Author Topic: Great movies that deserved better posters  (Read 11974 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Great movies that deserved better posters
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:32:06 AM »
I'll start:

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Great movies that deserved better posters
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:48:27 AM »
I kinda like both of those...but hey, my taste is in my mouth...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:49:25 AM »
Pretty much any Bogart/Warner Brothers title from the 40s...

tstatum

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:18:52 AM »
I always thought they could have done a better job with this one.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:59:32 AM »
I'll start:

Disagree on this one.  I am unable to display my Nightmare 1-sh because it has always given the kids nightmares.  I think it conveys the sense of the movie pretty well.  Disturbing.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
I knew I could could on Matt to reply for me!  You posted nearly EVERY poster I was thinking of haha!
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »
I guess we should be happy that they expanded their palette to add blue for Dark Passage!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »
These should be a lot better posters, both are first release, Fistful is terrible...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
I guess we should be happy that they expanded their palette to add blue for Dark Passage!

Damn Warner Bros!  Many of the Bogie posters are crap because Warners was his primary studio...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
I agree Paul that FFOD and GBU could have been better but in a way I have always appreciated the simplicity of posters for the Dollars Trilogy...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
Damn Warner Bros!  Many of the Bogie posters are crap because Warners was his primary studio...

Chris.. i'm not following your logic. His movies did well for WB and, yes, he worked for them a lot. Why do you say that reason would result in the studio having "crap" posters designed and made for his films?    :-\

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
I agree Paul that FFOD and GBU could have been better but in a way I have always appreciated the simplicity of posters for the Dollars Trilogy...

And I think that's due to how great the films are, we tend to forgive the posters a little, but they are quick and cheaply done. Such a shame.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
Chris.. i'm not following your logic. His movies did well for WB and, yes, he worked for them a lot. Why do you say that reason would result in the studio having "crap" posters designed and made for his films?    :-\

Jeff

Jeff it all has to do with Warners stylistic theme of that time period - it was not just for Bogie.  They (being Warners) generally produced minimalist posters with simple colours, artwork and graphics when compared with many of the other studios.  

Many of the "Poverty Row" studios had MUCH better poster designs (maybe owing to their intrinsic need to sensationalize their 'lesser' films?).  Even when compared with early RKO and other studios Warner designs were quite often rather bland.  The only redeeming quality with respect to the Bogart posters is that after he became a legitimate star his name was usually featured extremely prominently.

And seeing as many of Bogies best films were made by Warners we as collectors are left with the inferior Warners designs to contemplate.

Then again, maybe all Warners had to do was splash Bogies name (or another star of similiar caliber) on the paper somewhere and that was sufficient to get an audience (as compared to Republic or another poverty studio who often when all out on their posters).
Chris

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
Comfort of Strangers (fantastic movie but poster.....too artsy for my taste , I wonder what Ciriello or similar style wouldve looked like....a 4sh with Walkens face and various scenes surrounding it , wouldve been EPIC  :o

Juli

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Pretty much any Bogart/Warner Brothers title from the 40s...

I see you picked the worst Casablanca paper there was for that film. Can't forget about this great Casablanca paper (I know it's technically not a poster but a lobby card. I always loved this one most of all movie paper):

~ Juli

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
In support of Chris' post of Warner Bros. doin' 'em wrong...
I used to own this one sheet for one of my all-time favorites.
Even though I absolutely love this movie, I couldn't stand the poster.

The Aussies did a much better job with this daybill, eh?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
I love Arsenic and Old Lace too. Its as good as it gets. I run it 6-7 times a year  :)

The poster I cant stand is the Godfather one sheet. I refuse to get one  :P

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
I agree.
I had a GODFATHER half sheet that I also gave the boot to...even worse use of space.. wynk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 03:30:45 PM »
Jeff it all has to do with Warners stylistic theme of that time period - it was not just for Bogie.  They (being Warners) generally produced minimalist posters with simple colours, artwork and graphics when compared with many of the other studios.  

Many of the "Poverty Row" studios had MUCH better poster designs (maybe owing to their intrinsic need to sensationalize their 'lesser' films?).  Even when compared with early RKO and other studios Warner designs were quite often rather bland.  The only redeeming quality with respect to the Bogart posters is that after he became a legitimate star his name was usually featured extremely prominently.

And seeing as many of Bogies best films were made by Warners we as collectors are left with the inferior Warners designs to contemplate.

Then again, maybe all Warners had to do was splash Bogies name (or another star of similiar caliber) on the paper somewhere and that was sufficient to get an audience (as compared to Republic or another poverty studio who often when all out on their posters).

Hi Chris.. i see your point, especially when reading (and seeing) that WB produced some rather bland pieces, overall, during that time. I think you are right, too--splash his name-- and that's all that was needed.

In the early-mid 40's, did WWII and shortages of materials also contribute to bland poster images being produced?

Thanks for the insight and information!   ;D

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
These should be a lot better posters, both are first release, Fistful is terrible...

Um...k...suree ...but....uhhh...I like those posters...very much  8)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »
Lots do Zorba, it's just me. I wanted more from them, even when I first saw them many years ago, I thought, a bit poor for the films...

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
Just about any Brando movie.  Some of the most boring and bland paper you'll find will be for Brando's US poster campaigns.  

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
Just about any Brando movie.  Some of the most boring and bland paper you'll find will be for Brando's US poster campaigns.  

Nothing too bland here, IMO:  ;)

-Jeff

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »
Eh, aside from the Bob Peak art, there's nothing there that does anything for me.  The Italian art for OTW is far superior to its US equivalent