Author Topic: Great movies that deserved better posters  (Read 11889 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Great movies that deserved better posters
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
The OS poster for NETWORK.. very uninspired and rather dull, IMO. I really like the movie. The performances are powerful, needless to say. I think people are still "mad as hell...."  ;)

Not great, but far from the worst.  At least it says something about the movie and the clouds are like hands coming down in judgement.

I think the worst ones are the ones that are the most common.  A head shot of one or two of the stars with some non-offensive background.  Sometimes they look shocked.  Sometimes just bored.  I know it is a bad poster when my mind just passes it by while going through a list.

Bruce kind of hinted at this in the other thread today.  Unfortunately, I can usually eliminate a large percentage of any auction this way, even if it pains me to pass on a classic film because the poster is boring.

BTW, this is what I mean.  Far from a great movie, but a good example:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:47:21 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »
Jay..

Good example of the photo shopped, "let's insert 2 people into this poster who werent even in the same photo session" idea. UGH.

Modern posters of today abound with this. It's too bad.

I can see what you mean about NETWORK poster.. i guess the drawn clouds just look a little to "scribbled" for my taste.  ;) But it is the style, with the cityscape and the crowd, at the bottom, drawn in just pen and ink.

Jeff

edit.. 'cartoony' is the word i was looking for... thanks Ted.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:06:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »

Definitely too 'cartoony' for the subject matter, I think...

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »
I really love the Friday the 13th series. All but the original have crappy posters IMO.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »
I like these two...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)