Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 915146 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »
We re-watched Daredevil last night, forgot what a dull film this really is. Quickly followed it with the 43 Phantom of the Opera, Quite a lot of singing in this one :-\ the Technicolor is jollyfine though. I can watch almost anything in Technicolor.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:07 AM »
I went and saw Thor yesterday afternoon. It wasnt great but it was good enough. It waas entertaining. The guy was good( whats his name?) in the lead. Hopkins is always good. The only problem I had was the romance with Jane Foster(Portman who looked really good) seemed forced.

7/10 and worth the watch.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
Thor last night, and really enjoyed it.  Superhero adaptations are really easy to screw up and the story of a flying bodybuilder with a red cape and a large hammer is certainly laughable.  But Kenneth Branagh gave it an added Shakespearean dimension without taking the subject matter too seriously and it worked, at least for me.  Chris Hemsworth is great casting and made my wife all mushy inside.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
Superhero adaptations are really easy to screw up and the story of a flying bodybuilder with a red cape and a large hammer is certainly laughable.  

I was scared of this one but they did pull it off very nicely.

Where once I was very afraid, I am now more optimistically looking forward to seeing what they do with The Avengers.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »
Didnt get to see Thor yet, waiting for my boy to not have plans with a friend! I expected more out of first week opening box office, hopefully they do not see a 60% plus drop, but that is the norm this time of year.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
I don't think they will.  And 66 mil is not too bad.  The title is not as famous as other Marvel endeavors, the lead is unknown and Fast Five is still doing good business.  It's not an amazing opening, but very decent.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
I watched Thor on Wednesday night. That script needed at least two more drafts and Natalie Portman and her comic relief friend were entirely unnecessary and did not service to the story. The ending is also backwards, which unless it plays a pivotal role in how The Avengers plays out, it's a moronic decision.

But for a movie with such a lousy script and what appears to be entirely unfinished special effects, it still wound up "good". I'd give it a solid 6/10.

I don't think they will.  And 66 mil is not too bad.  The title is not as famous as other Marvel endeavors, the lead is unknown and Fast Five is still doing good business.  It's not an amazing opening, but very decent.

T

Also worth noting the movie already made $150m overseas.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2011, 04:33:23 AM »
watched ep 2 of game of thrones last night.. looks like hbo have pulled another great series..

They pulled off a great adaptation.  The books are right up there among the best fantasy series since Lord of the Rings.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »
tuesday night i purchased and watched i saw the devil. not because of mondo, i had been wanting to see this flick for months but it didnt play anywhere near me.

the film is excellent, the cinematography is gorgeous, and the acting was flawless. That being said if you are the least bit squeamish or disturbed by violence STAY AWAY from this movie. it was an extremely brutal film and not just parts of it, the whole movie is very violent throughout.

anyone that can stomach it should. with a runtime of 2hr 20min i did not find myself getting tired of reading (there is a english audio option but i would not suggest that on any foreign film) or asking when is this thing gonna end if anything i wanted more when it was through. i will honestly re-watch and enjoy sometime soon, its that good.

bottom line the best new movie I have seen in months if not half a year. check it out.

tstatum

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2011, 10:42:43 PM »
In celebration of my poster being linen backed I watched Cool Hand Luke for the umpteenth time.  I love Paul Newman but George Kennedy always steals the show. 

tstatum

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:57 PM »
"Sometimes nothin's a real good hand", still and always will be my favorite line from any movie.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »
Thor - 2011 - I really enjoyed this one.  How can you be hard on a movie that features a Norse God soap opera?  I certainly can't!  I don't know if Portman has ever looked better - something about her eyes.  Solid 8/10.
Chris

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »
last night I watch the first four friday the 13ths. played drinking games with my friends during the films, it was a good time.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:39 PM »
Has anyone seen Bridesmaids?  The wife is dragging me tomorrow night.  I LOVE Kristen Wiig on SNL...  Gilly!  Giiiiiillly!  So that's a definite plus.  A friend of mine produced it but I missed the premiere.  So I'd love to hear from any of the dudes on here who have been dragged by their significant others.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »
Has anyone seen Bridesmaids?  The wife is dragging me tomorrow night.  I LOVE Kristen Wiig on SNL...  Gilly!  Giiiiiillly!  So that's a definite plus.  A friend of mine produced it but I missed the premiere.  So I'd love to hear from any of the dudes on here who have been dragged by their significant others.

