Author Topic: What was your "trigger" to begin collecting movie posters?  (Read 18016 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: What was your "trigger" to begin collecting movie posters?
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »
Well the poster is "cool" I think, but the reasons surrounding the initial thought were not pure at heart. Lol

First off, the obvious was the news surrounding it.  And I heard they were going for a lot, so like everyone else I thought it would either be a quick buck or just curious about the prices to check it out.  And then I begin to think about other cool posters I'd seen displayed and was like, yeah that would be fun to display in my "theater" room. So after finding a "Christmas" labeled Interview (not for eBay prices... Lol) then I went looking for the Interstellar IMAX "Ship on Water" One Sheet.  So Interview popped my cherry, but as a movie fan in general it opened up the idea of collecting posters to me.

I never did sell the Interview poster, and currently have both the Fall and Christmas labeled one sheets.  I don't display them, due to limited display room and they are also "brighter" than my usual poster in the led frames.  But still started it all!

The news coverage of The Interview, and its poster, may have resulted in a lot of folks venturing into the poster world.  And a few of them may have gotten "stung" with the vastly inflated prices of the posters, for the brief time when there was all the hubbub about the movie being banned and everything, but often times that initial "sting" is just part of the entire experience.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:50:04 PM by Neo »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »
Yes, I did when I was a teenager to about 25.  Then I grew out of it.  I didn't have that many posters back then, and I wasn't collecting per se.  Just putting pretty girls on the wall.  I didn't start really collecting until 2000 (I had 70 posters in 2000) and never displayed my collection from then on.

T

Cool.  What ladies/movies were featured, if you don't mind me asking?  Do you have any photos of the posters and/or your old home?

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:23:16 PM by Neo »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:08 PM »
Cool.  What ladies/movies were featured, if you don't mind me asking?  Do you have any photos of the posters and/or your old home?

I suggest maybe these actresses were up on the walls:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 11:32:51 PM »
I'm sure there are some nice posters featuring these ladies.  Ms. Goldberg seems like an OK person, and Cher has aged gracefully, IMO.  Who is on the right?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 12:09:22 AM »
Who is on the right?

She has the prettiest smile of the three of them

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2016, 12:51:13 AM »
You have a problem with Toots?  Too close to home?  Great movie, btw.  Sydney Pollack as the agent, Bill Murray as the roommate, super hot Jessica Lange (and best supporting actress)...  I love that movie.

T

Brandon, I'll think about your question.  Great one.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2016, 01:08:00 AM »
Dustin Hoffman as Dorothy Michaels.... aka Tootsie  YES!!

Such a fun and well acted movie. Let alone with costars Jessica Lange, Charles Durning, Dabney Coleman, Teri Garr and Bill Murray. Its one of my faves!  happy1

(Let lone the theme song, "It Might Be You," sung by Stephen Bishop)   clap clap clap

Advance US OS:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:36:58 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:15 AM »
Some interesting responses so far.

For me I owned a comic book shop in the early 90's before the great comic crash and bought some as part of a bulk memorabilia buy from someone. From there I started buying mostly my favorite movie, Star Wars until I had a really awesome and pretty complete US collection. Got bored with it and left the hobby for several years until later a very large chunk of my collection was stolen. After the insurance came through I set out to replace what I had lost or at least as much as I could and it blossomed from there into the full blown addiction that it is today. There are days where I really do need an intervention... or more walls, maybe both.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
You have a problem with Toots?  Too close to home?  Great movie, btw.  Sydney Pollack as the agent, Bill Murray as the roommate, super hot Jessica Lange (and best supporting actress)...  I love that movie.

T

Brandon, I'll think about your question.  Great one.

You could start an epic, new thread.

Dustin Hoffman as Dorothy Michaels.... aka Tootsie  YES!!

