Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 905865 times)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3750 on: March 31, 2020, 02:54:44 PM »
30 anniversary TMNT

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3751 on: April 01, 2020, 01:06:18 AM »
30 anniversary TMNT

Hey Tang Lung!  We just watched the movie again a couple of weeks with our kids: great fun!  I remember being surprised at the toy and comic craze surrounding the Turtles 30+ years ago.  What started out as a black and white comic book kept growing and growing!  Okie

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #3752 on: April 04, 2020, 08:31:53 PM »
Sadly parents moaned , thus #2 & 3 were toned down , id love another like #1 with Barron directing again - prolly never gonna happen though crying

Remember when JP came out with rated 10 , some kids were scared and parents thought 15 rating would be better

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3753 on: December 24, 2020, 12:48:58 AM »
The Bishops Wife (1947).  I had forgotten this movie takes place during Christmas time. I think it is very good.  A great cast all around with Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven, and many more including Elsa Lancaster. I recommend it.  Okie

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3754 on: February 21, 2021, 10:51:32 PM »
High Noon on Olive Films Blu Ray. Such a great film. So very well crafted. Time and tension building handled so well.

A must watch.   

Have watched more movies over this last year than any other. 99% of them re-watches. A good thing that came out of a shit situation.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3755 on: February 22, 2021, 09:37:50 AM »
The People Upstairs (2020) (Spanish film)

Well, this is the first film I have seen in 3 years since I watched Dirty Dancing in a dance school just to be sociable. I don't even have a tv.

I also only watched this just to be sociable, a Spanish teacher friend invited me to the cinema with her Spanish students. The film non stop talked having sexual orgies between the neighbours in the apartments. I thought it was ok because I didn't fall asleep in the film like usually. The teacher friend was mortified and hopes she doesn't get into trouble from the school

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3756 on: May 29, 2021, 12:30:21 AM »
The Indian Detective on Netflix.  I think it has several clever elements.  It also makes huge Mumbai seem like more manageable neighborhoods, rich and poor, then perhaps they are?  The casting is very good, too.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3757 on: July 23, 2021, 01:51:45 AM »
The Devil and Miss Jones (1941). I love Jean Arthur movies! Such a great cast, too. Can you recognize Santa Claus in this one?! Okie

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3758 on: July 24, 2021, 11:02:36 AM »
The Devil and Miss Jones (1941). I love Jean Arthur movies! Such a great cast, too. Can you recognize Santa Claus in this one?! Okie

I have not seen that one yet but I have the Criterion blu ray of Only Angels Have Wings and yeah she is very good in that.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3759 on: July 25, 2021, 01:46:32 AM »
I have not seen that one yet but I have the Criterion blu ray of Only Angels Have Wings and yeah she is very good in that.

You sure are right, Zorba! If Jean Arthur is in it, something good is going to happen.  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #3760 on: July 28, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »
another JA fan here. big fan of screwball comedies, favourite is probably Easy Living but lots of others are as good. also because she was born in 1900 i like how its easy peasy to work out how old she was in the film you're watching with her in. but that's probably just me ;D

back on topic, i recently saw Summer Of Soul and it was easily the best thing i have seen for a long long time. The footage was jaw dropping. Nina Simone - wow - what a woman she was

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3761 on: July 28, 2021, 06:40:09 PM »
I'm so out of it, Redman, that I didn't know Summer of Soul was available.  Going to try and watch it this week.  Thank goodness the Harlem Cultural Festival footage was saved.  Nina, Sly, and my personal soft spot for Marilyn McCoo! I can't wait to watch it. Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3762 on: July 29, 2021, 12:02:59 AM »
Summer of Soul: Redman, you are so right!  My wife and I watched Summer of Soul tonight.  It was fabulous.  I wish it was at least a documentary trilogy. THough, is it a documentary or something that's new? It ties together music, rediscovery, validation, a larger movement, messaging, and so much. Thank goodness the Harlem Cultural Festival was filmed, the film saved, and Questlove got to make this movie 50+ years later. What a gift to us all.  Okie

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3763 on: August 14, 2021, 12:10:10 PM »
In the Mood for Love
Finally got around to watching this. Really enjoyed it. The chemistry of the leads was great. The cinematography was amazing!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3764 on: August 15, 2021, 12:49:58 AM »
In the Mood for Love
Finally got around to watching this. Really enjoyed it. The chemistry of the leads was great. The cinematography was amazing!

Nice choice, Jpicken! My wife and I enjoyed this movie some years back as well.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3765 on: December 03, 2023, 11:17:29 PM »
Godzilla Minus One.  I thought it was excellent.  Okie

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3766 on: December 13, 2023, 03:12:41 AM »
New "World of Wong Kar Wai" 4K 8-disc set from Criterion, remastered by the director. The sets were originally plagued with discs that froze midway through. Criterion made it right, replacing the discs after sending them photos with the owner's name and address written on the defective discs with Sharpie. The aspect ratio changes aren't as disappointing to me as the new color grading everywhere, especially on In the Mood for Love where the warm reds have been given the green/teal treatment. Grading and saturation on the other films have changed a bit as well, but it's more noticeable to me on my favorite, "In the Mood'. The image quality (sharpness and grain) is only marginally improved. So, I'm glad I still have my original 2K version of "in the Mood".

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3767 on: February 10, 2024, 09:31:59 PM »
New "World of Wong Kar Wai" 4K 8-disc set from Criterion, remastered by the director. The sets were originally plagued with discs that froze midway through. Criterion made it right, replacing the discs after sending them photos with the owner's name and address written on the defective discs with Sharpie. The aspect ratio changes aren't as disappointing to me as the new color grading everywhere, especially on In the Mood for Love where the warm reds have been given the green/teal treatment. Grading and saturation on the other films have changed a bit as well, but it's more noticeable to me on my favorite, "In the Mood'. The image quality (sharpness and grain) is only marginally improved. So, I'm glad I still have my original 2K version of "in the Mood".

In the Mood for Love was such a great movie!  We need to go back and watch more Won Kar-wai movies.  Thanks, Dr Bill.  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3768 on: February 18, 2024, 11:04:29 PM »
Omg, brillance.  I just showed Close Encounters to my 3 kids, 10, 10 & 5.  I was expecting “too slow”, “boring”, “next”.  None of the above.  They loved it!!!  Give it to Spielberg, he’s in a league of his own where kids can watch a 50 year old movie and it is as relevant today as it was back then.

I’m on cloud 9!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3769 on: March 06, 2024, 11:32:46 PM »
That sure is refreshing news to hear, T!  I remember when we showed Back to the Future to our two oldest kids when they were about 14 and 12 years old.  Their reaction was "Mom, Dad, why didn't you tell us about this movie before!!!"  Okie

Omg, brillance.  I just showed Close Encounters to my 3 kids, 10, 10 & 5.  I was expecting “too slow”, “boring”, “next”.  None of the above.  They loved it!!!  Give it to Spielberg, he’s in a league of his own where kids can watch a 50 year old movie and it is as relevant today as it was back then.

I’m on cloud 9!!!

T