T
I wish my life was so exciting..I am currently in a room with my wife,i am forced to watch...Eurovision !!
Come on Estonia!!

Stew

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »

T

The whole staff (save the one girl we don't like) previewed it for ourselves on Wednesday and we all loved it. It's hard to say it's anything short of hysterical, albeit long for a comedy. You won't come out disappointed, but because comedy is subjective, I can't promise you'll be wowed.

But the general populace and I are in agreeance: it's the best comedy in the past year and a half.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2011, 11:20:23 PM »
The whole staff (save the one girl we don't like) previewed it for ourselves on Wednesday and we all loved it. It's hard to say it's anything short of hysterical, albeit long for a comedy. You won't come out disappointed, but because comedy is subjective, I can't promise you'll be wowed.

But the general populace and I are in agreeance: it's the best comedy in the past year and a half.

That may say far more about the current state of comedic film, than for the quality of Bridesmaids.  It also says something about how soul-crushingly terrible most 'chick flicks' are.

Bridesmaids is a good flick (2 1/2 to 3 stars) that has hits and misses, but just never feels as funny as it clearly aspired to be (a female 40-Year Old Virgin).  Kristen Wiig, who is a born side man, gets to be a bit much as the central character with the low level commenting thing that is her trademark.  The film is getting higher notices (mainly by those with high levels of estrogen) than normal based on the simple novelty of combining raunch comedy and rom-coms from the female perspective.

As a comparison, I laughed far more at Scott Pilgrim, Machete, Kick-Ass, Youth in Revolt, Piranha 3D, and on a similar level to Easy A, Tangled, Get Him to the Greek and The Other Guys.

BTW - Hesher is a masterclass on the improper use of tone.  It's Little Miss Sunshine, with a Metallica fan in the role of the ten year old, but nowhere near as good.  Also, Everything Must Go needed a new third act.  Cave of Forgotten Dreams (3D) is the best thing in theaters right now - simply fascinating. Rio and Fast Five are the same film.  The Beaver is a very serious and occasionally funny film, but Mel is terrific, while the flim only reaches 'good'.  Christoph Waltz's solid performance in Water for Elephants is the only thing worth mentioning, but just makes you want to watch Inglourious Basterds again.  Thor was a standard comic flick that pretty much wasted Natalie Portman's time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:36:29 PM by archie leach »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »
Just saw Thor and it was better than I had expected.  Looking forward to The Avengers and X-Men, and can't wait until L.A. Noire for Xbox 360 on Tuesday, that's a video game some of you old timers here would probably like.  ;D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:37 AM »
and can't wait until L.A. Noire for Xbox 360 on Tuesday, that's a video game some of you old timers here would probably like.  ;D

Ahhh...Thats what that is  ;)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »
Just saw Thor and it was better than I had expected.  Looking forward to The Avengers and X-Men, and can't wait until L.A. Noire for Xbox 360 on Tuesday, that's a video game some of you old timers here would probably like.  ;D

Xbox's LA NOIRE looks really interesting.
Great concept for a video game.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »
Xbox's LA NOIRE looks really interesting.
Great concept for a video game.

I agree - makes me want to upgrade from my NES/SNES and get an Xbox just so I can play it...
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
I agree - makes me want to upgrade from my NES/SNES and get an Xbox just so I can play it...

laugh1  Yeah man.  The games from Rockstar Games are awesome.  From the story line to the graphics and everything.  Another good one that is going to be released by them in the Fall is Max Payne 3.  And hopefully they will continue with the Grand Theft Auto line, because the last one (GTA IV and the add-ons - The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony) were insanely kick ass.  But yeah, I'll let y'all know sometime this week how L.A. Noire is and start a new thread on it.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »
And hopefully they will continue with the Grand Theft Auto line, because the last one (GTA IV and the add-ons - The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony) were insanely kick ass.  But yeah, I'll let y'all know sometime this week how L.A. Noire is and start a new thread on it.

Ill be there bro... I agree 100% on the GTA IV line and lets not forget the sweetness that was RDR.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »
Ill be there bro... I agree 100% on the GTA IV line and lets not forget the sweetness that was RDR.

Yeah man, Red Dead Redemption, I forgot about that one.  Another classic.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »

;D I may have a tasty little piece of Hardware you might be interested in Chris,,its quite new..its called a Mega Drive...Pm me anytime, my fellow tech geek..

Stew