Author Topic: Martin Ansin prints wanted  (Read 14481 times)

Jonkino

Martin Ansin prints wanted
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »
Does anyone have any of the following of Martin Ansin for sale at reasonable price for a not so rich collector?

I am looking for his prints of:

Phantom of the Opera
Metropolis
The Night Porter

Thanks in advance anyone.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Martin Ansin prints wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »
Hi,

So you know, the Night Porter and THX prints were never designed to be limited series.  You can find them as giclées here: http://www.inprnt.com/gallery/martinansin/.  I got both of mine directly from Martin's collection, but that was a personal favor.  He may have a couple regular Phantom left, but I'm not sure.  If he does, which I will know in a few hours, I will have him email you directly.  Metropolis is out.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Jonkino

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
Hi,

So you know, the Night Porter and THX prints were never designed to be limited series.  You can find them as giclées here: http://www.inprnt.com/gallery/martinansin/.  I got both of mine directly from Martin's collection, but that was a personal favor.  He may have a couple regular Phantom left, but I'm not sure.  If he does, which I will know in a few hours, I will have him email you directly.  Metropolis is out.

T

Thanks for your help . Your Night Porter then, is this a original print then rather than a giclee? What's this thing about Glicees? Are they uncool to buy them as it is kinda unlimited ? I've only been collecting these prints for about 6 months and all are screen prints, and I get the feeling that Glicees are frowned upon a bit. Why did Martin never do a screen print of Night Porter? It's really beautiful? Was it more a personal project rather than a commission?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »
If you love Martin's work, as I do, you should get the giclées.  They are not signed, not numbered, but are printed on thick paper and look great.  They were Martin's first public work.  I got this from an old email a few years back: "There never was a "real" release for THX and Night Porter. Those I did before getting in contact with the Alamo, and were made just for the fun of it... I ended putting them up at Inprnt who deal them as giclées, but as you know they aren't limited or anything."  If you're a completist, you should get them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »
If you love Martin's work, as I do, you should get the giclées.  They are not signed, not numbered, but are printed on thick paper and look great.  They were Martin's first public work.  I got this from an old email a few years back: "There never was a "real" release for THX and Night Porter. Those I did before getting in contact with the Alamo, and were made just for the fun of it... I ended putting them up at Inprnt who deal them as giclées, but as you know they aren't limited or anything."  If you're a completist, you should get them.

T

I love mine! Probably will never part from them.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »
But yours are a little bit undersized, right?  A2?  Martin originally offered the prints thru an art gallery in the UK...  Per Martin: "They were a gallery or something, had the prints on commission, the size was A2. Never heard from them again."   :)  That's where you got yours from, right Chad?  I think those were the first ones ever printed, before Martin got famous.

Oh, and asshole, thanks for replying to my email when I let you know about the Aliens print.  And called you too.  Ungrateful!

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »
Thanks for your help .

Jonkino, sorry for the late reply, Martin wasn't sure what he had left, and it turns out he's completely out of the Phantom prints.  He sold a few thru the forum a while back, and only had a handful to sell.  So at this time, your best bet is to renew your post on the forum or try Ebay. although it might be a little difficult since there are only 100 copies out there, 25 variant and 75 regular.

Good luck though,

T
My Personal Collection

Jonkino

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »
Thanks anyway, sure one will come up eventually.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »
Thanks anyway, sure one will come up eventually.

I got my non-variant for $125 four months ago, which is about the cheapest you can hope for.  It's gone for $300+ twice on Ebay recently.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »
Fallenangel got my extra variant for free a couple days ago.  

A trade :)

Maybe you can buy it from him.
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »
LOL .. A fair trade for sure .. But Im still sad over losing Natalie :(