Such a fun and well acted movie. Let alone with costars Jessica Lange, Charles Durning, Dabney Coleman, Teri Garr and Bill Murray. Its one of my faves!  happy1

(Let lone the theme song, "It Might Be You," sung by Stephen Bishop)   clap clap clap

Advance US OS:

Tootsie!  I knew I had seen the face before.  Classic. 

nice.thread

Mirosae

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 01:08:13 PM »
Some interesting responses so far.

For me I owned a comic book shop in the early 90's before the great comic crash and bought some as part of a bulk memorabilia buy from someone. From there I started buying mostly my favorite movie, Star Wars until I had a really awesome and pretty complete US collection. Got bored with it and left the hobby for several years until later a very large chunk of my collection was stolen. After the insurance came through I set out to replace what I had lost or at least as much as I could and it blossomed from there into the full blown addiction that it is today. There are days where I really do need an intervention... or more walls, maybe both.

Great story Mike, thanks for sharing.  Good to see where you and other fellow members got the bug. I see that most of us were self-starters. May  I ask? Just curious.. Do you still keep or collect some  comics? I understand  that these too  are very collectable.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:09:13 PM by Mirosae »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
I collected a bunch I got from my old job 2001-2008ish....Didnt know too much back then about how much there really is to know (everyone pinned eveything on the walls in their offices and once and a while you would hear the sound of about a dozen posters releasing from the walls and crashing to the floor because the pushpin gave up trying to hold up that much weight. This is when I saw my first lenticular too. Had a Species on the wall for a long time. My boss gave it away to someone randomly one day when I wasnt there  Doh.gif. So,  I would take some home here and there and stored them flat and unmoved till 2013. Posted about 100 extra copies of everything on ebay. (Modern junk as Mel informed me lol) Like do you know anyone that wants 200 Matrix advance character posters in sets of 7? Let me know lol. Met Holiday on there and I have to say thanks to Holiday for the invite to join APF that lit the fire...or should I be cursing him? Ha undecided!  hmmm.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 11:43:48 PM »

Your question led to a funny little exercise, Brandon.  

I went thru my collection and realized that I had lied.  Girls is not what led me to collecting, more like horror and sci-fi.  For sure I remember that the first poster to ever be on my wall was The Blue Lagoon, which I don't own.  That was my Brooke Shields moment.  The first time I ever thought a girl was pretty.  After that, all the posters below were at one point or the other up in my room.  They're all French, of course, since I lived in Paris.  

The funny thing is, as much as I remember having these posters up on my wall, I didn't own any of them when I "officially" started collecting in 2000.  I re-bought them all.  I guess when you're a kid, you don't really think about collecting stuff.  I probably destroyed them all or lost them.

Most recent on top.

T
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:45:31 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 11:50:27 PM »
I've gotta ask about the "probably destroyed or lost" comment.

That's a slew of posters to have been pitched or lost, not just one or 2.

Do you remember what happened to any of the first copies you ever owned? 

Or maybe your parents dumped them all when you left and went off to college?

Or is it all a BIG  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 11:58:48 PM »
I bought a couple dirt cheap posters for the walls of my dorm room from emovieposter back when they listed on eBay. This was some time back around 2002-2003.  Years passed without me buying another poster, nor even really giving much thought to movie posters.

Then some time in 2008 I happened upon an article about seller dissatisfaction with eBay's fee increases, which mentioned Bruce's then-recent exit from eBay to begin his own auctions.

As I read the article, I remembered purchasing from emovieposter all those years ago and decided to check out the new site. The first auction I looked at had this Danish 39 Steps which I was compelled to buy. The rest is history. Who knew curiously reading an article about eBay fees would end up being so expensive?  ;D

My first "serious" poster purchase from 2008:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 12:04:45 AM »
I've gotta ask about the "probably destroyed or lost" comment.

That's a slew of posters to have been pitched or lost, not just one or 2.

Do you remember what happened to any of the first copies you ever owned?  

Or maybe your parents dumped them all when you left and went off to college?

