crowd I'm sure it was a better experience for them if they had not seen the classics. The Blind Side did hit me in the gut even though I originally thought I might be wasting my time with the movie when I went to see it. One of the ending shots in the credits shows the Cotton Bowl game which I was at when Old Miss beat my school, Texas Tech. I was sitting on the 50 yard line for that wonderful experience. Overall I think Hurt Locker is the best movie in my opinion. Great story and like metnioned above left the politics to the side which is the reason so many of the previous Iraq war films have failed miserably. Plus I think not knowing a ton of history on each actor in the movie helps because it seperates thier political views as well. When Jamie Fox stars in an Iraq film, everyone knows his thoughts and political agenda on the war - why bother watching. For the most part I enjoy being told a story not always being taught a lesson. I think The Hurt Locker does that better than most of the other films.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Avatar hits $2,500,000,000 worldwide...
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2010, 11:06:24 PM »
$700 US, $2.5 worldwide...  $3 billion depends on Academy Awards results... 

It will be quite something if a movie with a US Box office of $12 million ends up winning.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Avatar hits $2,500,000,000 worldwide...
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2010, 10:34:12 PM »
Just saw Avatar. First half terrific A+. Second half F- stupid endless battle scene. I almost walked out it was so inane. They should cut that movie in half, toss all but the last five minutes of the second half.