Or is it all a BIG  dontknow.gif

I honestly don't remember, Jeff.  I know that at some point I decided that I didn't want posters on my walls anymore.  My poster displaying days were officially over.  Might have something to do with college.  Too big?  Not cool enough?  Those posters were never to be seen again.  My feeling is that I tossed them.  Or my mother did, but not without my consent.  They were probably in bad shape anyway, with pin holes and tape.  The new ones are mint.

T  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:06:49 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 12:13:12 AM »
Great story, T.

Reason I was asking is that I still have some rolled posters at my parents house from when I was a teenager (and my family will mark our 50 year anniversary of moving there on April 15th of this year).

So I need to snag those, as the likely first inklings and start of my poster collecting "madness."

-Jeff

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 07:11:28 AM »
Good post Deke.  Is that still your favorite?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2021, 02:10:52 AM »
For me it started at 1970s comic conventions, which should probably have been called "cool old paper, art, and movie room conventions". Also, my mom's first cousin ran a small town movie theatre in Kansas and I could sit in the projection booth with him and look through the posters.  I'd sure like to go back and whisper some ideas into my 12 year old ears!  Okie

Offline ihatefakes

• Beginner
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »
I was looking for a way to squander my childrens inheritance. Just wait til they find out there is no money left, just closets full of old movie posters.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »
Ever since I was a little kid whenever my parents and I went to the movies I would stare up at the posters hanging in the lobby and if it was a good movie or a poster with nice art I would think to myself "that would look so cool hanging on my bedroom wall". But I had no clue how to acquire it, being a child. As I got older I started to seek out the manager of some local theatres and ask about getting the poster after the film left town. And, to a man, it was the same answer every time - "No, no we have to send them back! You can't have it! No!" Naturally, being denied what I wanted only made me want it that much more. A few years later a friend told me that he knew the manager of a local theatre that would sell us posters. I didn't believe him, so I decided to test him. I told him there was a movie showing there now called "Theatre Of Blood" which had a nice poster and I would like to get it. Fine. 2 weeks later I went to my friends house and in the living room there was something rolled up in the corner. He pointed to it so I went over, opened it up and, holy shit, a Theatre of Blood 30x40! In the flesh! This opened the floodgates for me since I then found out about some outfit called National Screen Service where all these goodies came from. Every single poster experience I had, from opening a poster store, acquiring long wanted posters, and making a decent living from them leads back to that day with Vincent Price leering at me holding that bloody eyed skull. It will be the very last poster I relinquish, if ever. Thank you, Vincent.

BTW, that day my friend got the better end of the deal. I got the 30x40 to Theatre Of Blood but he got the 30x40 to High Plains Drifter!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2021, 02:53:07 PM »
Cabman: what a great story you have and tales of the good ole days.  Man, I miss those days.

ihatefakes: Is there perhaps a little bit of that in all of us collectors?  I guess we'll just have to educate the little ones on their at least two step to liquid paper inheritance?!

Okie

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2021, 04:05:20 AM »
When I was 12, I mixed a pot of fake p.uke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the p.uke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.  But, when I looked up, I saw a this poster on the wall for Pale Rider.  I knew right then and there if I could ever have one of those for myself on my wall, then I would try.  And that is what started me collecting posters.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2021, 09:18:23 AM »
^ it's like looking up and seeing Jesus. What a beautiful experience, thanks for sharing

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2021, 11:42:21 PM »
Yeah, Schan, you went all mystical on us!  I teared up a bit.  Hey, OAFCON is October 2-3, same place as always.  Hope you can make it!  Okie

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2021, 08:18:51 PM »
Yeah, Schan, you went all mystical on us!  I teared up a bit.  Hey, OAFCON is October 2-3, same place as always.  Hope you can make it!  Okie

I plan on being there.  I saw on the site which tables are yours, and will try to stop in and say hello!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery